BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to the group, and just wanted to pick someone's brain on the m5 sports button.
I know what the button does but my question is more electrical. What I wanted to know is if there is a 12v signal wire behind in the wiring, so that when you push the button a wire gets 12v. I know I could rip it apart and check with the meter but iv had no time, and just wondered if any masterminds would know

Your help would be well appreciated

Sorry if its a dumb question

·
Registered
537 Posts
Reactions: Gurji

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice 1, I'm trying to make the msport button more interesting. I hate having a little green light to tell the driver the beast is ready to launch.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I am guessing you want to put a individual switch it can be done.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm trying to make the dash exciting. I want to light it up in red when the switch is engaged, and induce some red lighting on the angel eyes. Gonna try create it with some thin LEDs and a couple of relays, once I cracked it should look good, or I would have just wasted my time lol

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm trying to make the dash exciting. I want to light it up in red when the switch is engaged, and induce some red lighting on the angel eyes. Gonna try create it with some thin LEDs and a couple of relays, once I cracked it should look good, or I would have just wasted my time lol
Ok we'll good luck let me know how you progress

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i wanna See this,.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Or the opposite of that for me...

Can I engage the heavy steering only and not have the overly touchy throttle?

Sent while sittin' on the toilet

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
BMW got it wrong. People don't buy a 400 HP car for economy or hyper-miling. So the default should have been SPORT. The button should have been labelled GRANNY, or WUSS, or EASY ON THE HANGOVER.
Even Ferrari has the same behavior for the sport button. It's always nice to have the car get hyper instead of mellow down.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Even Ferrari has the same behavior for the sport button. It's always nice to have the car get hyper instead of mellow down.
Yup. I wish the stock sport throttle was quick though.

Sport off = driving in deep sand
Sport on = slightly less deep sand.

I get they want to keep the car luxurious, but the stock throttle maps are annoyingly slow.

·
Registered
968 Posts
It's not the faster throttle action I like in the sport mode as much as the better steering feel when sport mode is engaged. There are times when I'm driving downtown and turning a lot at slow speeds I'm glad i can disengage the sport mode and ease the steering effort, but otherwise it's on 80% of the time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
While we're on the topic, is there any way we can engage Sport mode full time minus the "heavy" steering wheel?
not to derail this thread, but why wouldnt you want the "heavy'' steering? it feels so much sharper in conjunction with the quicker throttle response.

I think that is a great idea to having something more dramatic happen when you push the button.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I guess I'm weird in that my sport mode is almost never on. Most of the time I am not full throttle perfectly kissing the apex and almost wiping out the granny pushing her grocery basket.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think we should be very careful when we refer to "M Mode." M Mode simply just means the M button has been activated - but really it could mean you have any setting on. Heck, your M Mode might just be Comfort suspension, DSC full on, and D2...

Granted, most people's M Modes are something aggressive and sporty, but not all. And even then it varies as to whether DSC is fully on, in MDM, or deactivated, shift mode set to S5 or S6 (or even D5 for some).

The sport button sharpens up the throttle and reduces the amount of power assistance given to the steering. Full throttle is reached much more quickly and it makes the car feel a bit more enthusiastic, so I don't see why heavy steering really matters to be honest:M5thumbs:<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message -->

·
Registered
540 Posts
not to derail this thread, but why wouldnt you want the "heavy'' steering? it feels so much sharper in conjunction with the quicker throttle response.

I think that is a great idea to having something more dramatic happen when you push the button.
Obviously personal preference for driving around town. I enjoy the snappy throttle response of Sport mode but prefer the ease of a "lighter" steering wheel when making parking manoeuvres etc.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts