BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 787 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Well it's been in the works for 5 years an I've finally got around to taking on the concept of converting an M5 in to a ute...yep I said it a M5 Ute
The donor car is "Yoda" (MIB's pride and joy)
MIB was real happy that Yoda was going to be converted in to an famous mode of Australian transport, I was a bit shocked that he was that cool with it.
He told me that I must buy Yoda for the conversion.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2115148213&code=20897089&mode=invite&DCMP=isc-email-AlbumInvite
APPLES

·
Registered
448 Posts
Having seen this car, i cannot beleive its having its roof chopped off to make a ute out of it.

At least it will be good ute, unlike the rubbish available by GM and Ford.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Are you going to bring it to the summernats? Love to see it. Any engine mods like a s/charger, what about a slick paint job? It would be a great car for the burnout pad and go-to-whoa (even without a s/c). Be different to seeing just fords and holdens.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Apple,

That's an incredible transformation. Now I see what MIB meant by: addition by subtraction.

Burning question: WHY?:weird: :weird:

CP

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
chunpng said:
Apple,

That's an incredible transformation. Now I see what MIB meant by: addition by subtraction.

Burning question: WHY?:weird: :weird:

CP
Hey Chunpng,

The moment I heard apples say it, I knew it fit him like a glove.

A car is always an expression of the man behind it.

Apples is from Country Australia. That where his roots are. (Aussies will love that one)

But now he is mainly playing Golf in the states and doing very well.

Sought of Park Ave meets Cohuna, Australia.

What better way to describe apples than an ///M5 Ute.

Country hard, and World renouned refined.

If you had to describe yourself in a Customised Vehicle,
I wonder what that would be?

If apples had to describe himself, I think the ///M5 Ute encapsulates his life well.

Anyone who has left the country to make there way in the big smoke, will understand.

Its a way cool project.

When apples was looking for a donour vehicle, it was playing on my mind. If a job is worth doing, its worth doing right.

Its like floors, if you don't start with a Flat surface, you won't end with one.

I have heard countless times of a race car losing a race, Not because of the MODS, but because of a generic $2 worn part.

Also i thought it nice to immortalise Yoda. I asked the question if I traded it in, the stealer was going to strip yoda of the mods and sell him as a stock vehicle.

That would have been a worse fate for him.

Now he will rule the streets again. in a lighten, Aussie form, with a great new Jedi at the wheel.

MIB.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Sounds like a fun project - I look forward to seeing the results!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Apples ... your a madman !!! ;), you need a supercharger kit as well I think, it will go with the ute nicely.

Mark.. Yoda's clutch is a MONSTER!!!!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
aaronmiles said:
Apples ... your a madman !!! ;), you need a supercharger kit as well I think, it will go with the ute nicely.

Mark.. Yoda's clutch is a MONSTER!!!!
Have you driven it ?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
MIB said:
Have you driven it ?
Yes...

Wayne was nice enough to let me drive it around the block while my car was being finished. Feels very strong, but would take some getting used to ;)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
aaronmiles said:
Yes...

Wayne was nice enough to let me drive it around the block while my car was being finished. Feels very strong, but would take some getting used to ;)
What do you think of the sound of the TUBI ?

There would not be to many Tubi equipped Beasts in OZ.

The Raised idle isn't a problem is it.

Ten minutes with the clutch and it feels natural. Coming from a stock beast, That has NO CLUTCH. it can feel heavy for 5 to ten minutes.

What about the short shifter, Very direct.

Come on man, feedback. LOL

MJ

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The Tubi is a nice looking exhaust (we did look under the car :), but its not as loud as I thought it would have been, certainly not intrusive.

Did not even pickup on the raised idle so its not a problem at all, did not hear any rollover noise or such like. it sounded just like a stock car does, which is I guess the aim.

I can see how you would think a stock car had no clutch.. after driving yours and then getting back into mine, I nearly put my foot through the firewall. Im sure its something you would get used to.

Very direct short shift thats for sure, makes it feel like a real small box. Not too notchy given the reduced throw.

The interior colour combination goes well. I like the "Bmw Individual" kick panels, a nice touch.

I think I need to buy myself an update steering wheel also, the thicker 'M3 type' feels better in the hand, even though I think it obscures the outer edges of the cluster.

Did the radar detector save you many times? they are very nicely integrated.

Whats your next project car going to be?

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MIB was instru-mental in getting me to commit to Yoda as the donor car.

He's pretty much right on.
What sort of car would match your personality?
The Ute/M5 conversion is my youth and what my adult life has given me.

I'm not crazy just different.
I didn't go on a special bus to school, but could qualify now I think?

The car is going to be skinned from the rear door back and custom panels will be made...one long smooth mirror finish down the flanks.
The rear will be widened by about 25mm (1 inch) per side to give a stronger rear end.
It looks like I'll be trying get some custom Neez wheels for the application.
Probably have 19's on the front and 20's on the rear with 305/25 on the back.

As you might have seen in the captions with the pictures that the project MUST have a very BMW build quality to it and be a concept creation that has a very Aussie flavor to it, but a bit more extreme.

Shane is trying to see if PPG paints want to get involved in the project.
I'm not sure what makes them so good, but I'm not really going to do a trick paint job on the ute, just a very good quality one...I owe that to MIB.

Many Australians know of the Deni ute muster in Deniliquin (same place the utes being created)
www.deniutemuster.com.au
It's out red neck version of a ute get together from all around the country and show off your feral girl friends.
Drinking piles of rum and coke is standard.
You should have a look at the short clip they've got of the DVD....Red necks gone wild!

I think the M5 ute would be out of it's element there.
It certainly would win some categories in the judging though?

I hope the Tubi is the right sound I'm looking for, but I'll have to wait.
It will also get headers so that will help, as headers are the 1st thing the M5 needs to make good gains.
I'm looking at putting a VF supercharger on the car when it's closer to the time it needs it.
So around 600hp will be nice
The kit should be out by summer I think?

MIB what diff does Yoda have?

The car probably won't be ready till late next year, hopefully when I get back there in Nov/Dec 07

APPLES

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kees.. That pressed fold line from the front to the rear light will stay as it's a very important feature in the M5's side styling.
APPLES

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'm country myself. The backwoods Canadian version. As for the rum, you have to try 'Ron Mathuslem'. It' an amazing rum. One drink, and it's the only rum you'll ever use.

We call a good 'meet', one that nobody died at. Success is a simple measurement: everyone goes home alive. :)

I've even had people I know..all hung over... still..36 hours later..go back to the car wreck..and use a pocket knife..and pop their upper front teeth out of the dash of the car on the passenger side, and take them home as a souvenir. A real crazy bunch.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Well, at least this is one UTE that does not have SUV ride heights.

Bravo for the originality/creativity. Please post car weight afterwards. :)

CP

1 - 20 of 787 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.