BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background
I recently upgraded from a 2005 M3 SMG (fully loaded w/competition package) to a 2008 M5 SMG. M5 is space gray/black perforated with every option except heated rear seats and sunshade. I also neglected to get the iPOD adapter and now regret that decision.

SMG
Since I “grew up” on the SMG with my M3 I felt completely at home with the newer iteration in the M5. Shifts definitely seem to be smoother in the M5 than the M3 ever had (no more bucking bronco effect). However, I have noticed a few strange things that were different or rarely present in the M3. When in D-3, the shift from gears 1 - 2 is great – revving to about 4500-5000rpm. However, the shift from gears 2 - 3 is horrible with the car going for about 1000 rpm before shifting into 3rd. It’s almost as if gear 2 is an afterthought and the car just decided to skip it all together. In other words, you pick up great momentum in 1st gear only to have the car bog-down in 2nd and then gain momentum in 3rd. The M3 was the opposite – 1st gear never revved high enough but 2nd was great. I’ve also noticed that regularly when I turn off the engine or come to a stop the transmission will clunk into gear 1 – I can recall the M3 doing this maybe a handful of times that I owned the car. Over the course of time, the clutch in my M3 wore and gear 1 would rarely grab without a little slippage. I’m already beginning to feel that in the M5 just ever so slightly (normal?). Also, the SMG paddles in the M5 feel different than the M3 – I think they are slightly thicker and the springs seem to be considerably stiffer.

Handling
I’m going to have to concur with all the reviews I’ve read about the car feeling much “smaller” that it actually is -the handling is awesome for a 4,000lbs sedan. I love the adjustable EDS settings and the default comfort setting makes the ride very nice. I steadily grew tired of feeling every single bump in the road with my M3. For obvious reasons the M3 was much more nimble and zipping in/out of traffic was much easier than with the M5. I’ve noticed that corners I could easily take in the M3 (at say 40mph) now cause the DSC light to flicker heavily. However, one thing about the DSC on the M5 is that it doesn’t seem to retard the engine nearly as much as the DSC in the M3 did. If you ever saw the DSC light come on when cornering in the M3 you knew it right away as the car would take noticeable control.

Brakes
The brakes are very sensitive and have a similar feel to the M3. I have to apply only slight pressure to bring the beast to a stop. One thing I seem to be struggling with is that the car is 4000lbs and I need to get used to stopping with the extra mass :eek:oohhh: as I’ve had a few close calls already.

Interior
All materials appear/feel to be of high quality and are levels above my old M3. Gone are the occasional rattle and poor trim fitment. The alcantara headliner is a sweet touch and adds a classy yet sporty feel to the car. The perforated leather seats with active width are absolutely awesome -words can’t describe how comfortable they are over the standard leather seats in the M3. They are fully adjustable into about any imaginable position and I swear it feels like I’m sitting on pillows. The navigation system (like in the M3) is very poor. The ability for it to be displayed on the HUD is nice but I find the map to be small and very poor resolution. I can’t relate to the problems people have with iDrive – I find it to be intuitive and easy to use. One note regarding the satellite radio - for those of you who have ever owned a Sirius Stiletto, the ability to see what’s on a channel without having to actually tune to it is nice. I wish our Sirius receiver had that ability. The HUD is awesome and I would recommend it to anyone. The active-width is cool and passengers seem to get a kick out of it when I turn it on.

Negatives
Gas mileage (big surprise) is poor but not nearly as bad as most have experienced on the board. Same driving habits/same roads now result in 14.5 mpg vs. 20mpg in the M3. The “fuel reserve” chimes in at a little under a ¼ tank. When I first took possession of the car the gas mileage was 9.5MPG which has subsequently risen to 14.5MPG. I’m praying that trend continues to 15MPG (which I will be happy with). BTW, I do not drive incredibly aggressive and most is freeway driving (at 80mph+). I definitely find myself missing the alcantara steering wheel from the M3 and that’s the first thing several people have asked about - “how come you didn’t get that suede steering wheel”. The leather wheel is nice but feels “sticky” to me sometimes. I wish someone would manufacturer an alcantara wheel for the M5 already. In my opinion, the enhanced premium sound isn’t all that spectacular – as you increase the sound the highs seem to increase in volume at a greater rate than the mids/lows. Over the past few weeks that I’ve had the car I have come to learn that the passenger-side tweeter is damaged. I hear a noticeable popping sound from the speaker (similar to a blown speaker sound) and will have them replace it (under warranty) when I get my 1200 mile service performed.

Acceleration/Speed
Although I’ve yet to really open it up, I haven’t passed up the chance to see what the car can do once or twice. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say the acceleration and speed of this car is ridiculous. You can go so fast so quick that it’s over with before you even know it. Going from 80mph to 120mph is so fast compared to my M3 that it’s almost not even fun. The car is so refined that 120mph feel likes 65mph. The lack of torque also makes it feel as if you aren’t really accelerating as fast as you really are. I’m about 2 weeks away from the first break-in service and I can hardly wait.

Engine Sounds
From inside the car, the growl of the engine is awesome. From outside the car, the engine does not sound like a 500hp V10 beast – it sounds pretty underwhelming and too refined (if you know what I mean). One thing I noticed, a strange sound from inside the car: I hear a whine that is very similar to the spin-up of a turbo. I’m sure it’s normal but I wasn’t expecting to hear it at all and it makes me concerned sometimes. The clunk from the SMG at a stop bothers me as well – I used to hear it only under heavy acceleration in the M3.

Other Observations
On more than one occasion I have “got on” the gas to pass/speed-up/etc. and remarked at how fast the acceleration was only to realize I’ve been in P400 mode the entire time…Ha.

The younger crowd gazed at the M3 much more than the M5. However, I’ve had older guys actually stop and stare at the M5. As well, fellow BMW drivers will frequently give the car a hard stare – almost as if they’re paying their respects to the king. I rarely see another M5 on the road and it makes the car feel much more exclusive than the M3, which now seem to be a dime a dozen.

Questions
*Does anyone’s HUD come on when they push the M button? This would be nice.
*How come the Logic7 has more spatial settings than the enhanced premium sound? I’ve seen pictures on the board here of stadium/theater/etc.
*Why don’t the doors unlock when you turn off the engine? In my M3 I never had to use the door handle twice to get out.

Future
You will definitely see a set of HRE’s new BMW Monoblok’s on my M5 very soon. RPI scoops/filters/charcoal delete also coming soon. I’m contemplating an exhaust now as I was a day away from ordering an e-race before all the drama started. iPOD adapter also needed soon as MP3 CD's not cutting it.

Thanks for taking the time to read…
\Scott
:cheers:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I totally agree with your reviews, I also had an M3, your absolutely right in the differences. As far as the HUD, mine is always on, and when I hit the M button, it changes display to show the speed & rpm in green/yellow/red. It will no longer display other info. like navi. You can change the settings of what happens to the HUD when you hit the M, use the i-drive->settings to change the display. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. Now, tell us more about HRE Monoblock:eek:oohhh:: style/weight/available size. I'm interested in replacing my current wheelset.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
very nice write up !!

im from SD ;)

been buy the HRE location couple times for the HRE meet, whens the next one?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Do they have the HRE Monoblock for BMW now? I know they currently have them for Porsche etc...

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Do they have the HRE Monoblock for BMW now? I know they currently have them for Porsche etc...
and for Audi and Mercedes, but thats because Mercedes was the first make for it

and Audi and Mercedes fitment is very similar minus the hubcentric ring, which is easy fix

damn they look nice

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Here are pics of the HRE monblok forged aluminum wheels on my Audi RS4. These are 19x9.5 all around and weigh 21 lbs. each. With HRE's custom design and offset I can run 285/30/19 tires which NO RS4 has ever run. The 285 look nuts on the car!
http://picasaweb.google.com/whitneydelgado63/AudiRS4AndTheGang
Enjoy the pics. I love these wheels. I am waiting for a set for my M5 in 20" (20x9 and 20x11)

Now after long and hard thinking I decided not to let several A-HOLES (Mr.Vroom) to keep me silence. If you do not like it, say so and lets find out what a combat veteran Airborne Ranger is all about.

It is a pleasure to be back among all you great guys and so much enjoyed all the discussions.

Gentlemen it is an honor to be back,

M5Ranger

·
Registered
184 Posts
Great Post and observations! I also have an '08 and live in San Diego, too.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Congrats Scott, cant wait to come by and check it out!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. It is always refreshing for new owners to post their thoughts. It is great to be reminded about what an awesome hunk of metal the E60 M5 is. :thumbsup: With all of the new powerful vehicles coming out, I am still not remotely tempted to trade mine in (It doesn't hurt that mods keep me interested).

Here are pics of the HRE monblok forged aluminum wheels on my Audi RS4. These are 19x9.5 all around and weigh 21 lbs. each. With HRE's custom design and offset I can run 285/30/19 tires which NO RS4 has ever run. The 285 look nuts on the car!
http://picasaweb.google.com/whitneydelgado63/AudiRS4AndTheGang
Enjoy the pics. I love these wheels. I am waiting for a set for my M5 in 20" (20x9 and 20x11)

Now after long and hard thinking I decided not to let several A-HOLES (Mr.Vroom) to keep me silence. If you do not like it, say so and lets find out what a combat veteran Airborne Ranger is all about.

It is a pleasure to be back among all you great guys and so much enjoyed all the discussions.

Gentlemen it is an honor to be back,

M5Ranger
Hey Juan,

Now that you changed your mind about M5board, I hope you reconsider your idea to rent an airfield in South FL once the dust settles with the Ocala incident. You had my hopes up....:M5launch:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The HRE monoblok forged aluminum wheel maybe available for BMW (M5) in about 3 months as per Chad from HRE. Hopefully I should have the first set in gunmetal. This was planned months ago.
This is an awesome, light one piece wheel. I put in the category of the Neez QD7 but significantly less money.
I do not know what they will be called but probably B40's since the Porsche are P40 and Mercedes are M40.
To my knowledge they have the mesh design and an 11 spoke pattern whichis very beautiful.
HRE keep the good work up and I'll keep buying.

Cheers,
M5Ranger...Juan

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 05 m3 and looking at exact car-I think I will share the same opinion as you do

Mike

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
The HRE monoblok forged aluminum wheel maybe available for BMW (M5) in about 3 months as per Chad from HRE. Hopefully I should have the first set in gunmetal. This was planned months ago.
This is an awesome, light one piece wheel. I put in the category of the Neez QD7 but significantly less money.
I do not know what they will be called but probably B40's since the Porsche are P40 and Mercedes are M40.
To my knowledge they have the mesh design and an 11 spoke pattern whichis very beautiful.
HRE keep the good work up and I'll keep buying.

Cheers,
M5Ranger...Juan
Welcome back, Juan. YOu alwasy bring something interesting to our community. Don't forget to post the pic:applause:

BTW, do you know the price range, weight for HRE Monoblock. PM is fine too

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for all the input guys...the car truly is awesome.

Monoblok Info:
Size:
19x9 / 19x10.5 | 20x9 / 20x10.5

Weight:
We do not have this yet. I will post as soon as it's available.

Style:
A mesh design exactly like the M40/P40 and a split 7-spoke similar to our 891/591.

I'll more than likely have the first set :hihi: so I'll be sure to post pics as soon as they're on the car. I can't really decide what finish I want....car is space grey so I'm leaning towards brushed. They should be available very shortly....I can't say any dates yet but just hold tight.

princealidds: I enabled M mode for the HUD but I frequently find myself not using the HUD at all unless I'm in a race mood. I just thought there may be a way to get the HUD to turn on when pressing the M button without having to reach over and turn the HUD on separatley.

Anybody have any idea how to get the doors to unlock when the engine goes off??

SoCal guys: We're having an event here at HRE this month - check the regional event forums for more info.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts