BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe im just paranoid.. but im curious..

Are M5's targets for car theives???

Since production Numbers are relatively small.
Im curious what the theft rate is.

How good is the stock BMW alarm system???
Are the M5's easy to steal??? or no?

Since our keys transmit code.. Even if someone broke in
would they be able to break the the ignition and hot wire it?

You guys take any other precautions with your Beast..
so it doesn't get stolen???

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't know the numbers, but would think the theft rates are pretty low for a couple of reasons.

1. Most cars are stolen for parts. The low numbers of M5s produced makes it much harder for a thief to part it out and make anything.

2. It can't be started without the key, so it's difficult to to steal.

3. If it was stolen, the thief couldn't replace the ignition switch or get a duplicate key. Only the owner, with proof of registration that is sent to BMW, can do this. This protects us against even a dealer helping out a thief.

4. The alarm is highly integrated, and has motion sensing. I personally think the alarm is the least likely deterrent, but it doesn't hurt.

My main precaution - park in the garage. I also seldom if ever take the M5 to events with large scale parking, like sporting events and such.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
chrisj said:
4. The alarm is highly integrated, and has motion sensing. I personally think the alarm is the least likely deterrent, but it doesn't hurt.
The alarm isn't that great. People - or a pesty cat in my situation - can still vandalize the car and not set it off.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Agreed it's not a deterrent to vandalism. I don't think it has any type of shock / external motion sensor. It does have a good internal motion sensor, though. Roll down the window and set the alarm, then stick you arm inside. I found this out by surprise :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
chrisj said:
Agreed it's not a deterrent to vandalism. I don't think it has any type of shock / external motion sensor. It does have a good internal motion sensor, though. Roll down the window and set the alarm, then stick you arm inside. I found this out by surprise :M5thumbs:
What's the best after market alarm?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well on mine, I set the alarm just to go back in the house for a few more things...coming back out and walk past the windows it went off...so I thought that was pretty cool. So I guess when the windows are up, the sensor just bounces off the window.

chrisj said:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I, too have set mine off...unfortunately, I was in my closed garage when I did it! My ears were ringing just a bit, that sucker is loud! You won't forget that high pitch for a while after you've experienced a close encounter of the M5 Alarm!

As far as security goes, I drop off a gift card a few times a year to the security desk at my office - not only do the guards keep a closer eye on my baby in it's usual parking spot at the furthest end from the entrance, but they all know who to expect driving the beast when they hear the rumble coming towards the exit gate. If you've got security at your work, it might be a good idea to buy these folks some breakfast or lunch once every 6 months, getting to know your environment means getting to know those who monitor it regularly, IMHO.

Good luck!

·
Registered
213 Posts
can't you also set a code through the nav screen on the m5s so that you cant turn it on without the code?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts