Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
M5e3438 said:
-
Hi [email protected] one thing I do know, IF the car -said to be no 808- indeed is the
-BL01808-M5touring THEN it is NOT 'sterling-silver-met.' to start with -
a short look under the bonnet will reveal the truth.........??? :byebye:
brgds
Karl

·
10,455 Posts
although i didn't see much detail in the ad, like milage, i'm amazed at the price. Is that the going rate for an e34 in the UK? THey're still in the $20-25kUS here...(and that's a 3.6 sedan, US spec) I can see why someone could justify the costs involved in personally importing one.
Mike

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
how come you US-guys are so surprised about the UK-price-level for a
E34 M5touring 95-modell-year (6-speed), I am aware of the price-level
in the US where the car is a real 'rarity' (only abt 20+ cars in the country),
the UK-price-level is at a fair level and where it shud be for these cars
(a bit surprising though the price being more 'fair' in the UK then in the
rest of Europe with the driving wheel being 'on the wrong side' in the UK) -
-
if you US-guys find the price-level in the UK to be low = it is even (much)
lower in continental Europe and Scandinavia (of course each car much be judged on it's on merits and often you get what you pay for :sad2: watch out ouich
-
I believe (hv not checked yet with the records) the BL01808 M5touring exterior-colour is (309 M)-arktissilber-met. which wud make it one of only
10 built with that colour, it wud also indicate that the 'seller' to some extend
does not know what he is talking about - :nono:

·
10,455 Posts
In general, the e34's seem to be quite a bit more expensive here in the US. I was basing my comment on the fact that I routinely see a decent 91-93 US spec 3.6 (sedan) sell for $US20-25k, when the tourings do come up for sale, they're in the mid 30's. I've heard it would cost around $10k US to personally import and certify a eurospec M5, which would still make it potentially a better buy. I've yet to see one sucessfully get thru california emmisions though...
Mike

M5touring reg said:
how come you US-guys are so surprised about the UK-price-level for a
E34 M5touring 95-modell-year (6-speed), I am aware of the price-level
in the US where the car is a real 'rarity' (only abt 20+ cars in the country),
the UK-price-level is at a fair level and where it shud be for these cars
(a bit surprising though the price being more 'fair' in the UK then in the
rest of Europe with the driving wheel being 'on the wrong side' in the UK) -
-
:
:sad3: :sad3:

·
Registered
75 Posts
The prices in Germany (mobile.de) are much lower.
In Italy as well they're around 10/12000 Euros, provided you can find one that is.
Cost of bringing it to the US is shipping $2/3000.
Federalizing $12.000.
I've just done it and I'm waiting for the LAB (G&K in Santa Ana) to get EPA Certification as they relocated and refurbished it.
The three initial tests however were successfully passed and, of course, I had to change the Euro Cat to the US 3.6 one.
I have a temporary Reg and will get the definive one as soon as test is carried out sometime in February.
I'm in Orange County California.
Jaime

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hi Jaime, soon waiting time is over ?? that is another aspect, you MUST have
patience as the federalization-process takes -months-, ask Jaime.
-
There is t least one other M5touring running in CA, whether it is registered in the correct -state- I do not know.
I guess Jaime knows the car, I think it is 'avus-blue' - :typing: :wroom:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still on the subject of tourings I see that this months BMW car magazine has a feature on the `legendary` Elekta M5 Touring - a tidy looking Orinoco green version. See your mentioned in it Karl.

Frank

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
M5e3438 said:
Still on the subject of tourings I see that this months BMW car magazine has a feature on the `legendary` Elekta M5 Touring - a tidy looking Orinoco green version. See your mentioned in it Karl.

Frank
Sorry Frank I think it is British Racing Green but very nice all the same. Exactly like to model I viewed at Munich Legends a while back. Not a bad combination of colours but I think I prefer my Avus Blue/ Black leather version.

Simon

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Simonal said:
Sorry Frank I think it is British Racing Green but very nice all the same. Exactly like to model I viewed at Munich Legends a while back. Not a bad combination of colours but I think I prefer my Avus Blue/ Black leather version.

Simon
Whoops - easy to get the greens mixed up..
Yeah I'm not sold on the Green / Brown leather combo etither,

Frank

·
Registered
75 Posts
Carissimo Carlo,
How are you? No I do not know that Avus blue, but I know of a Laguna Green
95 which was sold a few months ago. The guy who owned it sold me a barely used Cat which is on my car, for less than half of the new price.
I got caught up in my importer's problems of relocation; he was quite honest from the beginning as he told me that it would take longer. I am waiting for him to get the California EPA to certitify his lab and then he'll have me in, do the test and there' is a waiting period of 15 days, then I'm finally done.
They already did all three tests and passed: cleverly I had my mechanic in Rome do all valve clearances, new plugs and injectors before the car left so the engine is in really good shape, he also changed all brake lines and the clutch I'd had done previously.
In the meantime I got a little impatient so in December he released the car temporarily to me I got it registered, temporarily, and I've been driving it and doing a lot of work on it.
All cosmetics, bodywork, wheels etc. I'll wait until he's finished; lots of dings scratches and bumper damage: Rome traffic battle scars!
The first thing I did was a full detail, inside outside and had the engine bay thouroughly cleaned: It was a mess.
I'm going through the rest with a fine tooth comb and you have no idea how many pieces were either missing or broken.
I've spent more than $ 1000 on parts: I changed all the vacuum hoses and flap actuator and I found that someone had already done work and instead of putting new o-rings on the flanges that attach to the throttle body ,they had put silicone! Bastards!
I pulled all door panels off and found bits of glass and other parts loose, one actuator was dead, the rear window motor was dead, bits and pieces were broken: what a mess!
I reupholstered the rear door cover with cloth and there too a microswitch was dead, plus wires were loose and both looms going in from the rear hatch were cut.
I've eliminated almost all noises and rattles. There's one on the roof panels that still needs attending to.
I had to change the rear glass as there was no third brake light.
I've changed the trans mounts, trailing arms bushings, diff mount,pitman arms,accumulators and the hoses, sway bar links.
The rear is all new now.
By my calculations I've put in myself more than 40 hours of work!
Transmission shaft, bearings, and all front paraphernalia are next.
Eventually, when Garcia is ready, the shocks will be done as well.
A word of advice to all, but I guess most know already: to have one of theese cars a lot of love is needed and also a very fat wallet!!! and a nice garage with all necessary tools.
My best to you.
Jaime

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Greg,
nice to talk to you and honoured: Orinoco is my favourite colour, your car is really something!
How is it in Albuquerque??
Mine has the Champagne leather, and in need of a serious retinting too.
Today I solved two "boings" one for the coolant level and the other for the washer fluid level: the wires were broken off at the connector and I had to carefully solder them together again; what a pain!!!!! Another three hours.
I really wish I could speak to the BMW buyer who commissioned the looms to whoever it may be; they are so badly built and badly protected.
I'm afraid Mercedes does a much better job at this: I've gone through my 560 SEC from top to bottom and never once did I find anything amiss.
And I haven't listed all the work I've done: the radio (wires were loose)
the air conditioning unit (one of the round temperature controls was not working), wires were loose under the dashboard, the whole document shelf was coming apart, passenger seat was rattling inside (loose wires and other stuff) the whole rear headliner was loose, CD changer was not mounted correctly, plus nuts, bolts and screws everywhere were either loose or missing, the front fenders were misaligned to the doors, the passenger windshield wiper was touching the hood (another tipycal glitch) so I got it off and skimmed it 1/4 of and inch with a dremel and then repainted it matt black,
I got the pressure regulator off the drivers wiper and I'm shopping around for one; the rear bumper was missing the side hanger on one side (someone had just put a screw to hold it to the body) so I bought a new one and fitted it ($ 12.65), pulled off the passenger side lower moulding (the one painted gray)
which was never fitted properly and replaced the clips and the clamps underneath................
The actuator for the central locking in the front passenger door was a real
pain: do you know that to change it you HAVE to take down the complete
door lock and the door handle as well? (I've never had a good relation with engineers, sometime they're so complicated and disorganized: in all my years in motor racing I was always at odds with them).
I could go on and on.
Perhaps I should open shop for you all, and make some money!!!!
Enough complaining for now, plus I confess I enjoy doing all this, though engineers ought to be shot, sometimes, together with racing drivers too.
(I'm joking of course, though.....)
Should you ever drive over to Orange County don't forget to drop in: espresso and pasta and barbecue are always ready.
Regards to all
Jaime

·
Registered
75 Posts
Greg,
I was rereading your message and I believe I gave you the wrong imprression: all the work on accumulators,mounts etc I did not do myself: I have no lift and no special tools.
By the way if anyone is a victim of rattles and creaks there's a great product:
it is very thin self adhesive felt sold in rolls or flat pieces:
www.durofelt.com sells it and the cost is risible.
I've used it extensively on my 560 SEC and M5 (which probalbly weigh at least 10 more kilos each as a result)
Also I recently bought two almost new rear Michelin Sport tires 255/40/17
at $ 50 each the guy is on e-bay and his name is Drtires. Quite incredible they are new! I got them the next day for a total of $ 135, he's in San Diego.
All these people who take them off new cars to upgrade I suppose.
Jaime

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Ciao Jaime,
thks I am fine and apparantly so are you, fixing with your 2nd 'toy' :byebye:
I've been reading your inputs with a :) -
-
I will revert to you later, meanwhile the M5touring-chase continues :wroom:
a -lagunagreen- M5touring in California ?? which one is that, can you sent
me a P/M with the VIN ???
-
are you NOT aware of the -avus-blue- M5touring in CA ?? wud you be
interested to make contact with the owner ?? (I will ask him first if that is 'ok')-
-
any other -M5touring- in CA you know of ??
-
one day, when your M5T-project is -almost- concluded we will come for an 'espresso' and make an -inspection- :viking:
-
brgds
Karl

·
Registered
75 Posts
Karl,
I'm trying to trace the owner of that M5 Touring. I'll let you know, I remember vaguely, it could have been BL01788 or something like that.
Yes I would like to get together with Avus Blau provided he's not too far
from Orange County where I live.
Please ask him to contact me if he so wishes at [email protected]
Ciao!
Jaime

1 - 17 of 17 Posts