BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really dont like the steering wheel on the E39 M5, used to the one on my M3. Anyone have any ideas on what i can do?

Saw that Hartge has a sweet one for the E60 M5, would that work on the M3?

How bout the E46 M3? would that work?

I would like to retain the current functionality of the OEM wheel.

TY - KMAC

·
10,456 Posts
e46 m3 wheel is the same as an 01-03 m5 wheel, so yeah, it's a direct swap. That's what i have in my car now. I also have an alcantara wheel from a 330 with the performance package that i'm not using, if there's any interest. Similar size shape to the m3 wheel, alcantara wrapped, slightly thinner rim.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool on the swap - that moght be the answer. TY for the offer on the 330 wheel, but i am really looking for the thickness.

Where did you get the alcantra for the wheel, or was that standard? That is something that I would like to do to both wheels, should increase the grip - Does it?

·
10,456 Posts
Cool on the swap - that moght be the answer. TY for the offer on the 330 wheel, but i am really looking for the thickness.

Where did you get the alcantra for the wheel, or was that standard? That is something that I would like to do to both wheels, should increase the grip - Does it?
the 330 performance package came factory equipped with the alcantara wheel. You could also get a late model m3 competition package wheel, which is the thicker m3 wheel that is covered in alcantara. grip is better, but the alcantara can wear. I used mine for a little over a year, 16k miles or so, and it was just starting to get a little wear at the 3 and 9 oclock positions.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice - can you replace the alcantra?

·
Registered
851 Posts
the 330 performance package came factory equipped with the alcantara wheel. You could also get a late model m3 competition package wheel, which is the thicker m3 wheel that is covered in alcantara. grip is better, but the alcantara can wear. I used mine for a little over a year, 16k miles or so, and it was just starting to get a little wear at the 3 and 9 oclock positions.
I have the M3 CSL alcantara steering wheel and love it. It will definitely wear faster then a leather one... but I make it a habit to wear gloves whenever I drive. :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am i to understand that when the Alcantara wears out, you replace the wheel? Not that it would matter, just curious? Any pics on that CSL wheel? Kinda curious how diff it is from the standard M3 - unless just the finish is different.

-Kmac

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is noob post #1 - more will follow.

About 10 threads above this one, as i am typint this, there is a whole thread about changing the steering wheel. ouich

I vow to attempt to promise you to try to help myself to remember to tell you to remind me to possibly use the search function at a later date.

Signed, :blabla:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts