BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this past Monday 2/10/20 I noticed my car didn’t want to start. I had to press the stop/start button a good 10 times before it finally fired and when it did it was very hesitant and sounded to me like a bad starter. The rest of the day, Tuesday and Wednesday it was fine. On Thursday it started up and warmed up normally. I decided to open it up and at about 150 it got the dreaded reduced power warning and started smoking white out that smelled like fuel burn out of the exhaust. I limped it home and read the codes. It had all cylinder misfires among others. I cleared the codes and attempted to start the car again. It was very very hesitant and didn’t end up starting and had the reduced power warning yet again. I re-read the codes and the misfires were gone but I got 27CF fuel pressure build up fuel pump feed and A0C1 and A0B4 engine start starter operation. I have a feeling the starter is bad but would that make it smoke? I’m trying to decide if I should just replace the starter, fuel pump and fuel filter or of it may be something else. Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Might not be the starter. I would definitely start with changing the fuel filter, there have been an increasing number of stuck injectors, etc lately. Flaco knows a decent amount about fuel problems it seems, he'll be here soon to offer more than I can

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would clear the codes and start the car again to re-check what’s happening. It sounds like a secondary fuel pump issue but the starter might be going bad, although it would be a completely separate issue.

Like mentioned above, stuck open fuel injectors would be a possible cause for the smoking and misfires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies. I’m currently at 74735 miles. I reset the codes at attempted to start it again. It threw cylinders 1-5 misfire w/ fuel cutout along with 27CF fuel pressure build up once again, but no starter code this time. Now it’s also saying battery voltage low on the dash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts