BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Conti Sports 2 the only ones presently available for the E60 M5 ? Will Michelins PS2's be available in that size ?

Nice to have a choice.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Haven't there been some test cars with the Michelins? I imagine the cars will come on both, however, I seriously doubt we will get a choice in which one our particular car will come on (I know, we should considering the type of car). From what I heard, BMW, like most manufacturers, tends to build in batches.. meaning they have a batch of the Conti tires.. so a batch of cars with Conti's are built.. then they have a batch of Michelins.... a batch of cars with Michelin's mounted.

·
Registered
540 Posts
All the test cars had Michelin

Apparently this is because Continental were reformulating the Sport Contat 2 compound in the M5 size to BMW's standardsfor the M5

All showcars and customers cars sofar have had Continentals

·
Registered
943 Posts
e46m3 said:
The PS2 is much better than the CS2 in all areas.
This statement doesn´t correspond to the latest tyre tests!

Conti was much better in the wet.

·
Registered
265 Posts
cidair said:
This statement doesn´t correspond to the latest tyre tests!

Conti was much better in the wet.
I can only speak from personal experience having just replaced the OEM CS2 with PS2 on my 2004 E55. The CS2 was very loud, lumpy and did not do as well in the rain here in the Pacific NW for me.

I'm much happier with the PS2 than the factory CS2. Curious which test ranked the CS2 over the PS2?! The general consent on the AMG E55 board is that to improve the handling, the first step is to swap the CS2 with the PS2.

·
Registered
540 Posts
e46m3 said:
I can only speak from personal experience having just replaced the OEM CS2 with PS2 on my 2004 E55. The CS2 was very loud, lumpy and did not do as well in the rain here in the Pacific NW for me.

I'm much happier with the PS2 than the factory CS2. Curious which test ranked the CS2 over the PS2?! The general consent on the AMG E55 board is that to improve the handling, the first step is to swap the CS2 with the PS2.
Yes, continental changed the formulation of all the sport contact2 tires a couple months ago, and now the tests are puting them right up there with the PS2

The formulation was again changed in the M5 size for BMW

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an E60 and run Michelins and have also tried the Pirelli Rossos which both work well. Overall the Michelins if you can afford to pay that little bit extra are the best in all condiitons.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
3 year old thread:eek7:
Damn! You're right, it never crossed my mind that this was a 3 yr old thread. Still no harm done, some newbies could benefit from it!:blink:

Reactions: Barry Lausch

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
What! A 3 year old thread surfaces.
A current thread touches upon the issue of the thread quality, well this would appear to be a representative example of what is happenning.

Ranger

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes the Michilliens will fit, as a matter of fact they are a better tire then the contis in my opinion. and the Pirelli sottozero are great for the winter i currently use both, pilot for witer and pirelli for winter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts