BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a good question for you. I have had my audi s4 for a couple years and want to upgrade. I am 26 years old so space isnt a big concern. I am looking into either an M5 or c2. Both will cost me about the same. Strictly in the performance/comfort areas how do they compare. i know size wise they are very different. I know this is a hard comparison but please help me out.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
You can find specs on the M5 performance on my web page:

<A href=http://myweb.ncal.verio.com/~greg/m5>Anthracite M5</a>

You'll have to research the Porsche elsewhere. You can always find a lot of performance specs in the back of Road and Track and Car and Driver.

What the specs won't tell you is how they feel to drive.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If I must say... the BMW is more well suited for the person with the family due to it having 4 doors. I'm going to say that a BMW M5 would take a c2 911 at any speed. A turbo would take an M5 most of the time due to its phenomonal launches (due in part because of AWD) and turbo giving the extra kick at higher revs. It would still be a nice race and I doubt the M5 would ever be out of it. It's all about the driver I would say

- matt -

·
Registered
91 Posts
You absolutely need to drive them personally! I have only tested each of them on surface streets for about 20 minutes. Both are very comfortable – worlds better than the S4. The M5 has more luxury touches, feels very solid and strong. Overall, the M5 seems to be a lot more car for the money (if that matters). With the DCS off, it was easy to lose traction at low speeds and high acceleration (in other words – burn rubber), which is not so good for performance. With the DCS on, the M5 cuts the power way too soon for my taste.

The C2 was prone to over-steer by the unsuspecting driver who gives it too much power around corners. I was driving with the owner of the dealership, who just kept talking as my heart skipped a beat when I took a corner a little too hot and the rear wheels started to slide out. I am sure you get to the point where this adds to one’s ability to get around corners in a most exciting fashion.

Both are great cars in my mind.

For what it’s worth, I passed on the Porsche, and have an M5 on order.

·
Registered
257 Posts
CB,

I have an M5, and have had a 993 C2... and spent some time in a 996 C2. First, both may have similar performance numbers, but they drive very differently. And, no, a 911 no longer has oversteer problems (the old lift-off variety)... it actually understeers when pushed (this from someone who drove one for 18k miles in Europe and the US, with occasional track use). Even if the numbers are even, the Porsche certaibly feels and sounds sportier.

I think everyone should own a rear-engine Porsche once in their life... so get the Porsche. And this stuff about an M5 almost keeping up with a 996 TT, forget it. 415 hp in 3350 lbs is going to go alot faster than 400 hp in 3850 lbs. Period.

Driver comfort is about the same in the M5 and 996 (the 993 was a bit cramped). Get the Porsche now, and try an M5 later on.

Dan

·
Registered
417 Posts
CB,

A dealer recently tried to convince me that "if I drive a Porsche for a weekend, I'll forget all about that M5" which is on order right now. The demo car was a slightly used (don't remember the exact year) C4S, it seemed like a TT minus the turbos. Here's why I stuck with the M5:

1) The interior is crude. It is strictly functional, and that is what some people want...just simple and functional. But after checking out the M5's sophisticated interior and features, the Porsche seemed a bit primitive.

2) Yeah the Porsche handles better, and yeah the M5 accelerates better...but for someone who isn't going to race (I do, not sure if you will), it all comes down to how it feels. I did not care for the sound of the Porsche (IMHO, no flames please). A 6 banger that has such an output without the aide of forced induction probably should sound loud and thrashy, funny though, I sure like the sound of an M3. You'll have better road/driver communication in the Porsche, depends on if you want that...to some people that feature gets labeled as "rough riding".

3) I'm 23 years old, but it doesn't mean I won't have passengers...I enjoy driving so much that I always want to drive when my friends and I go out. This is one reason why I chose the M5. Both cars will give you an exhilarating roadgoing experience, only one will let you share with some friends!

4) The Porsche gets a lot of attention, and it should, it's a beautiful car. But one experience I had that weekend made me rethink if it was a positive attribute for a daily driver. I was getting a sandwich at a local deli and when I parked a few young men looked over and snickered. I read it as "look at that college kid's fancy ride". The whole time I was eating I couldn't stop thinking if the car was getting keyed. Who knows how many times I would have to endure worries about the car if it was my daily driver for a few years. That problem wouldn't of existed if a) I was 20yrs. older or b) my car was not as noticeable. Maybe I'm just a worrysome person, but if you can see a situation like that than you should consider a less conspicuous ride. As an added bonus, think about the time that you cruise by a trooper going like 15mph over and he is about to decide if he should pull you over. I'd say the bimmer has a better chance of dodging that bullet!

Hope this helps.
-Shawn

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally posted by RaMsEs:
A dealer recently tried to convince me that "if I drive a Porsche for a weekend, I'll forget all about that M5" which is on order right now.
I called a Porsche dealer to arrange a test drive of the Boxster S and the 911. When I mentioned that I was also looking at the Corvette, the M Roadster and the M5, he told me that after I drove the M5 that I wouldn't be back for the Porsche. Then he went on for about 15 minutes about how great the M5 is. Tt was the strangest dealer experience I've ever encountered.

one experience I had that weekend made me rethink if it was a positive attribute for a daily driver. I was getting a sandwich at a local deli and when I parked a few young men looked over and snickered. I read it as "look at that college kid's fancy ride". The whole time I was eating I couldn't stop thinking if the car was getting keyed. Who knows how many times I would have to endure worries about the car if it was my daily driver for a few years. That problem wouldn't of existed if a) I was 20yrs. older or b) my car was not as noticeable. Maybe I'm just a worrysome person, but if you can see a situation like that than you should consider a less conspicuous ride.
I don't think that being older would have saved you there. The Porsche has an image that isn't pretty. There was actually an article about long distance sports car test about 6 months ago in one of the American car magazines that stated that the Porsche got more thumbs-down (amongst other gestures) and glares, whereas most of the other cars (which included a Ferrari and a Vette, but I don't remember the other cars) got thumbs-up gestures and appreciative glances. When I told my friends/family that I was looking at the Porsche, some would say, "don't do that!". One person said, "you're too nice a guy for a Porsche". Please don't take this is Porsche bashing... I love the cars. I'm just pointed out that there are quite a lot of people who have negative stereotypes in their heads about Porsche drivers.

As an added bonus, think about the time that you cruise by a trooper going like 15mph over and he is about to decide if he should pull you over. I'd say the bimmer has a better chance of dodging that bullet!
I'll be getting my M5 in a few weeks, so I hope you're right about that for my license's sake.

- TheTooth

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
M5 feels torquier despite its weight disavdantage. I agree that the 996 tends to push, whereas the M5 feels genuinely balanced / neutral.

While I like the 996's interior a lot (especially in beige or what have you), I can't say much more cuz IMO a water-cooled 911 is Sacrilege

Alps

·
Registered
188 Posts
I swapped my 993 (air-cooled) for an M5 a month ago (see "Test Drive Trade:porsche for M5 on this Board for post-driving compariso ns). Basically the 993 feels more like a spartan race car, while the M5 feels like a super-powerful luxury sedan. I think the difference narrows with the 996, which is more like a GT -- little less edgy, more luxurious, but still a 2 seater. If you need 4 seats, M5 cannot be beat...if 2 seater is enough, Porsche experience is a little more out of the ordinary from usual sedan.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with Daniel.

I love my M5, but if my wife wasn´t pregnant, I would be driving a 996 Porsche at least for the next 2 o 3 years.

Originally posted by daniel:
CB,

I think everyone should own a rear-engine Porsche once in their life... so get the Porsche. ....

... Get the Porsche now, and try an M5 later on.

Dan
Jlsebas.

·
Registered
656 Posts
All I gotta say is, ain't life great if this is your only dilemma.

But, I've been there. And all of these posts are saying the right stuff although they're probably not giving the answer you wanted.

For me, the only reasonable comparison is between the M5 and the TT. I'll probably get flamed for this but, I don't feel that the "plain" 993 or 996 is in the same league as the M5. They're just not "brutal" enough.

You should try to find a nice '96 or '97 993TT, hopefully for $85,000 or so. Then, if you're feeling brave, give another $9,500 to the guys at AutoThority, and end up with a nice, reliable, 500bhp e-ticket ride. That's what I'd have done if my wife wasn't involved in the decision

·
Registered
63 Posts
MWM,

It's interesting that you mentioned the Porsche 993 twin turbo. Like many others on the board, I've been very confused by the many excellent choices out there, so I test drove a BMW M5, Ferrari 360, Ferrari 456 GT, and Porsche 993 TT in the past two months.

For me, the Porsche was the clear winner in terms of performance. It was so damn easy to drive fast, and its all-wheel drive made it incredibly stable. Despite her initial hesitation to drive it, my wife was totally comfortable, driving fast, and smiling from ear to ear within five minutes of getting behind the wheel (I guess I'm lucky, because my wife is now actually pushing for the Porsche!).

The BMW was every bit the car that the 456 was (and better built, I'm sure), but the 360 was clearly faster and more agile - but less fun and confidence-inspiring for this amateur driver than the TT.

Although four-door, four-seat sports sedans have come a LONG way in recent years, I still don't honestly think an M5 (or E55 or XJR or S55 etc) can match a top-of-the-line, pure sports car like the TT or 360 in terms of acceleration off the line or handling. A GT (or base Carrera 2), perhaps, but the best sports cars, no.

Daniel summed it up nicely - the M5 is still a heavy car, which is an enemy when it comes to pure performance. Ferrari's Montezemolo is quoted as saying, "I'll take a 10% reduction in weight anytime over a 10% increase in horsepower."

So, the decision is actually easy. Get a Porsche (preferably turbo) if you want a pure thoroughbred sports car, or the M5 if you want a hybrid incorporating the best of all worlds. The M5 splits the gap between pure sports cars and pure luxury cars so well, but it is a compromise solution that loses some of the best features of both (such as the interior room of the Mercedes S55).

By the way, I'm not sure why, but the Porsche 993 C4S that I drove was not nearly as stable or sporty as the TT - I know it's slower by almost 2 seconds to 60mph, but my wife and I still couldn't figure out why the one we drove was so inferior to the TT in terms of surefootedness. Does anyone have an explanation?

Good luck with your decision, CB.

Warm regards,

Anir

·
Registered
533 Posts
Originally posted by thetooth:
..Porsche got more thumbs-down (amongst other gestures) and glares, whereas most of the other cars (which included a Ferrari and a Vette, but I don't remember the other cars) got thumbs-up gestures and appreciative glances.
- TheTooth
Very true. I get more looks and thumbs up in my vette than in the M5 suprisingly. Its probably due to people thinking its just a 540 with a bodykit or something.

I say get the M5!

------------------
00' ///M5 Titanium Silver/Caramel

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've only had my M5 for 3 weeks but have had a C4 for 6 years. The C4 is a sports car in that it gives more feeling & feedback which the M5 has dampened out. The 9 year old Porsche attracts a lot of attention than the new M5 which I got without badges. The only people who notice my M5 are car people which gets you into nice conversations. They are two great cars for entirely different reasons and I enjoy them both. As far as performance, how often do you get to the top end? except on the track considering the increasing use of laser. The cars will perform way beyond most of our capabilities.I have been beaten on the race track by better drivers in a Passat. Enjoy what ever you get life should always be filled wiyh yhese tough decisions.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Took an acquaintance's '97 V8 Lotus Esprit TT for a good haul last Friday.

They say "there's no replacement for displacement," but I must say that good-old BOOST is pretty addictive. Particularly with a chassis and brakes like that.

It was like a shrink and a vacation all wrapped up into one.

Must have one day. But keeping the beast

Alps

·
Registered
352 Posts
well my M5 is allright but I just bought the new 760i it's pretty good incept for the fact that its a little balky

·
Registered
352 Posts
no i meANT 750I

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey rsteele I have a question hows the new m5 drive

1 - 20 of 24 Posts