BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been working on an M5 touring article for Roundel (the bmw cca's magazine), that is now coming out in the June issue. I've posted a digital link below. I'm excited to see it in print, but disappointed with a couple of errors.

First, they did not credit the photographer, Courtney Cutchen, who did a lot of work on the photos.

Second, as you'll see on the second page, they used a picture of an M20, calling it an S38 (i didn't write the captions!).

Considering it was an M5 Touring article, i wish they would have used more of the touring specific photos i had sent in, but at any rate, here's a preview!

https://view.imirus.com/290/document/12912/page/77

·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Am I following you on the IG or the car's owner (or is that you?)?

In any case, great work!
yes the touring is mine, my IG is mikeot, but my son also posts some pics of it occasionally under a couple of his accounts.

And Thanks!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Very cool!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hey! I just read it, great job, cool cars. I know you were peeved about the engine pic, I wonder how they made that mistake? It's a nice, clean engine bay, just not the right one. I think anybody who read the article would know better, though, no harm done, but would have like to see the real one. And yeah, the standard rear view with the hatch open would have been good to see, I am sure you sent one of those. There are a lot of articles, not just Roundel that talk about something specific that is unique to a car, but don't bother including a photo of that thing....

·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey! I just read it, great job, cool cars. I know you were peeved about the engine pic, I wonder how they made that mistake? It's a nice, clean engine bay, just not the right one. I think anybody who read the article would know better, though, no harm done, but would have like to see the real one. And yeah, the standard rear view with the hatch open would have been good to see, I am sure you sent one of those. There are a lot of articles, not just Roundel that talk about something specific that is unique to a car, but don't bother including a photo of that thing....
Thanks, yeah, there were several pics that were touring specific that i sent in with the article. I wrote this back in january and then of course in the 11th hour in may i get an email saying 'layout says pics aren't big enough, need higher res asap of it wont get in the june edition.' I'm at work, so i send the link to the dropbox that has a bunch of pics. Thinking the layout person would see jpg5697 and just grab the same pic, but they instead selected pics they liked better. I didn't include any pics of the sedan, because i figured it wasnt relevant to the article..

At any rate, correct pic will be posted i think in august, and credit to the photographer will be given. The m20 was from my son's e30 325is btw.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mike:

Finally got around to reading my Roundel last night and enjoyed your article very much. Nice to see our old cars get some play in the Club magazine! I've always thought that there was too much emphasis on the new stuff (and I'm sure they want to sell ad space to BMW), so it was good to see the oldtimers get some coverage for a change.

·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike:

Finally got around to reading my Roundel last night and enjoyed your article very much. Nice to see our old cars get some play in the Club magazine! I've always thought that there was too much emphasis on the new stuff (and I'm sure they want to sell ad space to BMW), so it was good to see the oldtimers get some coverage for a change.

that is really what prompted me to write. I used to keep my roundels, but now, i read 50% of them and toss them into the recycle bin. I emailed Satch, the editor with something like "hi satch, roundel needs more stuff on older cars, how about if i write an article on the e34 m5 touring. I can get some professional quality pics too" He replied "go for it"
And that was that. It is a club magazine, so they take what they can get, if it's reasonable.

·
2,484 Posts
Fascinating the lack of integrity on the Roundel's side given you generated content for them. Gave up on BMWCCA long ago, far too much bullshit for a club meant for recreation.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hey Mike, where do I find Satch’s email or how would I go about submitting a photo to the for the letters section in Roundel? I have a pretty cool one I took today with 10 blue G20 330i’s in a row, I believe which were brought up from Jersey for the Driving event nearby this weekend... check it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
10,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think it's listed in the front of the magazine somewhere. (oddly i don't have it saved in my contacts!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts