BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2010 X5M, with the same power plant as the upcoming F10 M5, just spent 7 days in the shop. We had massive HP reduction and the vehicle was shaking wildly. The diagnosis was cracked hoses to the turbos and a technician note about a manufacturing defect issue with bad clamping. I think this is important since this is the same engine as the upcoming M5. A PUMA case was opened and I'm sure BMW will study our issue.

The X5M has 28,000 miles on it and is a very enjoyable vehicle, but we have had more trouble-free X5s in the past. The camera system failed and our power steering pump also had to be replaced on this unit.

MJ

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
MJ, nice to have you here again.

I also loved the X5M I had, it was incredible handling for that size of car, with, MDM, 4WD and torque everywhere it goes on rails.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I can see more issues with a twin turbo V8 than an NA... Been there done that, turbo cars always have issues...

·
Registered
652 Posts
I can see more issues with a twin turbo V8 than an NA... Been there done that, turbo cars always have issues...
I will be very surprised if this transpires in the new M5. Turbo engines are fine If not tuned to the Max.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Use(not thrashing it cold, switching off the engine when hot etc.) and maintenance have more to do with longevity than tuning..
It really comes down to the packaging for the ancillaries supporting the engine -- we all know BMW has no problems with NA engines but they are a relative newcomer to the 6 and 8 cylinder turbo field.

·
Registered
652 Posts
It really comes down to the packaging for the ancillaries supporting the engine -- we all know BMW has no problems with NA engines but they are a relative newcomer to the 6 and 8 cylinder turbo field.
:7: Are you kidding?, I have had 6 pot turbo BMW's for years, NO trouble ever. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sure...so why has my 08 gone through 2 turbos, a HPFP, and had all 6 injectors replaced in a car with 45k on the clock...

A stuck wastegate, improperly tested fuel pump (which they finally acknowledged and recalled), and HP injectors that were all new to the N54 when it was first released. Sure, no problems at all.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sure...so why has my 08 gone through 2 turbos, a HPFP, and had all 6 injectors replaced in a car with 45k on the clock...

A stuck wastegate, improperly tested fuel pump (which they finally acknowledged and recalled), and HP injectors that were all new to the N54 when it was first released. Sure, no problems at all.
I wonder just how many cars "Like yours" are about?. Answer Not many from the thousands sold.:dunno:
One will always show up from any brand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wonder just how many cars "Like yours" are about?. Answer Not many from the thousands sold.:dunno:
One will always show up from any brand.
For the wastegate issue, it's not a common occurrence but documented enough online. However, for the fuel pump, BMW NA estimated that 130,000 cars could be affected, 40,000 of those requiring replacement. The official recall was in October of 2010: BMW recalls 150,800 vehicles for fuel pump problems

I had the DME updated on my car last summer, but it only helped matters for about 4-5 months -- I was initially getting a long crank condition on startup and "safe mode" condition. The problem came back in the middle of winter (the cold weather definitely not helping). As indicated by the name, the high pressure fuel pump is designed to flow a minimum amount of fuel at a higher rated psi...running 12 pounds of boost will effectively add 12 psi to your base fuel pressure. If the FP doesn't flow at the rated psi, then it gets replaced. Same with the injectors.

But anyways back OT, my hope that these guys learn and get the turbo packaging down on the new F10 so this sh*t doesn't happen with what looks like a really awesome car.

·
Registered
652 Posts
For the wastegate issue, it's not a common occurrence but documented enough online. However, for the fuel pump, BMW NA estimated that 130,000 cars could be affected, 40,000 of those requiring replacement. The official recall was in October of 2010: BMW recalls 150,800 vehicles for fuel pump problems

I had the DME updated on my car last summer, but it only helped matters for about 4-5 months -- I was initially getting a long crank condition on startup and "safe mode" condition. The problem came back in the middle of winter (the cold weather definitely not helping). As indicated by the name, the high pressure fuel pump is designed to flow a minimum amount of fuel at a higher rated psi...running 12 pounds of boost will effectively add 12 psi to your base fuel pressure. If the FP doesn't flow at the rated psi, then it gets replaced. Same with the injectors.

But anyways back OT, my hope that these guys learn and get the turbo packaging down on the new F10 so this sh*t doesn't happen with what looks like a really awesome car.
Those statistics are awful, here in the UK (from what I have researched) the failures of the fuel pumps are seldom ,wastegate issues not found. Is there build issues of cars in the states?. I here so many problems with the f10 for example from guys across the pond, but few here in the UK!!!
Personally as I said NO problems ever with BMW cars, mine have been the following; 635DS,M6,x6 35D, M3 E90, and this 550i M Sport.:cool2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Those statistics are awful, here in the UK (from what I have researched) the failures of the fuel pumps are seldom ,wastegate issues not found. Is there build issues of cars in the states?. I here so many problems with the f10 for example from guys across the pond, but few here in the UK!!!
Personally as I said NO problems ever with BMW cars, mine have been the following; 635DS,M6,x6 35D, M3 E90, and this 550i M Sport.:cool2:
There's no rhyme or reason to it, BMW NA has gone through 3 or 4 different HPFP part #s, each with varying rates of success. Time will tell if the latest batch of pumps fixes the issue. Pretty much everything under the sun is produced in Germany except the X-series, so logically(!) there should be no difference between a US and an UK bound car. Unless we get stuck with all the re-man'ed pumps from the European market :rolleyes:

Glad somebody's enjoying their cars! :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
550 Posts

My 335i never had any of these issues, or any at all. Granted the HPFP is a POS.

Use(not thrashing it cold, switching off the engine when hot etc.) and maintenance have more to do with longevity than tuning..
Obviously you don't want to just shut the engine off right after the car was run hard, but our turbos are cooled by both oil and coolant. When you turn the car off, the electric water pump continues to circulate coolant through the turbos, helping to dissipate heat. Not like the older turbo cars where people were installing turbo timers to keep running oil through the turbos after shutoff to protect the turbos.

Our 2010 X5M, with the same power plant as the upcoming F10 M5, just spent 7 days in the shop. We had massive HP reduction and the vehicle was shaking wildly. The diagnosis was cracked hoses to the turbos and a technician note about a manufacturing defect issue with bad clamping. I think this is important since this is the same engine as the upcoming M5. A PUMA case was opened and I'm sure BMW will study our issue.

The X5M has 28,000 miles on it and is a very enjoyable vehicle, but we have had more trouble-free X5s in the past. The camera system failed and our power steering pump also had to be replaced on this unit.

MJ
I'm sure that won't be an issue by the time the new cars come out.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Not everyone has had issues in the US. I just had the HPFP replaced under recall last week on my 335Xi, but the only problem it had ever had was the DMTL pump, which really wasn't a big deal. My E60 535Xi also never had any issues at all. I always wonder what it is that makes them fail and keep having problems, or never have any problems at all. I almost didn't want them to replace the HPFP on the 335 since I had never had a problem, but they insisted the new one is better. Anyway, I've been very happy with the N54 motors. My new 535Xi has the N55 and while it too has not had any problems so far, I sure do miss the twin turbo's from the N54.

Also, I'm extremely jealous of you for having all of those diesels. Man what I wouldn't give to have a 535D. Drool............mmmmmm

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not everyone has had issues in the US. I just had the HPFP replaced under recall last week on my 335Xi, but the only problem it had ever had was the DMTL pump, which really wasn't a big deal. My E60 535Xi also never had any issues at all. I always wonder what it is that makes them fail and keep having problems, or never have any problems at all. I almost didn't want them to replace the HPFP on the 335 since I had never had a problem, but they insisted the new one is better. Anyway, I've been very happy with the N54 motors. My new 535Xi has the N55 and while it too has not had any problems so far, I sure do miss the twin turbo's from the N54.

Also, I'm extremely jealous of you for having all of those diesels. Man what I wouldn't give to have a 535D. Drool............mmmmmm
Diesels are coming Chris and you will love the performance :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts