BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

M5 Supercharger Dinan Vs. Discovery Vs RMS

17K views 166 replies 41 participants last post by  mfizzlenyc 
#1 ·
Im very happy to hear that dinan has released the blower for our e39 M5

i wanna see some time slips

so for the main title on the thread whod it be let me know

i know the prices for the dinan charger but how bout the rest:M5eyes: cherrsagai

#4 ·
dinanm5NY said:
any one have the price on the discovery kit

It's all done per the customers request so there's no "kit" therefore no price...

you can bet all the kits prices with boost level and parts being equal are on par.

#8 · (Edited)
dinanm5NY said:
lets hear some prices i know people have asked or know how much was the sc black discovery beast 800hp
Whats the point of comparing prices of 2 projects but the work involved in one is not even close to other!

Its more like 800WHP +

#9 ·
Black M5 said:
Whats the point of comparing prices to 2 projects where the work involved is not even close!

Its more like 800WHP +
Well, for one thing you have a track record of complaining about Dinan's pricing, but I think you have paid more (shipping included, but not including your RMS screwing). As your car would be illegal to operate on U.S. roads, it cannot be compared to Dinan's solution which will meet U.S. smog laws?

#10 ·
whats the point of compareing 617 hp to 1000 hp?

Thats like comparing a M5 to a civic...

Keep in mind dinan now has a setup they can sell so it's a kit...DA does not want to do kits, and custom stuff is always more expensive.

Prices

Dinan $66,000
DA....Call it the same for the same results to make you happy.

#11 ·
Philip said:
Well, for one thing you have a track record of complaining about Dinan's pricing
It seems you dont know the difference between a price and a over price

P.S. i know how jelous you are cuz it only took you 1 hour to reply to this thread and at the same time you didnt bother to reply to the M5 from Hell thread

keep talking and dreaming cuz you cant afford either of them :byebye:

#12 ·
Philip said:
As your car would be illegal to operate on U.S. roads

oh yeah i know why. Thats because its got arabic plates and front tinted windshield.

But guess what... its still being driven in California :p

#13 ·
Black M5 said:
It seems you dont know the difference between a price and a over price

P.S. i know how jelous you are cuz it only took you 1 hour to reply to this thread and at the same time you didnt bother to reply to the M5 from Hell thread

keep talking and dreaming cuz you cant afford either of them :byebye:
Wow, you know very little about me, yet you say these mean things. Lets not make this personal, please. You can't expect me to sit by and watch as you make comparisons that I see as incomplete.

You can't compare a modified non-US smogable car like yours to a Dinan S3. In California your car would be for off-road use only. This is of no concern to you, but a major issue to those here that have to pass Smog every 2 years.

#14 ·
Philip said:
Wow, you know very little about me, yet you say these mean things. Lets not make this personal, please. You can't expect me to sit by and watch as you make comparisons that I see as incomplete.

You can't compare a modified non-US smogable car like yours to a Dinan S3. In California your car would be for off-road use only. This is of no concern to you, but a major issue to those here that have to pass Smog every 2 years.
CARB is for CA. CA is not the entire US even though some residents might think so. There are states that have no smog test what so ever and others that actually go by the pollution you really produce no matter what your engine bay looks like.

CW

#15 · (Edited)
Philip,

Not taking sides, but Bill (Shadowman) has a DA super-charged Z8 that is CA street/smog legal from day 1. It does not answer the price question, but answers the smog question.

DinanM5NY,

Seeing your handle, you already tried Dinan. You must like them or you won't take pride in your handle name as such. Cutting to the chase, it's laughable to mention RMS in the same sentance as Dinan and Discovery Auto. You might just save some time by concentrating on either Dinan or DA.

To me Dinan's big advantage is their warranty and there are many Dinan reps around the country. I'm sure DA is absolutely top-notch, but if anything goes wrong, the car's coming back to CA, even though the repair is free. I'm cool with that as they are about 150 miles form my home. Others may not enjoy this luxury.

This is just me rambling out loud:
I'm sorry but I'm not with the program. I don't get the resaon to spend $65k, or more, to get 800 RWHP out of an M5. True that will make that the fastest M5 around. (traction limited as usual) But that is still NOT the fastest car one can get, especially for the $$$$$$ involved. Case in point. Does anyone think a Dinan and or DA SC M5 is a 10 seconds car? I seriousely doubt it. Is that exclusive? can't say as most lay people see a million E39s running around. It does not make the M5 corner better than many other cars on the track. It may be unbeatable between 90 MPH to 190 MPH, but how often does a race gets settled in these speed ranges? Or, if one thrives on these speed ranges, how does one keep his license in the States? I just don't follow the logic in this mod.

CP

#16 ·
Philip said:
Lets not make this personal, please.
Look whos talking ?

Philip said:
Well, for one thing you have a track record of complaining about Dinan's pricing, but I think you have paid more (shipping included, but not including your RMS screwing)

Good night everyone as it is already 3 in the morning in this part of the world and im not going to waste my energy arguing with a person from the internet who is clearly jelous.

And to get back on topic. A fair comparison is to compare a 610-620 hp D/A SC M5 (didnt the first built D/A SC M5 pump that much?) with the dinan S3. And i find it hard to believe that D/A cars would fail smog since D/A are located in Cali and shadowman's car is supercharged and is registered in Cali.

#17 ·
BlackM5,
you have a beautiful car whose performance will most likely be like no other E39 M5. The pictures of DA's work are amazing. DA certainly has done an outstanding job of meeting your needs.

What we do not know is its reliability. If I have read other threads on your car correctly, DA has reworked the engine and drive train. Only time will tell if it will hold up. And if it has problems we know you have the money to fix it. But not all of us would want to have to keep spending to keep it running.

While it is none of our business, many of us are interested in just what it did cost you to get it done (not including RMS or shipping costs). Based on how it holds up and the cost, we can then see if it would be worth it for any one of us.

We do know what the S3 will cost, and we know that the S3 will be reliable -- how? well first Dinan does not (except for the cams if you want them) rework the engine. Second they do extenstive testing of their products. The original S3 test mule was on the road for a couple of years and the second test mule has been around for awhile. And Dinan does have experience putting S/Cers on BMW cars. Most of their products except for the S/C kit have been in use successfully for many years. Then there is a warranty. People bash Dinan for the cost, but they sure have spent the time and money to develop good products. (Not to say that DA doesn't offer good products, but Dinan has been at it for a longer period of time.)

And one of the biggest factors here in the US is that the Dinan products are street legal. While you (or DA) may drive your M5 here, it has not passed the lengthy and costly emissions testing required in the US -- at least I have not read in any of the threads that DA is working with the appropriate US and California agencies to obtain certification. For those who have to get an emission test each year or two to renew their registration, this is important. Not sure how it works in Europe for aftermarket products and the European emissions requirements.

Let me make it clear that I have nothing against DA, and certainly have not said negative things about DA the way the Dinan-bashers have spoken out. And my M5 is stock (no after market products other than the Ultimate Cup Holder and the V1). While I can afford to have DA setup my car, or Dinan; for me it is a question of value for money. Do I want to spend 60k usd additional on my E39 M5? My preference is to either sell my E39 M5 and spend the additional money to get an E60 M5 or M6, or just add 30k usd to the 60k and acquire an additional M5. More performance/handling than the stock E39, many new or upgraded features, and the BMW warranty. (The looks do not bother me and SMG III is fine with me.) Then wait to see what aftermarket products hit the market. Perhaps a S/C for the V10.

BlackM5 we await progress reports on your car's exploits. Hopefully we will also hear from whomever upgrades to the S3. Important information that inquiring minds want to know.

#18 ·
chunpng said:
I don't get the resaon to spend $65k, or more, to get 800 RWHP out of an M5.
Doesnt the dinan s3 cost in the same region ? I dont see why anyone would pay that much for only 617hp where D/A would cost you half the price for the same output. If warratnty is the excuse, well D/A offers warranty as well.

As your comment on the 800WHP M5. Well those who went for the projects are the only ones who see the reason to do it and you mgiht very well not agree with them. Extreme interests require extreme measures

#19 ·
Not to go too off-topic but regarding C.A.R.B., Dinan is the only legal S/C BMW's that I know of.Now there exits many hundreds of S/C BMW's registered in Cali. but not legal(in the legal sense).

#20 ·
phinnbillM5 said:
What we do not know is its reliability
Sure will let you know.

Hopefully and for the last time tonight.. good night cuz im half a sleep ;)

#21 ·
Black M5 said:
Doesnt the dinan s3 cost in the same region ? I dont see why anyone would pay that much for only 617hp where D/A would cost you half the price for the same output. If warratnty is the excuse, well D/A offers warranty as well.

As your comment on the 800WHP M5. Well those who went for the projects are the only ones who see the reason to do it and you mgiht very well not agree with them. Extreme interests require extreme measures
I think thats the answer to the cost question rite there.

#22 · (Edited)
Black M5 said:

Black,

I'm not doubting YOUR decisions. I'm just saying that I can't see it for myself. I guess you knew that.

Hmmm... DA gives say 620 HP for say $35k, now that's great news. 800 RWHP will surely cost a ton more as these things are almost exponential, never linear.

Thanks for the info.

CP

#23 ·
I think the choice of which company to go with really depends on what you are trying to achieve. with the Dinan car you will most likely get what can still be called a very fast daily driver. with the discovery kit you are putting down an amount of power that is really not practical (or just less practical I should say) for every day use. i am not saying that the discovery kit is less driveable or reliable, but simply that the costs of maintaing and fueling a car that puts down 800+ RWHP with modified internals are likely going to be significantly more than a car putting down 500 RWHP on stock internals. so cost aside, it really depends on what you are looking for: a very fast M5 or THE fastest M5.

ernie

#24 ·
Another good thread

Rather than take sides I would rather be supportive of both. I applaud Dinan for bringing a Supercharger system for the E39 M5’s to market, particularly if it is close to a kit presentation because it will afford (hopefully) many the opportunity to experience the sensation associated with Supercharging these gals. They respond very well.

There was a time that Steve Dinan was hands on and did numerous one off custom performance upgrades all the time…..today however the face of his company has changed and Dinan is a mass marketer of some very nice products that are accessible to all through most BMW dealerships. The benefit of this from a consumer standpoint can not be emphasized enough. Can one still have a custom project considered by Dinan…….. I would say yes, it simply becomes an economic issue……how much money you want to spend.

Now on the other hand www.Discovery-Auomotive.com does not have a kit, certainly we have many repeatable processes however the scope and magnitude of every project is different. By and large we cater to those that want something unique, personal touches, not simply a “me too”.

In closing let me make clear that there are differences between Dinan and Discovery Automotive however there are many more similarities.

Take care.

Shadowman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.