BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 787 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Your right Dave about the roots of our ute and it's importance to the rual life.
The ute is our smaller version of the US pick up.
They have the Craftsman truck series in US the and in OZ our version is the Brutes.
Good name hey.
It's much more light hearted then here.

I'm seriously thinking of going to 22's in the rear and 20's up front..HRE's

I'm loosing my mind more by the day
:biggrinbounce:
APPLES

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Got some more pics of the M5, now looking a bit naked and further down the road to becoming a ute.
The first 34 pics in the M5 UTE album have just been taken, so look at a very "torn" M5.
The wheel well's are way too big as you'll see, so that helps us know that they can bring some custom ones down much lower for a better look in the tub.

Shane will be doing some tests on what springs/shocks we'll potentially be looking at from Koni.

The first few pics in the first album are of different HRE wheels I had the artist draw up
Not made my mind up 100%,yet but I'm getting closer.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115148213

The last 3 pics in the M5 album are of my Lambo HRE840r wheels being placed next to the M5 to see how they look.
I'm pretty happy with them actually.
They've got a very BMW look, and much more in the line of what BMW would potentially run with if they built the car/ute.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4291829125st

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
apples,

wow!! pic number 13 and 14 says it all for me. really sobering to see that chop! 17 is great too - almost gives a great glance in to the completed view from the rear.

and pic 81 in the 2nd album - nice job!

those artist sketches are very amazing.

:M5thumbs: :M5thumbs:

jack

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Apples.. what are you doing with the wheels that are on it at the moment? keeping them on her or changing them to something else that will fit its new and 'unique' look ? ;)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
More then likely I'll sell them once I don't need them or have the new wheels on the car.

APPLES

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
More pics

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
Apples - I hope you don't mind but I have imported all the imagestation images as attachments. That way there won't be anymore issues with imagestation not showing the images in-line.

The project is really starting to get under way now! No going back (unless you want to make a M5 limo instead). :1:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
kees said:
Apples - I hope you don't mind but I have imported all the imagestation images as attachments. That way there won't be anymore issues with imagestation not showing the images in-line.

The project is really starting to get under way now! No going back (unless you want to make a M5 limo instead). :1:
kees,

Thank you.

Bob

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Yep I thought you must have done that, as I didn't think I was that good.

No limo, just a beast without a baclk.
APPLES

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Apples, my hat's off to you! As an amateur designer I love the ute idea and I've got a lot of respect for your *cajones* to hack apart an M5 like this.

No going back now! :eek:

Can't wait to see the finished project. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Apples said:
You guys know who makes a 20mm wheel spacer for the M5?
I'm going to widen the rear about 25mm per side and if I get the Neez wheel in a 20 they only come only is certain off set sizes.
The best match would be the largest off set of 25mm, so the same as what I've got now.
It's a 20/10.5/25mm rim V's my BBS LM 19/10/25mm so getting a spacer of about 18 - 20mm will give me that 25mm wider stance then what I've got now.

APPLES
Hope I'm not arriving too late to add feedback here...

Anything over 10mm will change the scrub radius and effect the steering in a noticeable, negative way. I had 15mm spacers on mine until recently and the turn in and bump steer were both worse than OEM. I've heard that 10mm work really well. Now I have 3mm with 18x9.5 wheels on the front and the car handles so much better its almost unbelieveable! The gain in track with a wider spacer just isn't worth the tradeoff in steering feel/precision/agility, imo.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Milord, it's happening, you sir are a true car nutter in the best sence of the word!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Apples, have you considered video taping some of the key work being done, throughout the whole procedure? I know it's a tad late to start now but even so it would make for an extremeley interesting video after some editing. I would love to watch it!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Now it's starting to show some shape.
It's been extended 4inches and put back together.....(Wish that could be done for me!)
Shane has placed the rear wagon fenders and the rear gate on the ute to see how the wider shape will flow to the front of the car.
He's going to skin the front doors and add new sheet metal to them to get the growing width of the ute to flow from the front edge of the door all the way back to the rear wheel arch .

You can see that it's a bit wider then the nomal M5's stance.....looks pretty low and strong in it's stance.
Plenty of room for some nice rubber out back.

KEES you can add the little thumb nails if you wish to this.

Pics 63 to 85 are all new today.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115148213

APPLES

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It is taking shape nicely... very nice indeed. How do you go about insuring something like that.

you NEED to take the car to BMW HQ out here in Mulgrave... would be a hoot to see the looks on their faces ;)

Keep me in mind when you go to offload the wheels if possible...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Very nice, the mock ups are looking great and I like the idea of the extra width and the flow in width all the way from the front door edge, interesting point by palantirion. Southern Rod & Custom really seem to know their stuff, I love how in every photo, the workshop looks spotless, tidy and organised, that always says something to me about the people working in and running the shop.

I agree it looks low & strong like the renderings.

Is the project on schedule, will it make it before your trip back to Aus.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Apples,
Awesome job. Having only just stumbled across this thread, I will be keeping close tabs on it now.
A few questions: Will it be Bundy powered? What about 4WD or AWD? Have you sourced a bull bar and spotties for it? I am sure you have probably already thought of the "No fat chicks" sticker. What about the blue heeler?
Absolutely fascinating seeing the beast gutted.
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Call the medics !

MIB takes a few deep breaths, and summons up the courage to look at the pics.....

Bang.... Crash....THUD!!!!!!

Hey guys, its Konnor here... aka "The Boy" Dad's on the ground and his leg is twitching.......Should I call the Ambulance?

Oh its O.K......He's up and has gone Screaming out into the Garage. (I can't make out what he is saying, he's speaking in German!) The German lady accross the road has just turned bright Red and fainted.

Oh he's back. (Cool ute apples - The Boy!)

MIB : I keep expecting one of those guys from Candid camera to jump out and Say "Gotcha". J/K

The Ute is looking Great.:M5thumbs:

Can't wait to see Yoda with some New Clothes on.

Reminds me the Parrot in the cage that keeps shouting he can lick anyone, and so the owner puts a pole cat in with it, and 5 minutes latter there are feathers everywhere...and the bird says once again, I'm tough I am, I can lick anyman, but I had to take my coat off for that one.ouich

MIB and The Boy.

81 - 100 of 787 Posts
About this Discussion
786 Replies
179 Participants
mwmwmwm
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing