BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had a few problems with the car today so my M5 is sitting in the dealer workshop, while they try to get to the bottom of things.

Today the following happened.

1. In SMG auto mode the car would just rev but would not select a gear when changing from 1 to 2 while pulling away. This left me stranded while attemting to pull onto a roundabout.

2. In SMG Auto mode going up a gentle hill car , stalled while going from 2 to 3rd, it just sort of started hunting for a gear,

3. Dealer then overfilled the car with oil , so they couldn't take it out for a road test, they now have to drain oil out of it.

4. Gear changes in SMG manual mode are also problematic - just not as obvious as in automode.

More update tomorrow when the dealer takes a look.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rather ominiously mine is not the only new M5 in the workshop, there was an Interlagos Blue in, for a serious fault, dealer wouldn't elaborate on what fault exactly.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
There is a new software version (version 19?) being released for the car shortly which should cure most of the SMG glitches. Anyone who knows when exactly this is coming out please tell us.

·
Registered
100 Posts
m_five said:
Could you elaborate on this?
We all would like to hear more on the SMG day to day operations.That seems to be some of the critics main focus.To think we could shift smoother more than defeats its less frequently used power shifting benefits.How about more members personal experiences. Trying not to get cold feet. Crg On the 06 m5 order bubble.Window getting shorter.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I certainly wouldn't go back to a manual. I was wary of SMG, but adjust your driving style slightly and it's a very nice feature.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
I certainly wouldn't go back to a manual. I was wary of SMG, but adjust your driving style slightly and it's a very nice feature.
Even in day to day urban driving? Crg

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Crg said:
Even in day to day urban driving? Crg
ESPECIALLY in day to day urban driving. Not having to use a clutch pedal in stop-go traffic is such a relief :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
test said:
maybe u never owned SMG car before?
I'm not sure I see your point - if I had owned a SMG car how would that improve my current situation

namely it siting there and not selecting a gear in SMG automode.

I have a Tiptronic 911 - which is sort of vaguely related, it of course always selects a gear in auto or man mode :)

Anyway I'm not that bothered its probably a sensor + software issue and if it isn't BMW can figure it out (eventually)

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
marwan said:
i hope this is not a common problem cuz i'm putting a deposite on my 2006 M5 in a few days!

what year is your car?
If it is only a software glitch, it is relatively easy to fix. And you can expect software updates that will probably improve SMG III over time as the engineers get to fine tune over the next year or two of production.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gsfent said:
If it is only a software glitch, it is relatively easy to fix. And you can expect software updates that will probably improve SMG III over time as the engineers get to fine tune over the next year or two of production.
Regards,
Jerry
I'm hoping its a software fix.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will get software release 19 next week. The dealer told me they needed the car for one day, as the downloads to the car take so long... They are upgrading all the components to release 19 (nav, smg...). I just had a problem with my nav, it kept restarting... but as having windows ce automobile edition as a base for the nav this doesn't surprise me ;-)

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
How do we check which software version we have? Is there a service screen that we can access via IDrive that tells us?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts