BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to look at other cars again. My M5 is approaching 60k miles and they appear to start needing expensive fixes CPO or not. But it spoils you looking at new cars.

Last summer I drove a 645Ci, Porsche 996 C4S, and a CTS-V. The CTS-V was quick but rough around the edges for a daily driver. The 645Ci was a bit short on the power I'm used to but overall was the nicest to drive with the Porsche being the most fun and not bad to live with daily.

I test drove an '05 Corvette 6 speed last night. They are still a very stiff ride but overall it was nice. Fast, tight handling, and a lot of features but I thought the short throw shifter was hard to get used to. The M5 feels quicker at certain RPMs and gears but the Corvette was easier to launch.

I wonder if the 650Ci or 997 Porsches are improved over what I drove last year. They're both closer to the power-to-weight ratio of the M5.

Any other thoughts? I would prefere a 2+2 coupe over a sedan or 2 seater. I also want to keep the purchase under 80k. That unfortunately rules out the new Ms (and Porsche beyond the base 997).

·
Registered
518 Posts
How about the new aluminum Jaguar XK?

The optional Magnetic ride control makes for a more comfortable ride in the new C6 Corvette than the base suspension.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you liked the vette then check out the reviews in the new issues of the auto magazines, e.g., road & Track, Motor Trend, etc., of the 2006 Corvette Z06. It is a 2 seater, but the price is right and the performance is great.

Don't forget the 2006 BMW M3 (6 cyl engine). I guess you could call it a 2+2. It will handle like a BMW and the car and engine can be modded. Also the engine can be s/c'ed if more hp is needed. Price is in your range, even with the competition package.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Overall the C6 is the cheapest with most power! I used to make fun of that american machine until I had a taste of it!

The A/C is amazing the Soundsystem is blowing the navigation is awesome! but a stock exhaust system on a C6 would be a shame!

B&B or Borla would do the job right! the LS2 engine is a master piece with alot of tricks and cheap to tune and the upcoming LS7 and the upcoming 600+HP C6 Z06.

but remember! The traction will never get close at any german engineering neither the safety!!...!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would take a serious look at the Noble M400, the new z06 may be fast but it certainly doesn't offer the driving experience the m400 does. It's the fastest,most exciting car and best handling car I have ever driven. Car and Driver just did a test on a Noble m12(slower than the m400) which resulted in Zero to 60 mph 3.3 sec
Zero to 100 mph 8.1 sec
Zero to 150 mph 26.6 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph 3.9 sec
Standing 1/4-mile 11.8 sec @ 118 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph 167 ft
and a recent Robb Report article http://nobleforums.com/showthread.php?t=462&highlight=robb+report also praises the Noble M400 when they compared it to the Carrera GT

Rick

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In a daily driver, I'm not looking for raw speed. I want a quick car with decent comfort and plenty of amenities. The M5 offers room, comfort, luxury, performance, handling, safety, and relative value. Few cars come close to that overall combination. Among 4 doors, I've driven the Caddy CTS-V and Mercedes C55. The Caddy was very "plasticy" compared to the M5 and the C55 seemed small. I think the Porsche 911 C4S had a better ride than both. The new M5 is 10-15% more cost and not as good looking plus I'm willing to sacrifice rear seat room and want a 2 door coupe this time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes, you are right, but a noble m400 is more than just raw speed, obviously you've never driven it, it sounds like you've made up your mind about the m5, if that's the case, why even ask people what other cars to consider? As far as I know, the new m5s will be out sometime in november of this year

·
Registered
336 Posts
How much for an AMV8? Under $100k? If so I'd take that any day of the week.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Richard in NC, sounds like you want a 911! :)
If you have the money, go with 911 and also check out the new aston.
If youre a bit short on cash right now, go with the vette.

fitnutrn, noble is one of the best cars there are at any price, but it sounds that it will be a bit too focused for Richard. Also, C&D are pushing it... More like 3.9 for 3R and 3.5-7 for m400 as far as i remember. But handling is awsome, so who gives a cake :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Fixing what ever issues with your current M5 will
be cheaper than another car.

but if your itching to spend some $$$
supercharge your M5.. and put on some nice
wheel/tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts