BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
All,

I finally finished my obligatory break-in mileage requirements Friday night at 1am (technically Saturday morning) and was at the dealer by 7:45 am today getting the oil changed along with other necessary items as part of the "1200" mile service.

My apologies for the teaser threads...I was really just having fun with everyone and I know you'd all be good sports about it. Plus, I really didn't have much to post since I kept it <= 4,000 rpms up until roughly 400 miles.

Here's what I can share with you so far:

Torque - driving is radically improved from 3k+ rpms. I literally kept it at or below 4k rpms for the first several hundred miles and I had no problem overtaking cars on/off the highway, passing at will, etc. It has dramatically improved the everyday drive-ability of the car.

Horsepower - I have no idea really where I'm at with rwhp until I get to the dyno. The car is just so darn fast though compared to my prior modded M5. I hope to be able to provide some comparisons to a stock M5 by tomorrow and possibly a SL65 tomorrow as well. I did run against a 997 TT today here are the results:

Run 1 - Neck and neck (literally dead even), started at about 60-70 mph I believe
Run 2 - Instantly pulled on the 997 by several car lengths, started at about 40 mph, although I believe the driver was in the wrong gear
Run 3 - Neck and neck again, started at about 70-80 mph

I also ran against Scott's HPF stage 2.5 M3 and a nicely modded Ford GT. Obviously my eyes were bigger than my stomach :eek:oohhh: and got crushed by both.

The car is paired up with a new header setup thanks to XRayM5 (I owe you man!) which takes the stock headers and removes the 600-cell primary cats and replaces them with 200-cell OEM style cats (they're the same size as stock and made by the same manufacturer) for better flow. After 1,100 miles I have no CEL!!

Sound - I will not be able to do it justice, but I will tell you now it is perfect for me. It got the F1 sound back and just screams at high revs. Idle and cruise noises are not noticeable and non-intrusive in the cabin at all. You would think I have a stock car, yet when I get on it, she screams like an Eisenmann Race but without the total loudness. I will definitely post a clip by tomorrow for everyone. The F1 sound is back thankfully!

Gas Mileage - During early part of break-in I was getting 19.2 mpg and during the later part (which included blips on the tach to various levels 5k, 6k, 7k) I got 15 - 17 mpg. I haven't looked at it after today's runs though I suspect it should be less. After I get more city driving on the clock I'll share my MPG at that time.

SBM6 rode in the car with me during some of the runs and made some observations. He mentioned the car feels like it has boost that kicks in starting around 5500 (must be where the torque curve kicks up a notch) and just pinned him to the seat. Now, it doesn't pin you like a HPF stage 3 :blink:, but it's like nothing felt in the car before (except for the ASR folks I can imagine!).

I will post more tomorrow with some videos and sound. I appreciate everyone's patience with me and the teaser threads earlier.

Regards,

Darren

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Congrats, sounds like you are happy with it so far. Cant wait to hear the sound clip. Thanks for the real write up, I was getting anxious.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Darren congrats on the new motor. As I see it important results would be:
1. Dyno results
2. 0 to 100 mph times
3. 0 to 180 mph times
4. 1/4 mile
5. runs with multiple competitors especially a Z06.
6. run an ASR M5/M6 with all the goodies.

There will be a PM sent soon sir.

Ranger

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The car is paired up with a new header setup thanks to XRayM5 (I owe you man!) which takes the stock headers and removes the 600-cell primary cats and replaces them with 200-cell OEM style cats (they're the same size as stock and made by the same manufacturer) for better flow. After 1,100 miles I have no CEL!!

How do they replace the primary cats with the 200 cell style cats? Did they cut the primary cats from the headers and weld on the 200 cell cats? I'm interested in this mod! Kind to share?:grinyes:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

Sound - I will not be able to do it justice, but I will tell you now it is perfect for me. It got the F1 sound back and just screams at high revs. Idle and cruise noises are not noticeable and non-intrusive in the cabin at all. You would think I have a stock car, yet when I get on it, she screams like an Eisenmann Race but without the total loudness. I will definitely post a clip by tomorrow for everyone. The F1 sound is back thankfully!
Congrats again, Darren! Just when I thought I would be content with my car and not even consider the stroker, your write-up has got me thinking about the stroker again. ouich I'll probably give it at least a few more years and see if I like the next gen M5 first.

I would've like to have seen you walk the 997 TT. Since you have had to baby your car through the break in, perhaps the ECU will need to readapt to a more aggressive driving style and your car will get even faster.

I wonder how much of your sound improvement is due to the stroker versus the header/cat set up you have. After I got the high flow primary cats and deleted secondary cats, my sound became ungodly (in a good way).

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Apparantly the 997TT was not stock?

In anycase, I beleive several months/ mlage of run in is required to et the beas tfully waked up is my thought.

Congrats again, Darren! Just when I thought I would be content with my car and not even consider the stroker, your write-up has got me thinking about the stroker again. ouich I'll probably give it at least a few more years and see if I like the next gen M5 first.

I would've like to have seen you walk the 997 TT. Since you have had to baby your car through the break in, perhaps the ECU will need to readapt to a more aggressive driving style and your car will get even faster.

I wonder how much of your sound improvement is due to the stroker versus the header/cat set up you have. After I got the high flow primary cats and deleted secondary cats, my sound became ungodly (in a good way).

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'll add a little more to the pot:

The 997 TT is definitely stock. The car is owned by a good friend of mine (in fact, it's Quintinn from the M5board...aka, QDog the drift king ;).

After not beating the 997 TT like I thought I would something didn't feel right. There is definitely more torque down low, but up top the beast is not fully unleashing.

To validate this I borrowed another friend's datalogger and went on some runs and then datalogged a stock M5 for comparison (thanks to M5board member //WALL_ST, aka HPF M3).

The big difference which stood out is the value "Absolute Throttle Position %". Mine was never higher than 62 at WOT, while his M5 registered 76 at WOT.

I spoke to my SA from Classic BMW today (yes we called him on Sunday...this is important :) ) and he was kind of enough to take our call (Thanks Pat Arnold!). He's fairly confident the car's ECU was not "unlocked" out of it's break-in mode while it was in for the 1200 mile service. Pat will call me first thing Monday morning and let me know so I can bring in the car and get it unlocked properly.

I'll post more tomorrow after I learn more so please stay tuned. Pat was adamant my car should walk a 997 TT as well.

Regards,

Darren

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
What kind of datalogger you used to read "absolute throttle position". So, even at WOT, the throttle will never fully open 100% right?

Congrats on stroker motor, hopefully once the beast fully unleashed its potential, we all expect good video clips from DFW crew again.

I'll add a little more to the pot:

The 997 TT is definitely stock. The car is owned by a good friend of mine (in fact, it's Quintinn from the M5board...aka, QDog the drift king ;).

After not beating the 997 TT like I thought I would something didn't feel right. There is definitely more torque down low, but up top the beast is not fully unleashing.

To validate this I borrowed another friend's datalogger and went on some runs and then datalogged a stock M5 for comparison (thanks to M5board member //WALL_ST, aka HPF M3).

The big difference which stood out is the value "Absolute Throttle Position %". Mine was never higher than 62 at WOT, while his M5 registered 76 at WOT.

I spoke to my SA from Classic BMW today (yes we called him on Sunday...this is important :) ) and he was kind of enough to take our call (Thanks Pat Arnold!). He's fairly confident the car's ECU was not "unlocked" out of it's break-in mode while it was in for the 1200 mile service. Pat will call me first thing Monday morning and let me know so I can bring in the car and get it unlocked properly.

I'll post more tomorrow after I learn more so please stay tuned. Pat was adamant my car should walk a 997 TT as well.

Regards,

Darren

·
Registered
831 Posts
He's fairly confident the car's ECU was not "unlocked" out of it's break-in mode while it was in for the 1200 mile service. Pat will call me first thing Monday morning and let me know so I can bring in the car and get it unlocked properly.
Are you referring to BMW ECU, or is this a Dinan thing.
If it's BMW, I thought this was the stuff of urban legend...
And if not, how do we all know if our vehicles were truly "unlocked"?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you referring to BMW ECU, or is this a Dinan thing.
If it's BMW, I thought this was the stuff of urban legend...
And if not, how do we all know if our vehicles were truly "unlocked"?
I'm not sure, just repeating what my SA said today on the call. I'll fill everyone in tomorrow morning once I learn more.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Darren's new ride is sick

·
Registered
271 Posts
If the car was not unlocked from break-in mode that might explain the low numbers. I think that coupled with a few more miles on the engine to get everything seated and fully broken in and your LB beast will really come alive.:M5launch: Next Saturday should be fun if the car was not unlocked. Count me in for camera duty again! :hihi:

·
Registered
467 Posts
i'm kind of surprised you didnt beat a 997TT as I beat a stock one in my kelleners tuned M6. Looking forward to some additional reviews. Are you running stock headers with modified primary cats?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts