BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is: Will the factory 18x8 M5 front wheel clear the brake caliper if mounted on the rear? I came accross a factory front wheel and am planning on mounting a full size tire to use as a spare but only if the wheel will fit the rear. I was told that this would work but not quite sure. Thought I'd consult with fellow Beast owners. Any help would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yes! the front stock wheel works on the rear. I have this in my car and had to use it on the rear. I am using a uni-directional tire that has a height slightly larger than stock. I can't remember the exact make or size right now.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would like to have a spare tire also, especially when taking the car on an extended trip. I have no confidence in the mobility kit, plus I don't want to deal with all of the gunk that gets inside the tire and all over the wheel.

I have the 15" Brembo BBK in Front and don't know if the stock 18" rim will work, although I have a feeling it will not. I was actually thinking of having a custom wheel made that would fit over my brakes and not take up too much space in the trunk. Possibly a 19" x 5". Could somethig like that work? Does any tire manufacturer make a narrow 19" tire? Something akin to the spare tire Porsche provides in the 993 would be great. A spare that takes up very little room deflated but can be easily inflated when needed for emergencies.

It would be great if there was enough interest that a group purchase was set up for this kind of spare tire.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Beamer_usa said:
I'm interested in a space saver spare:typing:
I don't know if the non M5 E39's have a space saver spare, but if so, that might be a good starting point.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mr_bock said:
Yes! the front stock wheel works on the rear. I have this in my car and had to use it on the rear. I am using a uni-directional tire that has a height slightly larger than stock. I can't remember the exact make or size right now.

Good Luck!
Thanks Mr Bock. Appreciate your help. Yeah, the wheel I acquired is a factory M5 wheel. Looks like this will work out perfect. Don't like using goop and waiting for the tow truck if it doesn't work. I'm planning on using a Sumitomo HTR uni-directional tire, same size as the original fronts. I currently have Michelin Sports all around. The diameter of the Sumitomo is the same as the Pilot 245/40x18. Happy Easter!

Rick :wroom:

·
10,455 Posts
gsfent said:
I don't know if the non M5 E39's have a space saver spare, but if so, that might be a good starting point.
Regards,
Jerry
Nope, full size spare on non M e39's. Depending on brakes, the smallest OE wheel you could use would be the 17x8 style 66, which will clear oe m5 brakes, as well as stoptechs. You'd save a little space in the trunk.

I'm also in for any GB on a space saver. The front wheel/tire combo takes up a lot of trunk space, and is not light!
Mike

·
Registered
931 Posts
I too would be interested in a GB on a 'real' space saver combo, but untill one is identified, I will keep a spare, jack, lug wrench in the trunk.

LOL :wroom:

·
Registered
340 Posts
rhfong1 said:
My question is: Will the factory 18x8 M5 front wheel clear the brake caliper if mounted on the rear? I came accross a factory front wheel and am planning on mounting a full size tire to use as a spare but only if the wheel will fit the rear. I was told that this would work but not quite sure. Thought I'd consult with fellow Beast owners. Any help would be appreciated. :)
Where did you find it? I too would like to have one around in case (for driving schools and long drives- in case I get a flat and need to limp home). thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts