BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got on a track! I went to Roebling this weekend with First Coast BMW. What an incredible event. 2 days and 4 hours of track time with excellent instruction and a wide array of cars.

My instructor was outstanding. He was all business and gave me constant instruction and was somewhat critical when we started. Each run he got quieter and quieter and eventually started having me do more advanced techniques. The last run of the day he wanted me to try drifting (losing the rear end purposely and controlling with throttle and light steering) through the long sweeping turn before the straight (this turn is done at 90 mph) and I was like - yeah right, no thanks!

Surprisingly the M5 was one of the fastest cars out there (in the novice and B groups - there were Ferrari 355 Challenge cars, Porsche GT3s, and others in A group). I was faster than a bunch of cars I didnt think I would have a chance at around the track... E60 M5, 911 Carrera 4S, E36 M3s, M Coupe, race-spec E30 325s, and a couple E46 M3s. A note on the E60: I staged behind him on one of the sessions Sunday to see how we stacked up. He had Hartge exhaust (which sounded awesome by the way) and drove the car pretty hard in previous sessions, so I knew it would be a good race. I was all over him through the turns and shockingly on the straight he only pulled on me by probably 10 yards before the braking zone at turn 1. Not sure if he wasnt shifting at optimum rpm or what (I was shifting at 7,000 rpm in 4th) but I was amazed I could keep up. He finally got tired of seeing me on his bumper and let me pass after 2 laps (probably the first and last time I will ever pass an E60 on a track. The only car that passed me day 2 was a fully built E36 race car with professional driver - he was the organizer of the event and pretty much drove with all the groups (I could still put good distance on him on the straight but he was all over my *** through the turns)!

On day 1 Erik (fellow E39 M5 owner) and I went at it for about 4-5 laps which was awesome (until my instructor had enough and had me focus on my driving, rather than Erik's car). He was drafting me down the straight about 5 ft from my bumper - the only time I hope to see my rear view full of M5 at those speeds. We were both seeing mid 140s on the straight which was faster than any of the cars in our group.
All the guys watching said it was the highlight of the day as our cars (my tubi and his britalman) were loud as hell going down the straight together. Pretty cool. It is a pretty interesting experience when you constantly had to brake on the straight to prevent yourself from rear-ending other cars. Also, aside from switching to 5th on the straight, we did the whole course in 4th gear - got to love the torque of the S62!

I learned a ton and felt faster and faster throughout the weekend. At the end of the day yesterday he told me that I was already ready to step up to B group and that I should be very happy with myself as I was one of the best novice students he remembers having. He has been instructing at Roebling since 1984 so that made me pretty happy. All in all my car did incredibly well - no fading in brakes (surprisingly considering you have to brake from 140 to about 60 in Turn 1 - the Hawk HT-10s were worth every penny) and the engine was strong. Only issue was understeer, understeer, and understeer. 4300 lb cars (with 2 people in it) dont like sweeping turns at 70 mph. My front left tire looks like a racing slick on the outer edge as a result. Makes me realize how much faster you can be with suspension and camber plates.

Some pics:

Comin up on traffic... my favorite part of the track was turn 3.

Turn 3...

Chasing Erik into turn 3 - the most fun laps of the weekend!

Another lap... turn 3

This 350Z was really fast... this was Day 1. I let him pass after a couple laps then tried to stay with him. I could keep a consistent distance from him since I was faster on straight, but he blew me away in turns - he had coil-overs, light wheels with wide rubber, exhaust, etc. He ended up moving to B group and was a good bit faster than the blue E46 M3 farther down... he was kind of the "control" for the weekend as I could really measure how fast I was watching him with the B group.

Poor 530... he got lapped again and again.

Dont know why my camera was so grainy (I wasnt taking the pics of course...)

A thing of beauty... notice it was kinda overcast Sat morning. Track was still wet from rain the night before in first session...

3 beasts together... the other Carbon Black one here wasnt racing - just visiting his nephew, Erik. No, my wheels arent painted black!

Nice E46...

This is the E46 that shockingly got blown away by the Z as well... great guy from Wilmington, NC. I love this car - had the competition package as well.

My buddy for the weekend...

Brief clip of the first session of the weekend... track was still wet.

More vids to come!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Wasn't it you back in the early summer or so who had recently bought the car and was having doubts about it, doing the work on it yourself, stuff like that? I think I sold you my short shift kit (my memory sucks, but I know it was something). Regardless - I'm glad to see that you are enjoying the car and had some fun on your home track.

I spent many a hot (and often wet) summer weekend at Roebling, and it's a great track to learn on. Yes, you will destroy your front left tire, but I caution you to stick with street tires as you learn the course and get even faster. When (not if) you go off, that sand is very unforgiving and I've seen several cars flip at RR. I've also, personally, gone off (turns 2, 4, 5, 6... ah hell, most of 'em:eek:h:) while driving and I remember a couple of cross-country jaunts with an instructor at turn 3 that I found rather amusing at the time.

Down the road as you get more comfortable with the car and track driving, do consider taking a long weekend and doing an event at VIR. It's a beautiful track and well suited to a car like the M5.

Me.... I gave up that stuff five years ago. Every-so-often I get wistful and think of returning. Maybe if I ever see my new car...

Michael

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wasn't it you back in the early summer or so who had recently bought the car and was having doubts about it, doing the work on it yourself, stuff like that? I think I sold you my short shift kit (my memory sucks, but I know it was something). Regardless - I'm glad to see that you are enjoying the car and had some fun on your home track.

I spent many a hot (and often wet) summer weekend at Roebling, and it's a great track to learn on. Yes, you will destroy your front left tire, but I caution you to stick with street tires as you learn the course and get even faster. When (not if) you go off, that sand is very unforgiving and I've seen several cars flip at RR. I've also, personally, gone off (turns 2, 4, 5, 6... ah hell, most of 'em:eek:h:) while driving and I remember a couple of cross-country jaunts with an instructor at turn 3 that I found rather amusing at the time.

Down the road as you get more comfortable with the car and track driving, do consider taking a long weekend and doing an event at VIR. It's a beautiful track and well suited to a car like the M5.

Me.... I gave up that stuff five years ago. Every-so-often I get wistful and think of returning. Maybe if I ever see my new car...

Michael
Yeah, yeah. That was me :byee55amg. I still have the UUC SSK you sold me which I never installed because I drove one with it and realized the one that was on my car was shorter still. :confused:

Everyone there kept saying the same thing about VIR. I think before I do another event I really want the 9.5s up front and camber plates. I look to add suspension some time down the road as well. Most of the excursions I witnessed this weekend were turns 1, 4, and A brand new ZO6 overshot his braking zone in Turn 1 Friday (I wasnt there) and went into the trees - car was a total loss (driver was fine)!

·
Registered
426 Posts
What a great thread, I am so excited to hear how well the M5 did. I have always wanted to do a track day in my car. I've done Roebling Rd a few times in various cars, including a session with the Ferrari club and me in a Testarossa...that was a blast. Talk about a heavy car to beat around that track, YIKES.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
hey I'm getting jealous here, glad you are having fun. I'm still figuring out when i can do this. but don't worry you will know.

b the way, get the Dinan rear sway in the meantime. it will tame the under steer a little, until you have the money for rims and full suspension.

·
Registered
446 Posts
looks like a blast.

i have never really wanted to track my car(s), but now I'm feeling the beginnings of an itch.....uh oh!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts