BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love my 2013 m5 and plan on keeping it, but I happen to be at an Audi dealership shopping for an SUV for the wife and they had a 2014 r8 in there fully loaded with the colours I like. Looked unreal, and now that it has the double clutch tran I was considering taking a Stab if they knocked a bunch off msrp. That was the biggest reason I stayed away in the past was the terrible r Tronic clutch it use to have, but this puts the package together IMHO. This one was the 525hp model and I wouldn't do the S version simple because I heard the ride is too harsh. Anyway, I am curious how this car would stack up to our m's for acceleration in real works driving and quarter mile. I've had my M at the track and ran 11.9 at 122mph and 12 sec flat consistently. Both great cars although I'll admit I'm a hp nut but just curious on some comments and thoughts. I've read they are pretty equal on acceleration which I found surprising?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The R8 would not embarrass the M5 but the R8 is obviously going to be quicker everywhere. This only applies to the V10 variants of the R8 however as the V8 really isn't that quick.

Where the R8 falls down is the interior as it's about 10yrs old & looks horrific for a £110K car. I had a V10 Plus on an extended test drive last year & it was a hugely capable car & sounded awesome, but the interior is a real let down on such a premium vehicle.

Audi R8 V10 5.2 FSI Coupé (2013) lap times and specs - FastestLaps.com
BMW M5 (F10) lap times and specs - FastestLaps.com

Reactions: Tuddie

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The regular R8 V10s with 6 speed manuals are pretty spot on with a DCT equipped F10 M5. I haven't seen too many stock DCT equipped R8 V10 times at the drag strip, but I imagine the R8 would post better ETs (AWD is a huge advantage for ETs) but probably around the same trap speed as an F10 M5 in similar conditions. I love the R8, a gorgeous car with commanding presence. It seems like everyone stops in their tracks when one rolls down the street. It is a great car. Get it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yah I've always loved the styling, and for 2014 the diamond stitching I think has really improved the looks of the interior.....seats and roof have this pattern and the whole interior including dash is leather so not sure I agree that it isn't up to snuff? But maybe it's because the M has such a beautiful interior IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diamond stitch option.....going to see them in a few hours to see if numbers are what I want. Only thing holding me back is 2015s are around the corner, and in a few years car may get a refresh possibly? I know 2014 was a refresh already on some styling cues, and this diamond stitch interior is new. They didn't make the r8 for 2013 when it went through this refresh for 2014. I am asking for a min of 20k of msrp? Would love some comments?

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was at the same Audi store a couple weeks ago with a friend that wanted to test drive A6s. zzzzzzzzzz.
I saw that black one and the red one on the floor. Beautiful car. $$$

·
Registered
133 Posts
I get to Edmonton a few times a year, usually the worst times. Can you run that R8 with snow tires?

Great looking car though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I get to Edmonton a few times a year, usually the worst times. Can you run that R8 with snow tires?

Great looking car though.
I would wager yes you can, but only when the snow is less than 12" deep and the ruts are less than 4" deep.

Reactions: ticat928

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Yah I've always loved the styling, and for 2014 the diamond stitching I think has really improved the looks of the interior.....seats and roof have this pattern and the whole interior including dash is leather so not sure I agree that it isn't up to snuff? But maybe it's because the M has such a beautiful interior IMHO.
The newer styling of seats does lift the interior a little, but sit inside a C5 RS6+ & then jump into an R8 & apart from the roof height & a few badges, the interiors are virtually the same but the C5 RS6 is 12yrs old.

The R8 is the last in the Audi range to get an interior upgrade, all they've done is pretty up the wrapping paper with new leather stitching but the dash/tech/interior is well over 10yrs old now.

Reactions: Broker73

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So they pulled out an r8 that the owner has been driving and allowed me to test drive it....this one was the plus version so a little stiffer and 25more hp, although I highly doubt the 25hp between the two cars would make any difference. I drove this car years ago when it had the R tronic tranny and all I can say is its a completely different experience now. I love the double clutch in ours cars but this S tronic definitely shifts faster than ours and is totally seamless. I was surprised how compliant the plus version of this car was, even in city stop and go traffic. The accel though is very different from our cars and there is a linear power band that you get with these high revving engines. It reminded me of the ferrari 458 I took around a track in Vegas. I love my M5, all the tech inside etc, but clearly I can't compare the two. In stock form we'd for sure run with this car, and the M feels more torquey for sure. But the v10 scream is amazing. As far as the interior, I think it looked nice, and with leather and alcantara everywhere I thought it looked good. Yes the MMI drive is maybe outdated, and you don't get soft close doors and have a turn key start, but once we turned on the bang and Olufsen then ran it to red Line that seemed to not even be on my mind. And apparently APR has been tuning this v10 and basically restores what audi took away so it doesn't compete with the big brother lambo. There's easily another 50-60hp left in this v10. Anyway, the transmission was awesome but it also definitely made me appreciate the M5.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
So they pulled out an r8 that the owner has been driving and allowed me to test drive it....this one was the plus version so a little stiffer and 25more hp, although I highly doubt the 25hp between the two cars would make any difference. I drove this car years ago when it had the R tronic tranny and all I can say is its a completely different experience now. I love the double clutch in ours cars but this S tronic definitely shifts faster than ours and is totally seamless. I was surprised how compliant the plus version of this car was, even in city stop and go traffic. The accel though is very different from our cars and there is a linear power band that you get with these high revving engines. It reminded me of the ferrari 458 I took around a track in Vegas. I love my M5, all the tech inside etc, but clearly I can't compare the two. In stock form we'd for sure run with this car, and the M feels more torquey for sure. But the v10 scream is amazing. As far as the interior, I think it looked nice, and with leather and alcantara everywhere I thought it looked good. Yes the MMI drive is maybe outdated, and you don't get soft close doors and have a turn key start, but once we turned on the bang and Olufsen then ran it to red Line that seemed to not even be on my mind. And apparently APR has been tuning this v10 and basically restores what audi took away so it doesn't compete with the big brother lambo. There's easily another 50-60hp left in this v10. Anyway, the transmission was awesome but it also definitely made me appreciate the M5.
Are you sure you didn't get a placebo effect with the S-Tronic in the R8? It's a good transmission but certainly isn't as quick as the M-DCT & they're quite some distance apart in technology terms as the R8 uses an early incarnation of the S-Tronic which is about 4yrs old now. Where the R8's box does excel is the aural feedback & ferocity of change which certainly gives the feeling of rapid changes & the overall effect is epic.

Overall, the R8 V10 Plus is still one of the best cars i've driven & once it's given a much needed facelift (internal more than external) then it would be a real contender but i can't get away from a brand new £125K car having the interior from a decade old Audi:(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The stronic in the r8 shifts at .12secs if I'm not mistaken? And yes our cars shift fast but I'm telling yah the downshifts you don't even feel in the r8 and up shifts were almost invisible. So no way ours shifts faster. And again I'm pretty sure the stronic in this car is a modified version of what's in the RS models. It shocked me how fast it was. Read the reviews online, and the only trannys they said could "possibly" be better is the Ferrari double clutch or gtr?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The stronic in the r8 shifts at .12secs if I'm not mistaken? And yes our cars shift fast but I'm telling yah the downshifts you don't even feel in the r8 and up shifts were almost invisible. So no way ours shifts faster. And again I'm pretty sure the stronic in this car is a modified version of what's in the RS models. It shocked me how fast it was. Read the reviews online, and the only trannys they said could "possibly" be better is the Ferrari double clutch or gtr?
That's not particularly quick by modern standards. I have the same 7 speed S-Tronic transmission in my Q5 & that's quite sluggish although very smooth but no doubt the software in the R8 is improved. The E60 M5 was almost twice as quick at 65ms which is 0.065sec & the Fez 458 i believe is 0.040.

I've driven many cars with dual clutch boxes & the M-DCT in the M5 is the quickest I've experienced, however other cars are more aural on up/downshifts which gives the perception of quicker changes.

Can't find any data on the exact gear change time for the F10 M5 but I'd be surprised if the Audi 7sp S Tronic is quicker.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yah I am def wrong about that shift speed time than. I've driven a gtr, 458 and sls etc...you have to drive this r8 with the stronic to appreciate it. I'm telling yah there is zero delay on downshifts and virtually invisible on up shifts. No doubt I love our m5 and it shifts like butter but downshifts in manual mode you blip it a few times and there's still a little decel by the car. I felt nothing in this r8. Anyway, it was night and day to the old rtronic I have spent some good seat time in the cars above so that was my gauge. I tried to look online as well and couldn't find the shift times so my memory of where I read that was obviously not correct on the times. But there was a comparison done in one of the major mags that suggested this tranny was just below the 458 and gtr. Get behind the wheel of one and tell me what you think :).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh and I've driven my buddies q5 with stronic and yes it's not even close to the r8 lol. Like worlds apart. So if that's what you're thinking it's not all all in the same ball park

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Yah I am def wrong about that shift speed time than. I've driven a gtr, 458 and sls etc...you have to drive this r8 with the stronic to appreciate it. I'm telling yah there is zero delay on downshifts and virtually invisible on up shifts. No doubt I love our m5 and it shifts like butter but downshifts in manual mode you blip it a few times and there's still a little decel by the car. I felt nothing in this r8. Anyway, it was night and day to the old rtronic I have spent some good seat time in the cars above so that was my gauge. I tried to look online as well and couldn't find the shift times so my memory of where I read that was obviously not correct on the times. But there was a comparison done in one of the major mags that suggested this tranny was just below the 458 and gtr. Get behind the wheel of one and tell me what you think :).
As i said earlier in the thread i think, i had an R8 V10 Plus in Samoa Orange on extended test last year & is why I don't feel the S Tronic in that car is any quicker than the F10 M5. It is more dramatic in the R8 which gives the impression it's quicker but the actual gear change speed was if anything quicker in the M5. That said, I rarely drive my M5 in paddle shift & didn't really drive the R8 much in auto so not quite like for like but speed of changes in like for like settings the R8 certainly wasn't changing quicker.

Owned a 650bhp GT-R & that was a quick change but was far from smooth & wasn't particularly pleasant to drive anything other than hard which does get tiresome, however it was stupid quick. Defo prefer my M5 over the GT-R & having tracked them together, the M5 is quicker in places, although the GT-R could probably stay out on track for slightly longer:)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Oh and I've driven my buddies q5 with stronic and yes it's not even close to the r8 lol. Like worlds apart. So if that's what you're thinking it's not all all in the same ball park
It's the same basic box as Audi have only produced 2 S-Tronics, a 6spd & 7spd & the 7spd is used across the Audi range. Defo some subtle differences in the software etc. as the boxes are tuned for different applications in different cars across the range (economy, comfort, speed & performance) & some strengthening for the power cars RS's & R8's but mechanically the same in the R8 as my Q5:)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts