BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My M5 radio suddenly sounds like the antenna connection is loose (it's not). The stations come in...but poorly. Sound familiar out there?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't think you're the only one. The reception on my e36 M3 and e39 M5 SUCKS!! They both always skip certain radio stations that my Jap SUV picks up. The radio quality is pretty poor too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Radio reception does suck. Anyone have experience with adding satellite and integrating thru the factory radio ?

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Don't know if it applies to you guys, but there was a radio recall for those who were having problems only. Do a search ... it was mentioned in a few threads ... Hawkwind was one who had problems, if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My radio reception is fine for FM. AM sucks, but none of my cars have evern gotten good AM reception around here, so I gave up listening to talk radio in my car years ago.

I do have Sirius integrated in my car. I forget the brand, I just remember I bought it from logjamelectronics.com for my 540 years ago. I acts like a CD player and each station is a track on the disc. Works pretty well.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
My M5 radio suddenly sounds like the antenna connection is loose (it's not). The stations come in...but poorly. Sound familiar out there?

When you find the answer, let me know. ;)
I had this happen a while back (out of the blue), and I tried searching for answer and finally gave up.

To me it seems like an antenna problem. Which there are couple of possible defective parts that could cause it (From the tuner unit, wiring, antenna booster, the antenna itself). Without the proper diagnose, I hate to do some trial and error and replacing those parts which are not too cheap either. Even the Antenna booster (antenna amp) cost around $80 IIRC.

Regardz,

J Irwan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts