BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, Some of you may remember me from my previous post about getting my car impounded by the French Police for speeding on our way down to le mans this year........ Court case is comming up on Oct 6th so I am very much hoping that as long as I bow to their every whim and wish (and no doubt part with several thousand Euro's), I should be getting my car back !!!!! :)

Here are a couple of questions for the 'Engineers' among you !!

The car will have been standing for the thick end of 4 months, with no starts or moves (I guess). I do not know what kind of an envornment its in but im pretty sure its in doors.... what are your feelings on the following ??:

Standing on its fully inflated tires for this period of time (I would think it shouldnt be a problem but im giving it some thought anyway).

Brake disks are bound to be rusted heavily and possibly binded.. (think I will jack her up and check before rolling out of there)

Battery will be DEAD. Taking a new one down there as I doubt very much the old one will have survived such a heavy prolonged discharge.

May be some moisture in the fuel - although I had only JUST filled her up before I got stopped so there shouldnt be much free space in the tank for any condensation to build up..

and now for the BIG one !!!

OIL has been standing for this whole period of time. Condensation will have formed and be sitting on the bottom I suspect. Shouldnt in itself be a huge problem but I would like to find a way of turning the engine over a few times to get it pumping around the heads / block / Vanos WITHOUT actually starting the engine....

Im hopeing that about covers things that I need to think about / consider but anyone with any further considerations that I have missed / not thought of... please chime in !!!

Many thanks !!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have vehicles stored in my garage, personal antiques. If your vehicle is indoors as you assume then you shouldn't have much worries. The rotors may have some rust, easily seen through the gaps in the wheels. It will still be drivable, a few stomps (heavy braking) on the brakes will knock most off. BMWs have a power aux shut down, but take a boost pak with you. Oil is synthetic therefore should not have really gone south. It takes a very long time for the gas to turn to lacquer and with a full tank that is sealed, no moisture should have gotten into it. So you may need to give her a real good bath and clean up. Other than that I don't think you will have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The thing I hate about cars sitting around for months on end with out any attention is the stress on the compressed valve springs. That is one of the reasons the engine should be turned over every week, or couple of weeks. Those springs have been sitting there compressed for 4 months, while some of the others are completely free of tension. Could cause a problem but over 4 months likely not I would suspect.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello Jase, or M5Jake if you prefer????

Mate, all you have to do is pull the plug leads off and turn her over for a short while to build up the oil pressure, although i'm sure she will be fine.

For all other members on here, yes!! i'm the other twat who got his M5 confiscated on his way to Le mans this year!!! Sorry i was gonna leave it till i hopefully got my car back till i posted and introduced myself!! I know how everyone likes to see pics. Sadly my camera hasn't got that much of a zoom on to snap it all that way.

Here's hoping J. Fingers crossed.

D.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Wow, I missed your earlier post? What happened? And you do not know what will happen? I think Iwill avoid France with car...

Gents, Some of you may remember me from my previous post about getting my car impounded by the French Police for speeding on our way down to le mans this year........ Court case is comming up on Oct 6th so I am very much hoping that as long as I bow to their every whim and wish (and no doubt part with several thousand Euro's), I should be getting my car back !!!!! :)

Here are a couple of questions for the 'Engineers' among you !!

The car will have been standing for the thick end of 4 months, with no starts or moves (I guess). I do not know what kind of an envornment its in but im pretty sure its in doors.... what are your feelings on the following ??:

Standing on its fully inflated tires for this period of time (I would think it shouldnt be a problem but im giving it some thought anyway).

Brake disks are bound to be rusted heavily and possibly binded.. (think I will jack her up and check before rolling out of there)

Battery will be DEAD. Taking a new one down there as I doubt very much the old one will have survived such a heavy prolonged discharge.

May be some moisture in the fuel - although I had only JUST filled her up before I got stopped so there shouldnt be much free space in the tank for any condensation to build up..

and now for the BIG one !!!

OIL has been standing for this whole period of time. Condensation will have formed and be sitting on the bottom I suspect. Shouldnt in itself be a huge problem but I would like to find a way of turning the engine over a few times to get it pumping around the heads / block / Vanos WITHOUT actually starting the engine....

Im hopeing that about covers things that I need to think about / consider but anyone with any further considerations that I have missed / not thought of... please chime in !!!

Many thanks !!

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Do we have an emergency fuel shut-off you could throw and then crank it a few times?

I don't think so, but it would be a lot easier than pulling all the plugs.

d-

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the commens...

Hi Dave !! Yeah thats what I had intended to do to be honest...... I would just like to ensure that the VANOS valve gear is up to pressure before the engine actaully starts and put load on them..... Cheers anyway mate !! I know we'l speak before but the greatest of luck on Friday mate !!

Gustav.... Supprised you missed that one mate !! My original thread is at:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/120630-help-french-police-have-taken-my-beast.html

Doug - yeah I agree mate a fuel shutoff valve would be great.. Used to have one on my 911 Turbo but dont think the M5 has one as far as I know... What I may do that might be easier than pulling all the leads is just pull the fuse to the fuel pump.... that should stop her firing up....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts