BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have recently seen quit a bit written about the M5 prices "softening" around the country and even here in Southern California. I cannot comment on the rest of the country, but here, they are as in demand as ever. The wait for a new one at MSRP is in excess of six months and more likely to be nine months.

Since I have a 5\00 build and am waiting for my 2001 to be built, I thought I would share my actual experince in selling the 5\00. I am only selling because I did not get the exact options that I had ordered on the first car. It is a carbon black with sportive(cracked) interior. It is offered at $86k used with 5K miles and not a scratch on it. That is about $10k over MRSP + taxes + and all the other charges. The salesman handling the sale has sold two ever month this way for the last year!

I am thinking about ordering four more spaced every couple of months. Now, the first one will be mine, but the other four at a $10k mark up each, will simply make my $70k M5 turn into a $30k M5! It is simply the law of supply and demand.

Does BMW try to stop this type of activity? Does anyone have experience with this?

Now please do not flame me for my thoughts here. I am simply willing to get on the list with a little money down and be responsible for reselling the car at delivery. Yes there is some risk, but that is what rewards are all about.

Mark

·
Registered
63 Posts
Do you really need to make your money, or reduce your costs, by causing other enthusiasts to spend more for their individual cars? BMW may not mind, nor penalize you for it, but I know that some Ferrari dealerships frown on it. When putting my deposit down on a 360 at Ferrari of Atlanta (they sell at MSRP), they specifically warned me that they would not want to sell me another car in the future if I quickly sold the 360 for a profit in this speculative market. I assured them that this is not my intention, and applauded them for their position. There are plenty of other more palatable ways to make money in this world. AD

1 - 2 of 2 Posts