BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 M and the front seats are cooked, leather is hard and the controls basically don't work.

Has anyone replaced these seats with something else? Vader seats? Any input is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

db

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I would probably stick with a set of OEM e34 seats - they should be pretty easy to find.

Or perhaps replace with a pair of properly upholstered Recaro SR's a la Winkelhock/20J although this is quite a pricey option.

This is not a car you want to put Sparco or similar bucket seats in IMHO unless you plan on tracking it - looks tacky I find.

If you are unconcerned about weight a set of fully adjustable Recaros (like the ones installed on certain older Brabus Benzs or Alpinas) would look pretty sweet.

Lantz

·
Registered
299 Posts
Anything can be done with the right amount of fabrication.

VAC makes adapters for the E34 to be able to run Sparco, Recaro, and other brands of sports seats. They cost $220 per side.

I know of people over on bimmerforums who have installed Vaders and E28/E30 sports seats.

One of things that draws me to the E34 M5 is the seats. I would love to lose some weight but I love the way they look and feel. I would consider finding some good used leathers to replace your worn out ones and then fix the controls.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Every time I read one of these posts, it makes me so glad that I have the Euro, manual seats. No gearboxes or motors to break.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Check out 93FIM5's build thread as he converted his seats from electric to manual. Only caveat is you'll need to find another set of manual seats.
I think it's starts on page 26 onwards in his awesome build thread. I consider his build thread the benchmark for anything customized on our M5's!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got an entire black interior from a '95 E34 525i that is taxi leather (fake leather which holds up well) and is in perfect condition. I'm parting the car as I repair an M5 but don't need the seats. Let me know if you need them. Based in Texas.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I personally dont like electric seats.
I like Recaro SR2 like the M5 20 Jahre. That is a cool seat.

Reactions: vitomir

·
Registered
34 Posts
The M5's power seats are heavy as hell, too.

I kicked around the idea of swapping them out for a set of seats from an Evo VIII, but the hitch is that the M5's lower seat belt anchor is integrated into the seat frame, and the Evo's isn't (sad trombone).

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
SRD correct.
Honestly in my eyes it is too difficult to differentiate SR2 and SRD

Reactions: vitomir

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have manual seats as original equipment with leather and the same m cloth as the winkelhock cars in my 90 euro spec. The manual seats are an awesome setup if you can find them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts