BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently number 1 on my dealers M6 list and number 2 for the M5.I currently lease a 2002 M5 which has about 15 months left on the lease.I have one 6 year old son and trying to decide on which vehicle to purchase.I would appreciate any advice regarding expected launch dates,MSRP in U.S. currency,anticipated ride of each.I love how my E39 handles as well as the looks.The 6 series is a new idea of mine in that I have been on the M5 waiting list for quite awhile,however the looks of the 6 are more attractive to me ,and last week I asked the dealer to place me on the list.I also own a 996 911 twin turbo (manual).A sedan is NOT an absolute necessity but would be more convenient.Any good advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would go for M5 and the new 997.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The 911 is not practical. As you know, the M5 is emminently practical as a family car and as a business car to take people to lunch, appointments, etc. I have a Jag XK8 as my second car. It, like an M6, is 2 door with small rear seat, and really only holds 2 people except in emergencies. If you get the M6, you will have 2 impractical cars.

I love the M6 -- it was my first choice -- and was interested in the Bentley GT, and DB9. It came down to having one car that is practical, and has 4 doors, and is screamingly fast and capable. Of the few cars that fit this requirement, the M5 won out for me. I am on the list for a new one to replace my 2002 M5. I like the quatroporte, but service, reliability, and resale I think are a problem with this car.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I also find the styling of the 6 more appealing than the 5 and a sedan is not absolutely necessary. So given that they are similar cars, and perhaps the M6 might handle better (which has yet to be "assessed"), I would go for the 6. Now this argument assumes I am buying a BMW now, which I am. I haven't commented about other makers as things then start to get ... complicated! So if you're not thinking about another maker, and given that BMW is it, why not try the M6? It's going to be my daily driver. Other car(s) can be used for other purpose.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I think both cars look great, but I think the 6-series looks better than it works, if you have to put anyone in the back seat. There's almost no leg room back there. Someone of adult size will struggle to get in and out. Your 6 year old will grow and sooner or later will have friends that you need to carry around as well. You're going to have to help everyone in and out of the car unless you want those long doors bouncing off adjacent cars.

I have one other reservation about the 6-series. The driver sits fairly low in the car. When I raise the seat to the point that I can sense the front of the car, my hair is brushing the roof liner (and I have short, thinning hair).

For any sort of "family" usage, my choice would be the M5.

Richard

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all of the above viewpoints.It really helps to hear each opinion which are arriving from all over the world. It appears that it will be awhile until the launch dates for either takes place in the U.S.What will the probable price differences be between the two vehicles(M5 and M6).Aside from the above discussions cost may also factor into my decision.Again thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was number 5 at my dealership for the new M5 and moved my deposit over to the M6. My lease on my 2002 M5 is over in July 2005. I would rather have all that performance in the 6 body style. Meanwhile while waiting, I ordered an 2005 M3 interlagos blue metalic / competition package / SMG with all the options until the M6 is launched.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts