BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had to sell my Beast due to engine trouble. She is being taken away on friday and was probably the best car I will ever own. :confused3

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
That's too bad, but what was wrong and why did that make you sell it? What did the other buyer think of the engine troubles? Tough break, but hopefully you can be back in something nice soon.
:cheers:

G

·
M5BHP said:
I've had to sell my Beast due to engine trouble. She is being taken away on friday and was probably the best car I will ever own. :confused3
Sorry to hear this. However, there are stacks of other M5s available at UK dealers and in private sellers' parking garages.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Lots of M5s at Hexagon Highgate these days.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scored bore. Main symptom is a massive oil consumption. 250mls per litre!

Stem said:
I have 94,000 miles on my 2000. I've had some problems. What, exactly, did you have??

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got the plate (M5BHP) and the exhaust (Milltek) off and there for sale if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Gutted. I must admit while I love mine I do feel pretty terrified about the potential of huge bills down the road. What you got planned as a replacement?
Cheers

Travis

PS - How much are you looking for for the exhaust?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 8 MR FQ-400

Totally different car I know, but there just so much fun when the Turbo kicks in!

dopamine said:
Gutted. I must admit while I love mine I do feel pretty terrified about the potential of huge bills down the road. What you got planned as a replacement?
Cheers

Travis

PS - How much are you looking for for the exhaust?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to a dealer, and he has no idea. Not worried about it tho, it'll just go to auction.

BmwNut said:
That's too bad, but what was wrong and why did that make you sell it? What did the other buyer think of the engine troubles? Tough break, but hopefully you can be back in something nice soon.
:cheers:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hey M5BHPt that FQ400 is a Bullet...

That thing is Insane...0-62 in 3.6 sec...Wow...that F60 numbers...totally different beast then M5...

What about 0-120 or So...Tell us some more...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll let you know, i'm picking it up 2mro!

m5 rus said:
Hey M5BHPt that FQ400 is a Bullet...

That thing is Insane...0-62 in 3.6 sec...Wow...that F60 numbers...totally different beast then M5...

What about 0-120 or So...Tell us some more...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Is there any way of knowing you have a scored bore? Is the only way cheking the engine by opening it up?

I just got my M5 and it has huge oil consumption. A bit like yours. Now I am worried.

:crying2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
When you say huge, how much?

I use 1 litre every 650-700 miles driving pretty hard all the time. Looking at the 'How much oil do you use?' poll, seems like pretty much everything is covered with loads of people saying theirs uses nothing, and others saying thiers uses loads - and everything in between... I am a bit confused as to how that can happen - surely these engines should all be the same (or is this the view of a very naive non mechanically minded person?)

Terms like scored bore scares the be-jaysus out of me!!

Cheers

Travis
Kin Mak said:
Is there any way of knowing you have a scored bore? Is the only way cheking the engine by opening it up?

I just got my M5 and it has huge oil consumption. A bit like yours. Now I am worried.

:crying2:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I drank 2L of oil in about 350miles now that is high. Garage I bought it from(not BMW) said that it might just be the car not being driven for a while(which I think is crap), should be back to normal in a couple of weeks.

Anyway I have the car booked in on Thursday next week for BMW to take a look at and I will ask them to look out for a scored bore. What's the bets they will think I am a nutter ouich

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yikes!

How long have you had it? If less than six months you can take it back, and get your money back due to it being of unmerchantable quality... If over six months you can still do it, but it will be more difficult if it comes to court...

I would get a letter off to the supplying dealer now detailing the problems you are having so that you have a nice clear paper trail in case you have to 'persuade' them with court action.

I learnt all of this the hard way with a horrific experience with an Alfa 156 Selespeed - piece of s**t!

Hope it all comes out alright for you.

Cheers

Travis

Kin Mak said:
I drank 2L of oil in about 350miles now that is high. Garage I bought it from(not BMW) said that it might just be the car not being driven for a while(which I think is crap), should be back to normal in a couple of weeks.

Anyway I have the car booked in on Thursday next week for BMW to take a look at and I will ask them to look out for a scored bore. What's the bets they will think I am a nutter ouich

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The best thing you can do with a scored bore is:

1.) If you have a BMW Warranty, go to the dealer and BMW will provide you with a new block and fit it all free of charge.

2.) If you don't, stuff it full of wings additive and sell it to someone you don't like as fast as possible. As the only symptom is oil consumption, the car will pass your average dealer's part ex appraisal.

dopamine said:
Yikes!

How long have you had it? If less than six months you can take it back, and get your money back due to it being of unmerchantable quality... If over six months you can still do it, but it will be more difficult if it comes to court...

I would get a letter off to the supplying dealer now detailing the problems you are having so that you have a nice clear paper trail in case you have to 'persuade' them with court action.

I learnt all of this the hard way with a horrific experience with an Alfa 156 Selespeed - piece of s**t!

Hope it all comes out alright for you.

Cheers

Travis

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Well, it might come down to that at all. The old consumption might be due to something else and might not be a serious problem.

When I called BMW to book it in they knew the car well and said that the previous owner did take care of it very well.

Fingers crossed it is not a scored bore.

hmmm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts