BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks!! Before starting let me put on my flame-proof vest on top of my bullet-proof vest. Ok, I'm ready. Ready to buy a 1993 3.8 euro M5. I tried to find one in good shape around here, but no luck. Since I really needed to buy some sort of transportation, I ended up with an Audi S6.:nono: . I know... For quite some time the turbo provided some entertainment, but deep inside I wanted an M5. I guess it was not very wise to switch after seven years driving Bimmers, but the good son always returns home. I'm selling the S6, even though it is in excellent shape, to help pay for the M5, that costs about two Audis, here.

The prospect car seems to be in very good condition, will drive it next saturday. It has about 80,000 km of experience, is Silver and has the Nurburgring option. PO already fixed a faulty rear suspension, so my first question is: even though it is notoriously troublesome, is it common to find such a low mileage car with such a problem, or is it a clean indication that the indicated mileage is not kosher?

Won't bother you guys much longer on my first appearance, but would love to hear from your previous experience with this iconic car. I plan to use it as a second car, but suspect that I will find myself driving it a lot, perhaps 20,000 km per year, and wonder how expensive it can be. What do you guys say: is it worth the money spent?

Seeya soon,

Antonio

·
Registered
354 Posts
Heya, Iv'e just bought a 91 M5 3.6 with a genuine 73000 miles on.
It's broken down already... possibly through lack of use...
It wont turn the starter motor. The dash lights are not dimming, indicating the problem may be before the starter itself.
Other than that it's been fantastic...A scary car which keeps you on your toes while driving it hard, but is very docile in normal traffic conditions. Almost lazy on the motorway as you don't need to drop down from 5th at all. I recently drove mine back 150 miles at no more than 80Mph (with only two good blasts to 110... dropped to 3rd and floored of course hehe) and managed to get 28.8 Mpg... as good as any big BMW iv'e owned....
Since then Iv'e been getting more 'Enthusiastic' as BMW like to say, and the mpg isn't quite so good... but we'll just ignore that eh? :)

Have fun an hope it don't break like mine has :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts