BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From auto motor und sport (German magazine):

M5 Touring & M6 Cabrio: BMW's expansion of the M-Program:

- The M6-Cabrio shall first be shown at the North American Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit beginning 2006. Delivery shall be in the same year.

- Launch of the M5 Touring probably not before 2007

(read the original writing) Mit einem M5 Touring und einem M6 Cabrio soll die 5er- und 6er-Reihe von BMW gekrönt werden. Frühester Einsatztermin der beiden Top-Modelle mit dem 507 PS starken Zehnzylinder: 2006.​

Auf der North American Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit soll Anfang 2006 die M-Version des 6er-Cabrios debütieren. Die Serieneinführung des 507 PS starkenoffenen Zehnzylinder-Sportwagens ist noch im selben Jahr geplant.​

Weniger Eile hat BMW mit dem gleich motorisierten M5 Touring. Da die M5 Limousine derzeit auf zwei Jahre ausverkauft ist, dürfte die Markteinführung wahrscheinlich erst 2007 erfolgen. Einen M5 Kombi gab es bereits einmal in den 90er-Jahren auf Basis des damaligen E 34. Nur 900 Exemplare wurden gebaut, sie sind heute begehrte Sammlerstücke. Mit einem neuen M5 Touring hatte BMW bislang gezögert, weil auf dem wichtigen US-Markt Kombis bislang keine Rolle spielten. Das scheint sich nun langsam zu ändern, wie der Erfolg der Dodge Magnum mit 5,7-Liter-Hemi-V8 beweist.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Asserti said:
that pic of the touring version is an old one. Photoshopped I believe
In deed, they are. That is even written in the magazine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
both of them so ugly...maybe not as much as the m6 cabrio but the touring is stupid. The only people that by those station wagon looking touring models would be soccer moms or some old lady in which case dont need a 500hp car to get little jimmy to practice, any dude that like the touring model should get thee balls chopped cause its deffentaly faggish, who ever came up with this idea at bmw wheater it be bangle or not should also get chopped. also i dont see how you could appritate a m5 in that shell... other car enthusist wouldn't think its a joke...serouisly if you want a m5 buy the real **** thing...the touring model brings shame to the m5, already trying to deal with the regular e60 m5 looks touring moldel is jsut sooooooo friggen ugly 10x that witht the m5 badge.
Gustav destroy this thread before i loose all respect for bmw and my eye sightgrrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
RymanM5 said:
The only people that by those station wagon looking touring models would be soccer moms or some old lady in which case dont need a 500hp car to get little jimmy to practice, any dude that like the touring model should get thee balls chopped cause its deffentaly faggish, who ever came up with this idea at bmw wheater it be bangle or not should also get chopped. also i dont see how you could appritate a m5 in that shell... other car enthusist wouldn't think its a joke...serouisly if you want a m5 buy the real **** thing...the touring model brings shame to the m5, already trying to deal with the regular e60 m5 looks touring moldel is jsut sooooooo friggen ugly 10x that witht the m5 badge.
Gustav destroy this thread before i loose all respect for bmw and my eye sightr
Someone forgot to take their medication today?

Actually, a lot of enthusiasts had been asking for a touring model for a while. There was a one-off made for the E39 version, and I think the offered an M5 Touring for the E34. You think they would build it just for the heck of it? There would have to be some desire from the public for them to want to build it...

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is some so dumb though. why would some one waste such good money buying a touring model of a super car. come on it even has a ski rack up top. You cant honstly tell me you wouldn't feel kinda out of place showing up to a track with a station wagon, or racing someone. the shell just destroys the name and takes away from the true meaning of what the M's are about. It just doesn't look bad *** or scream power, to me it screams chris bangle. I dont know this m5 touring model has got me :mad: I cant even put my anger into words with this. It so frggin uglygrrrrrrr

·
Registered
127 Posts
Anzir said:
Someone forgot to take their medication today?

Right on target about that!

Personally I would trade my M5 for a touring if available
and buy the new M3 or the Porsche 997 as a secondary car.

cherrsagai :hihi:

·
Registered
68 Posts
RymanM5 said:
both of them so ugly...maybe not as much as the m6 cabrio but the touring is stupid. The only people that by those station wagon looking touring models would be soccer moms or some old lady in which case dont need a 500hp car to get little jimmy to practice, any dude that like the touring model should get thee balls chopped cause its deffentaly faggish, who ever came up with this idea at bmw wheater it be bangle or not should also get chopped. also i dont see how you could appritate a m5 in that shell... other car enthusist wouldn't think its a joke...serouisly if you want a m5 buy the real **** thing...the touring model brings shame to the m5, already trying to deal with the regular e60 m5 looks touring moldel is jsut sooooooo friggen ugly 10x that witht the m5 badge.
Gustav destroy this thread before i loose all respect for bmw and my eye sightgrrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

The Touring will complement my 996 Turbo when I need to get to Home Depot as fast as possible down my mountainous road to pick up some "plywood" before they close . Different tools for differerent jobs ! ;)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I do wonder if the touring will dilute the brand image of the M line. At least in the US. Realize that here, it is a station wagon, that leaves images of Nation Lampoon's Vacation and cheap stuck on fake wood panels along the side.

I'll say it is an interesting concept, and it would be very funny to see a hot sports car get left behind by a M5 Touring with a family in it. Reminds me of an earlier post about being passed at a high rate of speed, only to look over and see a dog wagging its tail at you (or something to that effect).

The shift key is your friend......

·
Registered
955 Posts
vndkshn said:
I do wonder if the touring will dilute the brand image of the M line. At least in the US. Realize that here, it is a station wagon, that leaves images of Nation Lampoon's Vacation and cheap stuck on fake wood panels along the side.

I'll say it is an interesting concept, and it would be very funny to see a hot sports car get left behind by a M5 Touring with a family in it. Reminds me of an earlier post about being passed at a high rate of speed, only to look over and see a dog wagging its tail at you (or something to that effect).

The shift key is your friend......
the only reason a M wagon might dilute the brand image of the M is that general public in North America think wagon as a practical boring car. but realistically, i don't think we'll ever be seeing M5 touring in North America anyway.

European love their wagons, Audi actually sell more S4 and RS6 in avant form than sedan form. and for that very reason, i think it is very nice to know M5 will come in touring form.

·
Registered
455 Posts
RymanM5 said:
This is some so dumb though. why would some one waste such good money buying a touring model of a super car. come on it even has a ski rack up top. You cant honstly tell me you wouldn't feel kinda out of place showing up to a track with a station wagon, or racing someone. the shell just destroys the name and takes away from the true meaning of what the M's are about. It just doesn't look bad *** or scream power, to me it screams chris bangle. I dont know this m5 touring model has got me :mad: I cant even put my anger into words with this. It so frggin uglygrrrrrrr

calm down. Have you ever tried to fit 2 marshall cabs and a drum kit into a saloon car before? Go back to your neon pink civic that 'screams performance'. Ill take an understated m5 touring thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There will be an M5 sedan and wagon for the US. There will be an M3 sedan , coupe , cab and wagon for the US.
The last thing BMW wants to do is give the image that the M5 is a one-trick-pony " tuner " -mobile like used Supras and / or Skyline GTR - that will hurt them $$$- wise in this era of proliferating " routine " high HP family cars . they want a piece of that growing pie with their M3/M5/Z4M in the US. What they won't do is put the M badge on everything they sell like AMG- it still has to be based on a sporty platform.

·
Registered
27 Posts
oh i forgot you need 500bhp to get to band practice on time right...My theory on the whole extra space with the station wagon M is buy a second car or have a single suv...one or the other space or speed, your pick or just have both or even better Porsche gembella cayenne turbo can do under 5 sec and reach somewhere up in the 170. Always been a problem with room and speed,one compromises the other. plus the touring dosn't look to aerodynamic the huge and long top gotta provide some resistance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
RymanM5 said:
oh i forgot you need 500bhp to get to band practice on time right...My theory on the whole extra space with the station wagon M is buy a second car or have a single suv...one or the other space or speed, your pick or just have both or even better Porsche gembella cayenne turbo can do under 5 sec and reach somewhere up in the 170. Always been a problem with room and speed,one compromises the other. plus the touring dosn't look to aerodynamic the huge and long top gotta provide some resistance.
Like you need 500 hp for ANY 4door SEDAN, never mind wagon. That's my take , but hey, I can afford them , so what the hell !
You would argue than that my 500 + hp 996 Turbo is wasteful for having two back seats which are only used by my kids on weekends !
:3:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
RymanM5 said:
Well, the problem with your first sentence... does anyone "need" a 507bhp sedan either? Do you even "need" 507bhp on the public roads?

As for your theory.... One $80k+ M5 plus one $XXk SUV equals... a whole lot more money. And how much is the tuner Cayenne? In any case, either of your theories are likely to be much more expensive than a M5 touring.

And don't automatically assume that the long top equals air resistance. You might be surprised.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts