BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

We did it! After a long wait, we took a lap in the famous M5 ring taxi!
Guys, that was soooooo nice.

The first good news of the day was that Sabine would be our driver. That being said, things didn’t start as planned. While I was visually checking if the EDC/electronic throttle/engine management/gearbox were in the most extreme modes, Sabine had a laugh with those of us on the back seat (they were asking for as much drift as possible if I’m not wrong). This is when we bumped into another car in the parking lot! No damage on the M5, a few small scratches on the Speedster bumper… Sabine sorted things out with the two-seater owner and came back in the M5 after a few minutes.
Her sense of humor was not damaged either as she claimed: “Aaaaargh those plastic cars are not that strong!”.

So we were in the greatest car in the world, on the most demanding track in the world…
In the first straight line, I was not impressed by the acceleration. I thought it was similar to my 321bhp M coupé. Then she remembered that she had turned the engine off because of the little accident, which meant we were back in P400. At the exact time her finger touched the so called “M mode” button, wouhaaaaa, the car turned into a very nastier beast. I didn’t expect such a difference (have a look at the video, you’ll understand what I mean).

The lap was fantastic. We out accelerated many cars, even some bikes. Impressive. Even more impressive was the Sabine’s car control. Everything seemed so natural and…easy. Again, have a look at the video, you’ll understand. (And forgive our “ooooh, aaaah” that ruined the V10 soundtrack”).

The brake pads are different from OEM and the car may have a different suspension setup. By the way EDC was set to intermediate in the Sabine’s car, but on sport mode on the other car.

SMG mode was S4 on both cars. I asked why not S6 and Sabine said it was “enough”. I guess it is a BMW engineers advice. She was in “D” automatic in the parking lot.

More pictures on my website:
Ring Taxi gallery

Link to the video (M5 board exclusivity! lol):
www.soete.com/ring/2005-ring-taxi-soete.mpg
Right click “save as”. 94MB Video HD.

"Front engine. Rear wheel drive. Big smile*. The end".
* at 112 mph / 180 km/h

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Very cool video - thanks :cool:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Nice pictures and video, thanks for the effort :)

Why does the Ring taxi have a Michelin sticker on the back? I thought Michelin didn't have any tyres for the M5.

·
Registered
218 Posts
one of the best videos I have seen - thank you....

Did you say that car was set in EDC (normal mode), S4 gear change, P500S and special brake pads and suspension set up ? If so, I will tune my up as well - good enough for Sabine, good enough for me (shame I cant drive like her !)

sounds really good time you all had - more pics, videos ?

:cheers:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
360bhp said:
Did you say that car was set in EDC (normal mode), S4 gear change, P500S and special brake pads and suspension set up ? If so, I will tune my up as well - good enough for Sabine, good enough for me (shame I cant drive like her !)
She is indeed using S4, and she does not lift the throttle at all as a result shifts were quite neck snapping. Even for Sabine, surprisingly, as she does know exactly when the shift is going to happen.

Something else I remember : one taxi had 13 000 km, the other barely 5 000 km. As the car is replaced every year, they obviously don’t bother with the break-in.

Anthony

·
Registered
74 Posts
. yes yes, very interested, raw material, without the artist vid-hick-ups (which are photographically cool), same high superb quality as the vid you posted, would be brilliant, (btw, I've checked your site long before, when it had the first ringtaxi photo's, also very very cool, and high-quality, thx for that) :wroom:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Very tasty indeed, thanks to 535d for pointing this link out to me. Video was produced very well. The start stop motion adds to it but it does get too much at the end. Can't wait to see the whole video when put up. :wroom:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts