BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't read much about the production methodology of the new M5 other than a few photos of pre-production assembly a few months back.

Can someone explain the production sequence of the M5 ? Are bodies produced on the standard E60 line (or lines) and shipped to a special M-facility for powertrain marriage ? If so, is this M-production a completely manual process? Or, is the powertrain built in a custom M-facility and sent to the E60 facility for powertrain marriage on a standard line and mixed into the E60 production ?

Also, does anyone know the forecasted annual M5 production through the end of the E60 generation ?

I'm a gear-head and just like to know this trivia.:D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hello, all E60 5 Series are made in the Dinglofing factory

M5 are produced on the same line as the normal E60, but are supposed to go to a slightly different post production check section together with "Individual" cars

The M5 engines are made in Munich and sent to Dingolfing for fitment

The paint shop at Dingolfing can paint all colors normal, //M and Individual

·
Registered
430 Posts
SuperBMW said:
Hello, all E60 5 Series are made in the Dinglofing factory

M5 are produced on the same line as the normal E60, but are supposed to go to a slightly different post production check section together with "Individual" cars

The M5 engines are made in Munich and sent to Dingolfing for fitment

The paint shop at Dingolfing can paint all colors normal, //M and Individual
:nono: :confused3 - every M5/6 engine is produced in LANDSHUT

·
Registered
540 Posts
max_m5 said:
:nono: :confused3 - every M5/6 engine is produced in LANDSHUT
No, they are assembled in Munich and some parts like the block are from Landshut

From BMW.com

Munich
Today in Munich, some 11,000 employees from over 50 countries build four-door and compact versions of the 3 Series as well as 6-, 8-, and 12-cylinder internal combustion engines - the high-performance engines found in BMW M vehicles - as well as 8-cylinder diesel engines in Munich plant. Dies and body components are supplied to other BMW locations by the Munich plant.

Landshut
Around 3,300 employees produce engine components from light metals, components for vehicle interiors and exteriors from synthetic materials, as well as shafts and exchange engines

Another article
"By the way, the blocks for the M5 engines are cast at the same place as the Formula 1 engines: at the BMW light alloy foundry in Landshut."

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
SuperBMW said:
Landshut
Around 3,300 employees produce engine components from light metals, components for vehicle interiors and exteriors from synthetic materials, as well as shafts and exchange engines
In that case, I'll just send a nice white van over to Landshut on a dark rainy :2: night for a nicely rebuilt M88, S38B36, S38B38, S14B20, S14B23, S14B25, and well, maybe an alusil M60B40..... My nikasil can't last forever....:hihi:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts