BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
First of all, please DON'T reply with any of the following:

1. Flaming emails how there are GREAT women drivers. I agree.
2. Insulting emails about the wifey. :)
3. Comments about "manning up". I lost that battle when I had my third daughter. Nothing but estrogen at home.

So, here's the deal. Bought my M5 some time back, but the wife hates the SMG. She doesn't know how to drive stick, so doesn't really get how that translate to these new auto-manual trannys that are becoming more and more popular in sports cars (Porches, Ferrari, Lambos). I finally got rid of my 96 Z28, which she hated, because she could barely reach the pedals and the car felt "big". I get the M5, so both of us can drive. Aaah, then there's the SMG!

I tell her it can drive in Auto, but she just replies with "Where's the P? I need a P?" "Why does it hesitate b/w shifts?" :grrrrr:

Yes, I've given her lessons and walked her through it, but I basically drive it 95% of the time as my daily commuter. So without constant driving, it just doesn't sink in for her.

I WANT her to know how to drive this car...basically, so she stops bad mouthing my ride and I want her to want to drive it also.

Thus, my nerdiness prevails, which I'll risk public persecution and share with you. Here's my PowerPoint for basic instructions for her. I plan to laminate it and keep it in the car for her.

This is really no joke. I also don't want her to toast the SMG either or roll off a cliff when parked.

PS, of course I left out some steps and you probably have better ways to explain the steps...but this would will do for what I need.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Nice, saved this on the Ipad for future reference when someone needs to drive my car in an emergency situation. The SMG tune from ESS, when you put the car in drive will start in Auto rather than manual, for those valet/friend situations, need to do that soon.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
LOL, that is priceless. I just don't let my wife drive my car, keep it simple. She doesn't want to drive it anyways as I bought her a Land Rover and she is happy with that.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Great post! You made no mention of the M button :dunno:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe my memory is hazy, but I don't recall having to move the shifter to D/S before putting it in reverse as the reverse instructions show.
Thats what I thought to

Also can the dealer change the memory option so the car always starts in Auto. The CSL always starts in Auto and you have to change it to manual. Or are your instructions just fool proof incase she has fiddled with the stick first?

Top guide for people though :cheers: (None before driving though :haha2:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the PDF file, which I've attached. You can print it for your amusement.

Want an extra level of nerdiness...I laminated and it's in the car for her. I gave it to her yesterday and she laughed.

To reply to some of your comments:

1. Yeah, when I first start the car, it won't let me shift from N to R directly. I have to get out of N (D/S) and then go into R. I don't think it's like that when you're already driving though.

2. No, I did not show her the "M" button, which for me is switched to S6, P500, and DSC off.

3. I didn't even attempt to explain the Power, DSC, or EDC buttons either. She would just yell at me more about the car. Maybe if she gets comfortable with just start/rev/drive/park, and I'll show her the other stuff.

4. Yeah, the big X was important to me before she ends up driving around town at 9K not knowing to upshift. I tell her, the number is EVIL...you want the D. You want the D.

She's driven before with me in the car...mostly tipsy...but never alone, yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks again for the instructions! I'm gonna print this out for my fiancee too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have the PDF file, which I've attached. You can print it for your amusement.

Want an extra level of nerdiness...I laminated and it's in the car for her. I gave it to her yesterday and she laughed.

To reply to some of your comments:

1. Yeah, when I first start the car, it won't let me shift from N to R directly. I have to get out of N (D/S) and then go into R. I don't think it's like that when you're already driving though.

2. No, I did not show her the "M" button, which for me is switched to S6, P500, and DSC off.

3. I didn't even attempt to explain the Power, DSC, or EDC buttons either. She would just yell at me more about the car. Maybe if she gets comfortable with just start/rev/drive/park, and I'll show her the other stuff.

4. Yeah, the big X was important to me before she ends up driving around town at 9K not knowing to upshift. I tell her, the number is EVIL...you want the D. You want the D.

She's driven before with me in the car...mostly tipsy...but never alone, yet.
This is absolutely BRILLIANT!

Thanks for the PDF file, def. going to give this to my wifey!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts