BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im about to purchase a 00 M5 with CPO maint/warranty.
It expires next july 06 or 100K.

From what I understand, the service indicator lights up.
to tell you when you need a oil change and etc.
Does it tell you when you need a coolant flush,
differential change, tranmission fluid, spark plugs and etc??

Also when does the indicator tell you, that you need a inspection II???

Reason I ask, is im hoping that i can get this M5 serviced for inspection II
and all the other maintenence I mentioned above to get done. BEFORE
it the maint/warranty runs out.

Im hoping that the indicator isn't waiting for 100K for it to indicate it needs
all these services. Right after the warranty runs out..

any insight will be greately appreciated.. :M5launch:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
The lights only tell you when you need oil service or Inspection. Coolant and brake fluids are on a time basis only. I think brake flush is every 2 years and coolant every 3 (or 4). But neither fluid service is covered by CPO. CPO is like a warranty on defects but with a deductible of $50/visit. New M5s also came with a maintenance contract for free service including fluids for first 3 yrs./50k miles or something like that. But on '00s that's long expired. I think you could buy an extension of that for something over $1000 for a year or two, but don't recall how long you could get. So as far as CPO is concerned, unless you have something break before 6yrs./100k miles, that's all you have.

·
Registered
977 Posts
This will sound dumb, but can someone tell me how I read my service indicator? The manual says things light up, but I what I'm seeing looks more like back lighting.

When the car turns on, the service indicator shows as follows

Left most icon is green with 90 degree bend
Next is a single green dash
Next is 3 green blocks
Next is a single orange dash
Next is a red icon with 90 degree bend (opposite of the first green one)

NONE of these appear LIT to me. They look like what you see as a backlight on the dash when you have the lights turned way up, but after a few seconds, all of these turn off and the service indicator portion of the dash is pitch black.

So what's the car telling me? I'm at 45k miles and last service was 37k. These icons have been like this since 43k miles with no chance.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
HDClown said:
This will sound dumb, but can someone tell me how I read my service indicator? The manual says things light up, but I what I'm seeing looks more like back lighting.

Next is 3 green blocks

NONE of these appear LIT to me. They look like what you see as a backlight on the dash when you have the lights turned way up, but after a few seconds, all of these turn off and the service indicator portion of the dash is pitch black.

So what's the car telling me? I'm at 45k miles and last service was 37k. These icons have been like this since 43k miles with no chance.
Ermmm... do you have some dead pixels? That might be causing those missing blocks of green?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
HDClown said:

Next is 3 green blocks

I don't recall what the ends are supposed to look like but the 3 green lights in the middle indicate it's a long time before the next service. Eventuallly they'll be down to one light. It's almost time to schedule a service. Once the green's go out, the display then shows "Inspection" or "Oil Change". Driven normally, the order is oil change, oil & inspection I, oil change, oil & inspection II. These occur as much as 15k apart, putting inspection II at 60k miles. Mine just occurred at 58,200. It is not covered unless you can and have exteneded the original 36k free maint. Some folks also get the oil changed 1/2 way between and don't reset the light.

PS it is normal for the lights to show up for only 10 seconds or so.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Richard in NC said:
I don't recall what the ends are supposed to look like but the 3 green lights in the middle indicate it's a long time before the next service. Eventuallly they'll be down to one light. It's almost time to schedule a service. Once the green's go out, the display then shows "Inspection" or "Oil Change". Driven normally, the order is oil change, oil & inspection I, oil change, oil & inspection II. These occur as much as 15k apart, putting inspection II at 60k miles. Mine just occurred at 58,200. It is not covered unless you can and have exteneded the original 36k free maint. Some folks also get the oil changed 1/2 way between and don't reset the light.

PS it is normal for the lights to show up for only 10 seconds or so.
To Answer Kim Mak, I have a brand new cluster, replaced 1000 miles ago, so no dead pixels.

The lights just seem dim to me, they were the same on my old cluster. I expected them to be much brighter, like the lights on the tach.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Mine aren't very bright but usually readable with no problem counting the lights.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
HDClown,

The lights only stay on for may be 20 seconds after you start your engine, then the yturn themselves off. So you have to check them with key in position 2 (before engine firing) or right after you start your car.

As for the original question by E39 MFIVE, the light bars go as follows:
First set green to yellow: oil service.
Second set green to yellow: Inspection 1.
Third set green to yellow: oil service.
Fourth set green to yellow: Inspection 2.
Fifth set: repeat above cycles.

The BMW SAs are instructed NOT to write cars up for service unless the yellow bar is showing. I have SAs that provide service with 1 green bar left. As such, you have little control over whether you can do Inspection 2 before your maintenance period expires, especially if you have more than 1 green bar showing.

Daryl is spot on with the balance of the services-coolent, spark plugs, brakes fluid, transmission fluid etc. are on mileage or time cycles. The green/yellow/red bars have no bearing on these items.

Hope this helps a little.

CP

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
chunpng said:
The lights only stay on for may be 20 seconds after you start your engine, then the yturn themselves off. So you have to check them with key in position 2 (before engine firing) or right after you start your car.
I think you can also press and hold the "button" above and to the left of it on the instrument panel and it will cause them to light at any time. But it has been awhile since I really looked at it or tried it, so I might be mistaken.

chunpng said:
The BMW SAs are instructed NOT to write cars up for service unless the yellow bar is showing.
Its funny, I could swear I read somewhere that they would do it when you were down to the last green, but when pressed about it with the SA, I couldn't find the docs. I ended up running into the red, as I had tried to get it done before a trip, as I knew it would go through the yellow before I made it back...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what i understand.
the M5 im looking to buy.
has an extended maintence plan to 100K miles/6years.
like the warranty.

I quote from the owner " it has all available extended maintence and
warranty that you could get, its maxed out"
He even went on to tell me, that he'll try to
get the clutch replaced, and get new brakes
and rotors under the maintence.

So I figured, i might as well get as much stuff done on it as i can
before I buy it. Or get done.

Can someone tell me what Inspection II is??

thanks

·
Registered
977 Posts
Clutch and Brakes are considered maintenance items. Maintenance was 3yr/36k miles. This could be extended to 4yr/50k miles or 6yr/100k miles as long as the original 3yr/36k period has not expired.

Brakes get replaced under maintenance no problem as long as they need it. Most dealers seem to give you 1 clutch under maintenance, but it's easy for them to say it was abuse and they will not cover it.

E39 MFIVE said:
From what i understand.
the M5 im looking to buy.
has an extended maintence plan to 100K miles/6years.
like the warranty.

I quote from the owner " it has all available extended maintence and
warranty that you could get, its maxed out"
He even went on to tell me, that he'll try to
get the clutch replaced, and get new brakes
and rotors under the maintence.

So I figured, i might as well get as much stuff done on it as i can
before I buy it. Or get done.

Can someone tell me what Inspection II is??

thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts