BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, its good to be here, i love the M5 and would love to own one, i was recently looking for a e46 M3 but i go sorta turned off with the harsh ride, and i feel like i want something else since i have a e46 325 now, I have searched but would like you help, please. Can someone guide me to some common problems for the M5, do the doors rattle, like the M3.:confused2, what kind of attention do they need, etc, can you guys please help me with this. Thank you. Im pretty familiar with the maintnace stuff etc.:M5launch::applause:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I never rode in an E46, but I did notice a harsher ride on the M5 compared to my previous car (Nissan Altima). That said, I'm now used to it and love it. It puts me more in contact with the surface of the road.

As for things that often go wrong, just do a search for "preventive maintenance."

Camshaft Position Sensors (CPS)
Mass Air Flow sensors (MAFs)
and O2 sensors are some of the most common things. Keep an eye on these, change your oil, and you should have a nice healthy car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh and also i did look at the FAQ's with the common problems, can you guys give me a list of the problems if possible. tnx

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Depending on the mileage you will want to know about clutch replacement.
A big plus is buying one that comes with alot of service record.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree with Diny above. In addition, things I can think of off the top of my head:

- Secondary air carbon blockage, doesn't affect the performance of the car, but it will keep you from passing SMOG because it will set off the SES light. The SES light can be circumvented using some aftermarket performance software. To get carbon blockage cleaned would be upwards of $8K and wouldn't be worth it since it doesn't affect performance and may come back eventually. (see carbon blockage sticky for more info)
- Window regulator(s) may need to be replaced (common on all e39's)
- Final stage resistor may need to be replaced (common on all e39's)
- Valve cover gaskets may begin to leak (common on all e39 V8's)
- Thrust arm bushings will need to be replaced around 60K (or sooner if you drive on potholed roads frequently - common on all e39's)
- Door seals may begin to creak (common on all e39's)
- Rear door vapor barrier seal replacement (common on all e39's)
- Passenger seat airbag sensor mat (common on all e39's)

The parts for most of these problems is not very expensive and many of them are DIY, except maybe the thrust arm bushings which require a hydraulic press to push out the old ones and push in the new ones and the airbag sensor mat because the seat is a PITA to remove and peal back the leather. Like all BMW's, the labor is where it can get costly, especially for the valve cover gasket and airbag sensor mat because it is so time consuming for replacement of such a cheap part. This being said, you may or may not experience some, all, or none of these issues, but they are common problems. Personally, I've had to replace the final stage resistor, thrust arm bushings (preventative) and passenger seat airbag sensor mat, my door seals sometimes creak (but not too bad), and my valve cover gasket had some minor oil seepage noted during my last Inspection I Service, so I'll probably replace it at my Inspection II Service. I have 104K miles on my car and no major problems yet (knock on wood).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All the thing you said (Almost) are the common things about the e46 too, i guess all BMW's lol, that sucks, my doors creak to, regulators go out to, FCAB's go out too, ahh, How about the doors, do they rattle. I hate it how my e46 has the creaking in the window seals, i have to slightly pull down my window and it goes away, just a lil tap on the button. pisses me off. tnx guys, Any other ones you can point out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far you guys have been helpfull and quick, Thank you all. Unlike the other forums, all they say is search and say nothing. tnx alot.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Hahaha, who would that be.
heres the list:
and last but not least

Honestly the search is a good tool. but not all the time does it address the specific concerns that we have. I too hate the USE SEARCH and disappear responses.:cheers:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hahah, tnx, ya, i actually have been search for about 2 weeks on the board and finally decided to join to ask some questions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey do you guys get any rattling doors, this really ticks me off, and i usally dont listen to music and love to just hear the intake,exhaust on my 3series, so i can hear the rattling at times on harsh roads.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I only hear some rattling on a very specific bass frequency that i get with some songs. Other than that, nothing that bothers me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hey guys, its good to be here, i love the M5 and would love to own one, i was recently looking for a e46 M3 but i go sorta turned off with the harsh ride, and i feel like i want something else since i have a e46 325 now, I have searched but would like you help, please. Can someone guide me to some common problems for the M5, do the doors rattle, like the M3.:confused2, what kind of attention do they need, etc, can you guys please help me with this. Thank you. Im pretty familiar with the maintnace stuff etc.:M5launch::applause:
Honestly, the M5 drivetrain is rock solid, it's the little things that might annoy you - window regulators and other such items that can potentially add up. No doubt it can be an expensive car to own, but really they are one of the greatest production vehicles ever made. Even the tech's and SA's at my BMW dealership drool over my car and never fail to tell me how it's BY FAR their favorite car of any manufacturer. I once asked what they thought of the E60 M5 compared to the E39 M5 and they all said, without a second of hesitation that it was no contest - the E39 M5 is simply a better car.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts