BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YouTube - Bugatti Veyron 16.4 incredible engine sound!!!

Was browsing around youtube and came across this video.

Skip forward to 1:45 and you see all the flybys with the Bugatti in front followed by other exotics. They all make almost no noise coming by. Then you hear the M5 howl beautifully as it passes the camera.

Ironic...of all those cars on the circuit the best sounding one was one that is probably the least expensive and the only one with 4 doors.

Gotta love the M5.

Reactions: JT///M5

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
The M5 in this video actually does sound to be one of the best in this video, I'd say my other favorite exhaust note is the carrera GT but our V10's sing songs too

·
Registered
407 Posts
For sure, out of all V10's, the M5 has the best stock and aftermarket sound. For all of production cars, the Aston Martin v12 line is first place in my book and the s85 is right behind it -- almost to the point where it's a draw

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For sure, out of all V10's, the M5 has the best stock and aftermarket sound. For all of production cars, the Aston Martin v12 line is first place in my book and the s85 is right behind it -- almost to the point where it's a draw
For V12s I think the 599 GTO has first place in my book. It's not so much a symphony but more like an angry dragon roaring...

·
Registered
407 Posts
For V12s I think the 599 GTO has first place in my book. It's not so much a symphony but more like an angry dragon roaring...
Oh yea i forgot about that -- love that too

·
Registered
550 Posts
I disagree on all fronts. I think the Carrera GT V10 sounds better than the M5, as does the Lexus LFA V10.

While the S85 sound is awesome, there are a number of exhaust notes better than it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Agreed,

also the S85 was a mass produced V10, whereas the carrera gt and LFA are limited production, true motorsport engines. not to disrespect our S85s, but they are not as race spec as those V10s. regardless, M5 still sits high in terms of audibly appealing notes.

I disagree on all fronts. I think the Carrera GT V10 sounds better than the M5, as does the Lexus LFA V10.

While the S85 sound is awesome, there are a number of exhaust notes better than it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

I personally like the Carrera GT's exhaust note the best of any exotic I've heard. Its just right!

When I was at the LA Autoshow this year, the spokesperson told us that the LFA's exahust was tuned by Yahamaha to sound just like their race bikes. Thats why its so high pitched sounding. I think the S85's stock tune is pretty good, but could be a little more loud and exotic sounding if BMW wanted to do it that way. In the end, go figure, its a 4 door sedan that would most likely end up getting used to shuttle high end clients around, so I bet BMW detuned it a tad.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
YouTube - Bugatti Veyron 16.4 incredible engine sound!!!

Was browsing around youtube and came across this video.

Skip forward to 1:45 and you see all the flybys with the Bugatti in front followed by other exotics. They all make almost no noise coming by. Then you hear the M5 howl beautifully as it passes the camera.

Ironic...of all those cars on the circuit the best sounding one was one that is probably the least expensive and the only one with 4 doors.

Gotta love the M5.
An M5 station wagon nonetheless!!! Thats sweetness!:goldcup:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Agreed,

also the S85 was a mass produced V10, whereas the carrera gt and LFA are limited production, true motorsport engines. not to disrespect our S85s, but they are not as race spec as those V10s. regardless, M5 still sits high in terms of audibly appealing notes.

The S85 can be as race as those engines but it sits in a 4 door saloon, beeing loud isn´t an option from the factory. Carrera GT and LFA are supercars, they were built to go fast and make a lot of noise. All V10´s sound different...M5, Gallardo, Carrera GT, LFA, Viper.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I don't necessarily mean volume, but after talking to one of the BMW master techs (who also does work on supercars) he made some good points about how some of the components could be different, such as a lighter flywheel or different cams etc. The things that differ the GT and LFA from our V10s, but from the factory engine vs. engine we're not exactly at that level, IMO

The S85 can be as race as those engines but it sits in a 4 door saloon, beeing loud isn´t an option from the factory. Carrera GT and LFA are supercars, they were built to go fast and make a lot of noise. All V10´s sound different...M5, Gallardo, Carrera GT, LFA, Viper.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well yea, limited edition supercars -- id hope they soumd good!

I was thinking on a more practical, affordable level. Ya know, cars you see on the road every now n then.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My only point was in that video, with all those exotic cars, who knew the best sounding car would be the M5 coming by.

Yes, I agree the CGT has an incredible exhaust note, but the M5 does not lag far behind. The LFA sounds sick, but I'm personally more fond of the M5's tone than the LFA. The LFA is a bit too raspy for my tastes.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I agree with you Revo.

And Mike, that makes more sense haha. In that case I absolutely agree

My only point was in that video, with all those exotic cars, who knew the best sounding car would be the M5 coming by.

Yes, I agree the CGT has an incredible exhaust note, but the M5 does not lag far behind. The LFA sounds sick, but I'm personally more fond of the M5's tone than the LFA. The LFA is a bit too raspy for my tastes.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Agreed,

I guess the S85 is not a true motorsport engine lol ahaha, what is a true motorsport engine, should we start with Honda? Thats just snob talk "no offense" The S85 exhaust note is pretty high on the list and some cars are better sounding, most are not! Those engines should be burning out if they were "race spec." aka engine rebuilds. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ine-out-service-and-detail-picture-heavy.html

Is a cayenne engine race spec, however bored-out to 5.0 liters it won @ Daytona. Any engine which revs as high as or more than 6,500rpm, takes abuse everyday from its owner, and consistently performs is a "race spec engine" Look at the GTR, its a Nissan 350Z engine, bored-out, with twin turbos on it. Thats race spec, lol

http://www.examiner.com/automotive-...suv-engine-takes-flag-at-daytona?render=print

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I was saying in comparison to those V10's, not race spec motors in general

I guess the S85 is not a true motorsport engine lol ahaha, what is a true motorsport engine, should we start with Honda? Thats just snob talk "no offense" The S85 exhaust note is pretty high on the list and some cars are better sounding, most are not! Those engines should be burning out if they were "race spec." aka engine rebuilds. CGT - engine out service and detail - picture heavy - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Is a cayenne engine race spec, however bored-out to 5.0 liters it won @ Daytona. Any engine which revs as high as or more than 6,500rpm, takes abuse everyday from its owner, and consistently performs is a "race spec engine" Look at the GTR, its a Nissan 350Z engine, bored-out, with twin turbos on it. Thats race spec, lol

Kyle's Corner (FYI) A winning surprise: Porsche SUV engine takes flag at Daytona - National automotive | Examiner.com

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
more rotational mass vs less rotational mass, basically, another reason they cost twice the price of our humble M5's.

The V10 in my Ford Excursion doesn't even come close to these engines, I would say that the excursion vortec v10 is not as race spec, lol ahaha

1 - 20 of 48 Posts