BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking lately of doing some major remodeling to have the ultimate sleeper M5.

I want to keep some subtle hints such as the black trim around the windows and the m trim around the car. I also will have to keep my rear bumper due to the exhaust.

As far as making the car look like a 520i I was thinking of starting with the badge itself, the deck lid spoiler, and the front bumper.

The only issue I see is the wheels because I know around corners I need these wide tires, so does any one have a suggestion to deal with this issue.

If any one thinks this is just a bad idea all together feel free to let me know, my feelings won't be hurt.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
If you plan on being an illegal street racing punk and try to fool people into racing a 525, then it is wrong in so many ways. Take it to a drag strip. If you do, it won't matter what bumper, trim, blah, blah you have, they will know.

If you are just trying to be different, then it is your car, who cares what other people think. Have fun with your car.

I think it will ruin a perfectly good E39 M5, but that's just me.

·
Registered
13,012 Posts
Seems like a waste of time and energy.

Anyone who knows what a 525 or M5 is won't be fooled by the badging. And if they don't know the difference, then the rebadging means absolutely nothing to them.

If you are going to change just the badge simply as a private joke, then go all the way and get a 530d badge!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Why, again? If you want to be the ultimate sleeper, just debadge it. Most people think its just a big luxury 5 series anyways... they dont know what an M5 is.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the 530d idea. This was just a random thought today because I saw a "m5" today with a single exhaust and I thought it would be neat to go the opposite way with my car since everyone makes M5 clones.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
:eek7:

What?

I want to say things in this thread that I am afraid might jeopardize my board membership.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I like the 530d idea. This was just a random thought today because I saw a "m5" today with a single exhaust and I thought it would be neat to go the opposite way with my car since everyone makes M5 clones.
Ive honestly considered it as well but... no. Putting a 600hp LS engine in a 540 and then badging it as a 520d would have some merit as a comedic alteration. Ruining the beautiful M5 with non-M parts and false badges is not funny though, its just... destruction of a beautiful M5. You worked hard for your car, why ruin it?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Do. Not. Do

·
Registered
100 Posts

You already have a little of the 'normal' 5 -series with the squared-off wing mirrors.....
... unless that is not your M5 ?.....??????

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Zow - Pretty sure that was his example pic of a normal' 5 series front.

OP - Change the badge - fine, funny actually. Don't de-m5 it though. All the cool stuff on the 5, Mirrors, front, rear etc is what makes the M5 Unique, yet very subtle.

Bob

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh, ok!

Didn't Ashok (UK moderator) go around with a 520d badge on his M5 for a while?
Got stopped by the police and was told to stop tearing around like an M5.....?

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
who would you be fooling or beating?

a ton of Jap and American cars with $5k invested will smoke an M5 in a straight line alllllll day long.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If any one thinks this is just a bad idea all together feel free to let me know, my feelings won't be hurt.
Well, in that case, brace yourself, son.

Are you nuts? Is this the future of that beautiful unique machine we all love so much here? Falling in the hands of 16 year olds with crazy ideas??

Come on now studentdriverm5, either sell your M5 to someone who really appreciates it, or grow up a bit first.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Why Why Why!!! I can never understand why ppl with a M5 want to debadge it and make it look like a regular 5 series, i understand why it goes the other way around, but if you bought a M5 keep it as a M5, why debadge and make it look like something it is not, what point are you trying to prove by debadging and making it look ordinary.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Why Why Why!!! I can never understand why ppl with a M5 want to debadge it and make it look like a regular 5 series, i understand why it goes the other way around, but if you bought a M5 keep it as a M5, why debadge and make it look like something it is not, what point are you trying to prove by debadging and making it look ordinary.

Same reason Buick made the Regal T-type and the Grand National.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think a 520d badge would be funny - if you have the Vanos rattle it would sure sound the part at idle :).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts