BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HT, nice bbs.

I bought a 2001 m5 in december '00 - it was my first new car purchase (and my 11th car ever). Within a few months I noticed my car would go into 'limp' mode after some high way ramps (high speed ramps
). The first time it happened I got scrared and pulled over immediately just in case. I restarted the car and the 'service soon' light cleared and I was back to 400hp. It took over a year of this happening wiht increasing frequency (once every 3 months to eventually weekly) before they agreed something was wrong even though the engine diagnostics revealed cylinder 1 would misfire every time I reported the problem. They eventually replaced my engine free of charge (oh, the windsheidl too - they broke it during install I guess). Since then the transmission has had an annoying whine to it and the hood has never sat quite right. In any case I got a 2 yr warranty on the engine (almost a year beyond the original 4 yr factory warranty).
My warranty expired in december 2004 and I took my car in for service in June for a oil/fluids service; everything came out clean - they did their whole checklist inspection. My engine warranty expired in August and I decided to get the extended warranty that BMW offered me *after* my factory warranty expired; this required an pre approval inspection so I took her in and they found 2000 worth of work that needed to be done... the kicker? All of it fluid leak stuff (leak from valve gasket, leak from differential). I was pretty upset that they didn't notice this during the fluid service a few months back (when it would've been free to repair!). In any case I decided to take my car home and think about what I should do. On teh way home the service engine light turns on so I brought the car back in and some fuel system component needs to be replaced which will require a lot of engine disaasembly (read over $1000). The dealer said BMW NA offered to split the cost of one of the engine repair items so that rather than paying $900 as quoted for that line-item I will have to pay $400 as I only need to be 1/2 of the retail price - does that mean they were charging me more than the retail price - what the heck??
You might surmise I am furious at the build quality and the service i am receiving from BMW.
Any advice appreciated. Oh yeah - anyone want to buy a 2001 M5 with only 34k miles (only 15k miles on the engine)??

have a nice day

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Ouch... sounds like you've had your share of problems. I think you'll find that you are in the minority here. Others have had problems, but the majority have enjoyed their cars with little or no troubles.

It sounds like more of a dealer issue that build quality from your descriptions. You might try another dealer. As I've not seen the specific problems you've identified, I can't help with possible solutions.

Good luck!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
RamM said:
HT, nice bbs.

I bought a 2001 m5 in december '00 - it was my first new car purchase (and my 11th car ever). Within a few months I noticed my car would go into 'limp' mode after some high way ramps (high speed ramps
). The first time it happened I got scrared and pulled over immediately just in case. I restarted the car and the 'service soon' light cleared and I was back to 400hp. It took over a year of this happening wiht increasing frequency (once every 3 months to eventually weekly) before they agreed something was wrong even though the engine diagnostics revealed cylinder 1 would misfire every time I reported the problem. They eventually replaced my engine free of charge (oh, the windsheidl too - they broke it during install I guess). Since then the transmission has had an annoying whine to it and the hood has never sat quite right. In any case I got a 2 yr warranty on the engine (almost a year beyond the original 4 yr factory warranty).
My warranty expired in december 2004 and I took my car in for service in June for a oil/fluids service; everything came out clean - they did their whole checklist inspection. My engine warranty expired in August and I decided to get the extended warranty that BMW offered me *after* my factory warranty expired; this required an pre approval inspection so I took her in and they found 2000 worth of work that needed to be done... the kicker? All of it fluid leak stuff (leak from valve gasket, leak from differential). I was pretty upset that they didn't notice this during the fluid service a few months back (when it would've been free to repair!). In any case I decided to take my car home and think about what I should do. On teh way home the service engine light turns on so I brought the car back in and some fuel system component needs to be replaced which will require a lot of engine disaasembly (read over $1000). The dealer said BMW NA offered to split the cost of one of the engine repair items so that rather than paying $900 as quoted for that line-item I will have to pay $400 as I only need to be 1/2 of the retail price - does that mean they were charging me more than the retail price - what the heck??
You might surmise I am furious at the build quality and the service i am receiving from BMW.
Any advice appreciated. Oh yeah - anyone want to buy a 2001 M5 with only 34k miles (only 15k miles on the engine)??

have a nice day
Sorry to hear of all this. First of all take it easy and do nothing while in a hot temper. Be cool, that is far more scary to the dealer.

It is highly unlikely all the leaks you describe developed at the same time and within such short time. Often leaks on M5s are rather slow seepage. Have a look under your car yourself, and in the engine compartment.

Note where the leaks are visible. Wipe everything clean. Drive the car a week and then look again. Perhaps most of your leaks are slow enough not to be a real problem.

How much oil do you have to add?

If the transmission and differential are noisy, it could mean low fluid level. This is easy to check. Just open the fill plug and feel with a finger. The fluid should be all the way up to the fill hole, both on the transmission and the diff.

Diff fluid stinks beyond description. It is the most revolting smell imaginable. That is normal, but you definitely want to wear a disposable ruber glove when doing this.

BTW be careful so you don´t burn yourself on the exhaust pipes or on the transmission or differential oil. Those oils get very hot (150 deg C) when driving hard.

David

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Yikes, sorry to hear about your unfortunate experiences:( It seems like tech/techs that worked on your car didn't have to much experience behind the wrench. Try a different mechanic/dealer. It's like an old friend used to tell me, "other than the occational lemon, it's not the car that has problems, but the mechanics that work on them are to blame."

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
RamM,

Which dealer is that?

I had my shares of 'issues' in my last 6 months of ownership. Everything that you alluded to I have fixed in my M5, and a whole host more. Although my car had 68,000 miles by then.

BTW, the limp mode and SES is most likely the MAFs, I feel your pain as that caused me a lot of grief as well. Now that I have a chance to reflect on my repair list, owning an M5 out of warranty is truely a scary proposition. I love the car to death, but am really leary about the numerous items that could go wrong. As days go by, it's less and less likely that I will have another E39 M5 in my garage again. An E39 530i may be, but the M5 scares me. Along that line, BMW cannot pay me to take an E60 M5. If I kept it as long as I normally keep my cars (10-12 years), the repairs will likely exceed the cots of the car itself.

Sorry for the rant.

CP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
chunpng said:
RamM,

Which dealer is that?

CP
Allison View BMW though they had a change of ownership and are now Mountain View BMW; it's the same staff. Note that this car has had many other problems including the rear ride height which has been low since I got the car (2 tires replaced and they rolled the fenders but would not replace the springs - it measures low but they say it's within spec - the rear is OBVIOUSLY lower than the front); also the NAV system display didn't work when I first got the car and a couple of parts where missing (car manual, plastic cover for sensor under rear view mirror). Did I mention the passenger rear window clacks when you close it from fully open? Also the car's electrical is a bit flakey - every once in a while the audio cuts out (everything still works, change station etc) and sometimes the doors lock or unlock themselves randomly (not the 3mph convenience auto-lock). Wan't more? The paint where the roof-rack mount point covers are has peeled off - all in the 10 months since the primary warranty expired.

The worst part is I'm still tempted to buy a new M if they'd give me a mind boggling deal - of course I'd sell it under the original warranty!!!!!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
chunpng said:
If I kept it as long as I normally keep my cars (10-12 years), the repairs will likely exceed the cots of the car itself.
Pong,

You have just discovered the secret BMW Business Plan for the E60 M5!

David

·
Registered
767 Posts
RamM said:
Allison View BMW though they had a change of ownership and are now Mountain View BMW; it's the same staff. Note that this car has had many other problems including the rear ride height which has been low since I got the car (2 tires replaced and they rolled the fenders but would not replace the springs - it measures low but they say it's within spec - the rear is OBVIOUSLY lower than the front); also the NAV system display didn't work when I first got the car and a couple of parts where missing (car manual, plastic cover for sensor under rear view mirror). Did I mention the passenger rear window clacks when you close it from fully open? Also the car's electrical is a bit flakey - every once in a while the audio cuts out (everything still works, change station etc) and sometimes the doors lock or unlock themselves randomly (not the 3mph convenience auto-lock). Wan't more? The paint where the roof-rack mount point covers are has peeled off - all in the 10 months since the primary warranty expired.

The worst part is I'm still tempted to buy a new M if they'd give me a mind boggling deal - of course I'd sell it under the original warranty!!!!!
If your the original owner, was the car repaired after an accident? Perhaps before delivery that you were unaware of? The delivery condition and problems you mention make me think it was. Peeling paint on the roof-rack mount? Were you using the mounts? if not, maybe repainted??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Philip said:
If your the original owner, was the car repaired after an accident? Perhaps before delivery that you were unaware of? The delivery condition and problems you mention make me think it was. Peeling paint on the roof-rack mount? Were you using the mounts? if not, maybe repainted??
I am the original purchaser/owner - I paid the gas guzzler tax so at the very least the gov't considers me the original owner, additionally I thought I was buying a new car and it was sold to me as such in 2000 (a 2001 M5). I've never used the roof-rack, I just happen to notice that where there should be white paint there is now blackness (rubber?) in some places.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts