BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

What other M-car options are there for front seat swaps for my e39 M5?

I've been spoilt over the years with SAAB seats: either my 9000 Aero or the wife's 9-5 Aero (sadly) always ends up being our choice for a long journey because of this. I find the M5 seats too firm and lacking in that luxurious comfort of SAAB seats.

The Recaro's in the 9000 (below) are out of this world, being really supportive but also sooo comfortable: I completed a 1500 mile trip over a long weekend feeling zero back issues, yet 2 hrs is my max in the M5.

Is there a BMW alternative to keep things in the family, that is both sporty but also very comfortable?

My alternative is something like the Recaro Style Topline, but not at over £2.5k each new...

Many thanks

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
Depending on your height, one solution is lower the seats as low as they go and put a soft pillow under your ***. This solution doesn't carry an official BMW part number, but it has worked for me.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hi,

I think it's earlier Z3 M Sport seats that can be made to fit into an E39 relatively easily (if not directly physically). Also as mentioned, E38 Sport Contours are a sought after change as they fit quite easily. I've just put in E38 Sport Contours in my Touring daily and I get lower back problems and so far, they've been more supportive than the usual Sport seats I've had in there the last 14+ years. I've as yet not had a long drive with the E38 seats, if I find they aren't as comfortable as I'd like them to be, I'm either going to find some other seats which are more suited to me and retrofit those or, modify the E38 ones - perhaps add heated and massaging elements.

The likes of Recaro Ergomed seats would perhaps be ideal, but those are big money !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

I think it's earlier Z3 M Sport seats that can be made to fit into an E39 relatively easily (if not directly physically). Also as mentioned, E38 Sport Contours are a sought after change as they fit quite easily. I've just put in E38 Sport Contours in my Touring daily and I get lower back problems and so far, they've been more supportive than the usual Sport seats I've had in there the last 14+ years. I've as yet not had a long drive with the E38 seats, if I find they aren't as comfortable as I'd like them to be, I'm either going to find some other seats which are more suited to me and retrofit those or, modify the E38 ones - perhaps add heated and massaging elements.

The likes of Recaro Ergomed seats would perhaps be ideal, but those are big money !

Cheers, Dennis!
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Do please let me know how you get on with your e38s :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depending on your height, one solution is lower the seats as low as they go and put a soft pillow under your ***. This solution doesn't carry an official BMW part number, but it has worked for me.
I'll check out the parts catalogue, see what I can find...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
E38 Sport Contours - Multiple are sale 1K for a pair - less if you are lucky. Amazing seat.
Fab: this sounds ideal, at least to try and then simply sell on again if not for me...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Even if you get a pair from a well optioned e38 - comfort without the sport bolsters. They have an articulated backrest that hinges in the middle. Wonderful support options.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’d say replace the foam cushion inside the seat base first before you start exploring expensive options.
It makes a world of difference to the comfort of the seat with our cars at this age.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sadly, if he is spoiled by a SAAB 9000 Aero seat, a cushion won’t suffice. The e38 seat backs are really good. Find an e38 with the articulated backrest, and try it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts