BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did a couple of track days with the old girl past weekend. I must say it was a LOT more fun that I was expecting, moves and corners like a much lighter car. The stock rubber which were new for this track day did an awesome job, the brakes are amazing, smoking and all. Threshold breaking from 150MPH to 30 never felt so good, trail breaking was confidence inspiring. Used MDM mode with Sport Plus everything to great effect, I have new love for this car, and will definitely be doing more track days.

And now a video, sorry for the poor iPhone quality, but my Gopro refused to cooperate.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Did a couple of track days with the old girl past weekend. I must say it was a LOT more fun that I was expecting, moves and corners like a much lighter car. The stock rubber which were new for this track day did an awesome job, the brakes are amazing, smoking and all. Threshold breaking from 150MPH to 30 never felt so good, trail breaking was confidence inspiring. Used MDM mode with Sport Plus everything to great effect, I have new love for this car, and will definitely be doing more track days.

And now a video, sorry for the poor iPhone quality, but my Gopro refused to cooperate.

Nice which track did you go to?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Looks good.

I did Anglesey last week in my F10 & am doing a 2 day track day at Spa in Sept with a few laps of the Nordschleife en route. The MPSS tyres on the M5 are so up for the job & my M5 was quicker in places than my old 650bhp R35 GT-R.

What software did you use to capture data? Also & you may already know this, but the GoPro can be controlled through Connected Drive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks good.

I did Anglesey last week in my F10 & am doing a 2 day track day at Spa in Sept with a few laps of the Nordschleife en route. The MPSS tyres on the M5 are so up for the job & my M5 was quicker in places than my old 650bhp R35 GT-R.

What software did you use to capture data? Also & you may already know this, but the GoPro can be controlled through Connected Drive.
Hello Paul,
Sounds like you are now enjoying M5 ownership, after your first car troubles, im really pleased. Interesting to note, that the M5 is quicker here and there on the track, than he 650R ?. Have you had a drive of the new M3/4 yet ?, i managed to borrow one for the day, and im really impressed with it. All the best, SIMON.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looks good.

Its interesting that you make that comparison with the R35 GTR, as I too owned one and have driven it on the same track as last weekend, I honestly have to say the M5 seemed just as capable and fun around this track as my GTR ever was, this realization I was truly surprised by, I also seem to have surprised quite a few 911 owners, but thats another story :) The MPSS are possibility the best tires I have had the fortune of driving, I beat the hell out of them for five day, and I mean seriously pushed them, they never complained loudly, only let grip go in very predictable and non-threathing fashion.

I used Harry's Laptimer on iOS hooked up to ODB2 Wifi and 10Hhz GPS receiver, works great. Did know about the GoPro controlled through Connected Drive, but have never tried it out, good tip for next time.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Hello Paul,
Sounds like you are now enjoying M5 ownership, after your first car troubles, im really pleased. Interesting to note, that the M5 is quicker here and there on the track, than he 650R ?. Have you had a drive of the new M3/4 yet ?, i managed to borrow one for the day, and im really impressed with it. All the best, SIMON.
Hi Simon. Yep, i'm totally loved up with this replacement M5 in every way & i know it's probably in my head, but it seams considerably quicker than the rejected one. Only issue on track will be how much life the MPSS would offer with the M5 being so heavy & the tyres being soooo grippy & soft when warm. I reckon Spa may kill the fronts which would mean a life of less than 4k miles;(

Not tried the M3/4 but have seen them & they both look good although i ever so slightly prefer the M3 as have always preferred Saloons.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Its interesting that you make that comparison with the R35 GTR, as I too owned one and have driven it on the same track as last weekend, I honestly have to say the M5 seemed just as capable and fun around this track as my GTR ever was, this realization I was truly surprised by, I also seem to have surprised quite a few 911 owners, but thats another story :) The MPSS are possibility the best tires I have had the fortune of driving, I beat the hell out of them for five day, and I mean seriously pushed them, they never complained loudly, only let grip go in very predictable and non-threathing fashion.

I used Harry's Laptimer on iOS hooked up to ODB2 Wifi and 10Hhz GPS receiver, works great. Did know about the GoPro controlled through Connected Drive, but have never tried it out, good tip for next time.
I was quicker than all the Porsches on track last week & that included a 997 Turbo, 997 GT3 & Cayman R on Ceramics. Always a bone of contention regarding other cars as it's impossible to know how hard the other drivers are pushing or how confident they are, so not really a true measure of which cars are quicker. I've done many many track days in the UK & Europe & acquired my European B License at the Nurburgring in 2007 whilst attending Scuderia Hanseat, so although not an accomplished track veteran or racer, i am confident on track & will push my car to probably about 90% (went a tad too far last week & spun off) but was a tactical spin as decided if i let the car spin i'd do a bit of lawn mowing but if i fought the rear breakaway the car 'could' have bitten back & sent me into the armco so i took the sensible option.

Was totally blown away by how good the tyres are & how well the car performed. Anglesey is not a power circuit as very few straights & only one section where you can exceed 120mph so i'm expecting even greater things for Spa:)

Have been considering a setup that i can link to my GoPro footage as per your video, but am struggling to find one that links seamlessly & provides the right outputs. Got the M Lap Timer App but that's very basic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts