BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed many times before but I can't find a clear answer.

My car has been in the garage for the winter with the battery disconnected. I went and connected it tonight just to start the car for a while and noticed something different about the Moniter, its blue with no sat nav opition. I can hear the sat nav disc spinning in the drive in the boot but the small power light is not on. The radio, TV, computer still work fine. The car is November 2001, I think its the Mk3 Sat nav no DVD logo.

All help much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The Nav computer is not booting up for some reason.

When you have Nav and TV installed the TV monitors the bus for a message from the Nav computer, if it does not see a message for 60 seconds then it kicks in and provides a MK II like interface so you can use the radio, OBC etc.

When you disconnected the car battery did you ensure that the red light on the MK III was out? There is a critical time, 1 minute after the last iBus message that the Nav sees, during which if you disconnect power you will brick the Nav computer. Unfortunately, as the battery is in the boot and opening the boot sends an iBus message, this is almost exactly the amount of time that it takes from opening the boot to disconnecting the battery negative terminal.

It's possible that the Nav CD mechanism has just become stuck after a period of inactivity, so you could try ejecting the map disc, powering it down (if the red light is NOT on) pull both blue and purple plugs and leave them out for 10 minutes, then powering up with no disc in.

With these cars, IMO, it's better to leave the battery in the car with a battery tender than to remove it.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
That sounds like the EEPROM problem to me, you can send them back to Siemens in Germany but it's not economical - MK IV upgrade time?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it straight forward ungrading to Mk4. Do I just buy one and plug it in, or is there more to it.

Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any idea where I would get one? Looked on ebay but they seem to be serious money. Would one from a Range rover be the same? If it was would the Land Rover logo come up on the moniter rather than the BMW one.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Range Rovers were never fitted with a MK IV as standard, they used a MK III with special software which included off road navigation. Many owners have upgraded to the MK IV though. The Mk IV is expensive though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts