BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a mysterious misfire problem with my 2000 M5 for the past couple of months. (See http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/171764-misfires-bank-2-a.html for details if you are interested.) I have used Black Forest Werkshop for the past 12 years on my M5's, but they couldn't find the problem (after they introduced it), and the local BMW dealer had the car for 10 days before saying they would need to pull the head (at a cost of $4300) to continue the search.

I have a great deal of data on what the problem is NOT, but I would appreciate recommendations for a shop to continue the search. It wouldn't have to specialize in M5's or even BMW's as long as they have the test experience and troubleshooting skills.

Thanks,

Wayne

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've heard good things about Terry Sayther Automotive. He's been active in BMWCCA stuff and races BMWs. No first hand knowledge.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry to hear you've had a problem with Black Forest. Terry Sayther is supposed to be pretty good… but man, that shop :[. Collin at Soulspeed used to work for Black Forest and does a great job. I have also heard Pauls Motor Werks is very familiar with our M5s. Lastly, there is Phoenix Auto on 6th who has been doing excellent German/Euro car work for many years. Good luck!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sorry to hear about your expense, I've also heard good things about Terry Sayther, from BMW and Mini folks. I used Black Forest for a PPI, some suspension work, and thermostat replacement (which they botched the first time around but fixed promptly). tradin1 made a comment in another Austin thread about getting a shady feeling from them, I guess this is more evidence of that. tradin1 who do you recommend in town?

Does anyone know if Sayther (or anyone else in town) does appointments? Would love to get a GT1 hooked up to my M5 for some diagnostics and BlackForest does first in/first out only.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My experiences with Black Forest have generally been positive. The owner and mechanics are friendly and helpful, but it is a business. The owner agreed that my car ran much better when I brought it into his shop to have the flex disc changed than when the job was complete. And he thought the car was running even worse after they fixed a vacuum leak under the plenum. But in neither case were they able to find the source of the problem. (In all fairness, neither was the dealer.)

The event that has caused me to search for another shop was a discussion after I picked up my car at the dealer and went back to Black Forest. The owner said that it was clear to him that they did not cause the problem. He felt that it was just coincidence that the problems surfaced while the car was in his shop. My position was that that they MAY not have "broken" anything, but they definitely introduced a problem. Therefore, they should identify the problem and then we could discuss whether paying for the repair was my responsibility or the shop's responsibility.

The situation would probably be the same at any service shop. If a specific repair (installing a thermostat) was not done correctly (something leaked), they will take responsibility and fix it. If something peripheral damage occurs (disconnected wire, punctured vacuum line, broken weld) during the repair, they will attempt to deny responsibility. Clearly, the situation is even more complex when there are symptoms, but not an identifiable problem.

BTW, when my thermostat went out, Black Forest quoted $650 for a replacement. Since this job didn't require a lift, I bought the necessary parts on-line for $74 and a couple of gallons of antifreeze from the dealer; and then followed one of the tutorial on this board. It took about four hours (I was careful AND lucky -- it worked the first time), but if you have done it before and have a lift (those lower covers are a lot easier to remove and install on a lift), I'll bet you can easily do the job in two to three hours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts