·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Val said:
Hasnt it been posted already?
Anyway, thx! :cheers:
no, i don't believe so.

maybe you get mixed up by Automobile's review i posted earlier? for some reason, they share pictures for this particular review.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just one word: AWSOME!!! I believe Car is one of the best mags in the uk, no? This review brings be back to the E34 days :D. Actually, it reminded me of the C&D article when the E34 M5 arrived in the US.

Just amazing... ok, now i got to find a way to make 3000€ a month (after taxes :p) and I will be a happy men lovelove lovelove lovelove

·
Registered
270 Posts
If the car is HALF as good as they describe it, it's already the best car out there :) I'm a bit skeptical, but I'm saving up my coins anyway. Thanks for posting!

"E60 S85"... gotta go buy the license plate before it gets reserved by someone else :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
:eek: Another exceptional article! The wait has just gotten a bit harder here in the states! :sad3: Ah but it will be worth it. :M5launch:

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hbmf3 said:
:eek: Another exceptional article! The wait has just gotten a bit harder here in the states! :sad3: Ah but it will be worth it. :M5launch:
i just hope they don't tune the US-spec M5 to be softer, slower, quieter, or heavier in any way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
tifosi said:
i just hope they don't tune the US-spec M5 to be softer, slower, quieter, or heavier in any way.

I agree. BMW didn't detune the E39, so I think that bodes well for the U.S. version of the E60 M5. I'm just dying to get my hands on one. :wroom:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Great review and wonderful pictures. I wish I did not see it now because I am beginning to want one again:(.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Great Article, really enjoyed the read. :thumbsup: Interesting comment about BMW considering reversing the function of the Power button in the UK. Now how many E39 M5 owners would have like that. :M5launch:

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hbmf3 said:
I agree. BMW didn't detune the E39, so I think that bodes well for the U.S. version of the E60 M5. I'm just dying to get my hands on one. :wroom:
BMW did, however, detune the E46 M3 for North American market slightly. more restrictive exhaust for cleaner emission (which also changes the exhaust note a bit) as well as less aggressive Launch Control. and these are the things i am worrying about. although i know i am just nitpicking, and i am sure the US-spec M5 will still be far superious than competition anyway. :flag:

1 year down, another year of wait to go :1:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
What a review. Wow.

Points that stuck out in my read:

1.) Another glowing review of the brakes.
2.) No crying about i-Drive (the reviewer actually found the power/sport/edc buttons as well as the M-drive.
3.) That it has no competitors!
4.) How brutal it is (the first review that I think possibly conveys the experience and abilities of the car in terms of the senses).
5.) How capable it is as a total package.

As for US spec... I believe that it will come here with no less than 500hp. As I have said all along, marketting is going to drive the power levels. Even if BMW could have hit this performance with less power, it still needed the 500hp. Simply because of MB and Audi's "competitors" and having the ability to advertise 100hp per liter in a NA engine.

As for the e46 M3, I thought they were identical, just different measuring methods (such as the 400hp in Europe and 393 in the US for the M5)?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
As for US spec... I believe that it will come here with no less than 500hp. As I have said all along, marketting is going to drive the power levels. Even if BMW could have hit this performance with less power, it still needed the 500hp. Simply because of MB and Audi's "competitors" and having the ability to advertise 100hp per liter in a NA engine.

As for the e46 M3, I thought they were identical, just different measuring methods (such as the 400hp in Europe and 393 in the US for the M5)?[/QUOTE]
I believe the European test specifications for measuring HP are DIN vs SAE for the US. Below is a good summary of the test methods:

SAE Net Horspower
In 1972, American manufacturers phased in SAE net horsepower. This is the standard on which current American ratings are based. This rating is measured at the flywheel, on an engine dyno, but the engine is tested with all accessories installed, including a full exhaust system, all pumps, the alternator, the starter, and emissions controls. Both SAE net and SAE gross horsepower test procedures are documented in Society of Automotive Engineers standard J1349. Because SAE net is so common, this is the standard we will use to compare all others.

SAE Gross Horsepower This is the old process that American manufacturers used as a guide for rating their cars. It was in place until 1971. SAE gross also measures horsepower at the flywheel, but with no accessories to bog it down. This is the bare engine with nothing but the absolute essentials attached to it; little more than a carb, fuel pump, oil pump, and water pump. Because the test equipment on the engine is not the same as in SAE net, it is impossible to provide a mathematical calculation between SAE net and SAE gross. As a general rule, however, SAE net tends to be approximately 80% of the value of SAE gross. SAE J245 and J1995 define this measurement.

DIN Horsepower This is a standard, DIN 70020, for measuring horsepower that very closely matches SAE net. The conditions of the test vary slightly, but the required equipment on the engine and the point of measurement (flywheel) remains the same. Because the test conditions are so similar, it is safe to divide DIN horsepower by 1.0139 to arrive at SAE net. This value is so close to equal that for all but the most technical purposes DIN and SAE net are interchangeable.Interestingly, 507 HP / 1.0139 = 500.05 HP. Looks like BMW will be able to advertise 500 HP in US specifications.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts