BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done research into tire choices for the M5? When I took delivery of my E39 540i, I immediately replaced the Dunlops with Pirelli P-Zero tires. Much grippier than the original set.

Has anyone had a similar thought on their newly-delivered E60 M5?

Best regards,

·
Registered
540 Posts
Sofar everyone has gotten the Continental Sport Contact 2 that had its formulation changed to BMW's specifications for the M5

First test cars had Michelin PS2's ,but they havent been seen on a car lately

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Spiroman said:
Has anyone done research into tire choices for the M5? When I took delivery of my E39 540i, I immediately replaced the Dunlops with Pirelli P-Zero tires. Much grippier than the original set.

Has anyone had a similar thought on their newly-delivered E60 M5?

Best regards,
It's hard for me to believe that BMW would ship the M5 with 'custom' tires that are not pretty close to optimum for the car. The only reason I can see for getting new tires is if you go for 20" wheels.

I'm not wild about the Continentals though, and it sounds like the M6 tires have more grip. If you're looking for that, just get the M6 Pirellis.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Wolverine said:
It's hard for me to believe that BMW would ship the M5 with 'custom' tires that are not pretty close to optimum for the car. The only reason I can see for getting new tires is if you go for 20" wheels.

I'm not wild about the Continentals though, and it sounds like the M6 tires have more grip. If you're looking for that, just get the M6 Pirellis.
The only M6 that has Pirelli's seems to be the one some magazines got to drive
No M6 I have seen or pictures of M6 I have seen have had anything other than Sport Contact 2's

·
Registered
943 Posts
I driven my car for 8000km and the Contis work excellent.
I´ve driven in low / high temp, dry / wet, heavy rain / hail.

·
Registered
68 Posts
SuperBMW said:
The only M6 that has Pirelli's seems to be the one some magazines got to drive
No M6 I have seen or pictures of M6 I have seen have had anything other than Sport Contact 2's

The British press and now this German magazine have tested an M6 with Pirelli P Zero Corsas , same "track" rubber as comes on the M3CSL, GT3RS and Challenge Stradale .

·
Registered
192 Posts
bm5kw said:
The British press and now this German magazine have tested an M6 with Pirelli P Zero Corsas , same "track" rubber as comes on the M3CSL, GT3RS and Challenge Stradale .
The Pirelli Corsa differ a lot from the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup of the M3 CSL.
(read the new "Sport Auto")

Have you noticed that the M6 with Pirelli Corsa has a longer braking distance than the M5 with Contis? No further Comment.

After August 2005 all M6 will have Pirelli, before that date they will be delivered with Conti Sport Contact 2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts