BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stripped the M5 before sending it to paintshop.

What do I see? Bad news. In fact very bad news.

My M5 has been in a serious accident, before I purchased.

Found out the following damages:

1- "B" pillar has been pushed inwards. Towards the transmission tunnel. So they did pull the B pillar back to its place.

2- Driver's floor, floor right under the pedals, front left chasis arm and left A pillar have been altogether cut. They have welded 520 i front left chasis arm, front left floor and the A pillar and also the driver's floor.

3- Transmission tunnel is not smooth, it is wrinkled.

All of these welds have rust.

Gentlemen, my M5 was totalled and repaired before I bought it. I did not know this fact. A friend of mine sold this M5.

Now my solutions are as follows:

1- As there is no other M5 E34 for sale here in Turkey, I may buy a E34 520 in good condition and swap M5 into the 520 chasis. Everything
will be M5, just the chasis / body will be 520i.

2- Get a new chasis arm, a new A pillar and new floor and weld properly.

3- Prepare the funeral of E34 M5 and send to graveyard.

The day I saw these damages, I felt very bad. All my dreams about E34 M5 are almost gone. Before sending to paintwork, I ve built a custom turbo kit for this car, I wanted to drive it turbo weekends. Now all the dreams are almost gone.

What would you do (Note there is no other E34 M5 for sale here)

It was a pleasure to surf on this forum, everytime I turned on this forum was exciting.

Looking at E34 photos on bimmermagazines was fun.

Now I wont be able to feel these.

·
10,458 Posts
if you've lived with the car up to now with no awareness of any structural issues, i'd say fix it as good as it can be fixed and continue with your project.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sorry to hear this, I feel bad for you. I too have been burned a few times before. From my personal experience, do not continue with this car as you will be throwing salt into the sea. This car will be money pit, it will never be good no matter how much money you put into it.

Just cut you losses and move on. I'm sure there must be another M5 that you are not aware of, just be patient and you will find your dream car. In this game patient is virtue, you will find your dream car if you are patient enough. I too live in a country where luxury & sports cars were banned until recently. Is it possible for you to import used car? Good luck...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I would be tempted to reshell the car. The body shells of all E34's are the same (tourings excluded) so I would rebuild the car from the ground up and not worry.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would put all the nice M5 parts into a good 520 or other E34 shell ;-)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Find another shell mate,

To be fair you were going down the modified route with the M5 chassis
and were taking it far away from original spec anyway.

I'm sure you can find a well preserved 5xx shell and carry on regardless :)

Best of luck.

Alan.

Ps, you'll still have an awesome car in the finish !

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the support and good ideas.

Today, I felt bad when I was reading M5 guide in BMW performance. It feels sorrow to be without a E34 M5.

Best way is to get a 520 and swap all.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
+1 on the shell

Al least with a stripped shell you can strengthen it. Guessing the project will be upwards of 600 bhp so at least you can iron out any cracks, also get rid of the dead weight too.

God luck

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Very sorry to read your sad news :-(

I also vote for the re-shell route as the best option, although personally I wouldn't be able to afford the extra money.

·
Registered
593 Posts
As above, I imagine it would all be fine unless you were unlucky enough to have a crash, weather your fault or not is a bit irrelevant when the chassis and pedal box collapse.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hi there, i am not an engineer or have the kinds of experience most have here you included, but from my own 2cents worth, you were going to modify the car anyways so......
-you could fix the shell you have anyways but you would know the car better and all issues will be solved.
-Get a regular e34 (Different petrol tank "plastic" instead of "metal" in m5's) but but it won't be an original but then again a turbo charged e34 m5 will not. or
-Come to the UK get a cheap e34 m5 (undervaued here and an option i will very much go for) and transfer all the bits from you car to it.

I know its not much but thought it worth considering, whatever route you take i wish you luck. Y

·
Registered
61 Posts
May I remind you sir, that I recall reading in the thread titled "Another one bites the dust" where Reed was in a collision where he had to make the same choice as you, that you advised him to "Repair and keep on enjoying" You also added "There are better cars than E34 M5, but there is no substitute, E34 M5 is a special vehicle"
So their you have it, it was meant to be.

However, I agree with jorijori it will be a money pit. So in my opinion I would pick up a good condition e34 and swap all the M-Technik parts into it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
May I remind you sir, that I recall reading in the thread titled "Another one bites the dust" where Reed was in a collision where he had to make the same choice as you, that you advised him to "Repair and keep on enjoying" You also added "There are better cars than E34 M5, but there is no substitute, E34 M5 is a special vehicle"
So their you have it, it was meant to be.

However, I agree with jorijori it will be a money pit. So in my opinion I would pick up a good condition e34 and swap all the M-Technik parts into it.

First good news: sold my car as it is. Told the new "owner" that the car has a serious accident. He accepted as it is.

Second good news: found a black colored 3.8L M5 E34. It has a white interior. A friend of mine checked it and it has a nice chasis. No serious damage to the chasis.
200.000 km on the clock.
I may buy this E34 M5 soon.

It has polished throwing stars.

Thank you all for the support.

·
Registered
175 Posts
DaytonaM5, good for you...

Within one week you already found another M5, if you wait a bit longer you may find one with only 20.000km :) I know it's difficult to be patient especially when it's affair of the heart...

As for this car & your 'friend' assessment, I would take extra caution. Didn't your friend sell you the wrecked car? Do it the right way, take it to a reputable shop & get a PPI. You'll save yourself some money and lots of headache...

Anyway,congrats...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Whats that word again " Patience is VIRTUE and good things come to those who wait" good luck. Y

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DaytonaM5, good for you...

Within one week you already found another M5, if you wait a bit longer you may find one with only 20.000km :) I know it's difficult to be patient especially when it's affair of the heart...

As for this car & your 'friend' assessment, I would take extra caution. Didn't your friend sell you the wrecked car? Do it the right way, take it to a reputable shop & get a PPI. You'll save yourself some money and lots of headache...

Anyway,congrats...
Whats that word again " Patience is VIRTUE and good things come to those who wait" good luck. Y

Gentleman,

this is a m5 in bad condition. I wont get it. Will wait for a better one:(

Thanks for all the support.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts