BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering buying an M5 for months now and am wondering what the current market is like.....preferrably I am looking for an 01' with around 50k miles or might settle for an 00' with less.....is it plausible that I can spend no more the 40k out the door?

·
Registered
754 Posts
eBay has a large offering of M5's.
You might want to track a few through the auction to see what they sell for.
A friend of mine bought a primo 996 Porsche on eBay for aoubt 105 less than he would have paid from a dealer.
If you are very creful, eBay is a great place to buy a car.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I was thinking about selling mine...

But I'm not sure someone will pay me what she's worth...

$120,000.00

·
Registered
865 Posts
VROOM5 said:
I have been considering buying an M5 for months now and am wondering what the current market is like.....preferrably I am looking for an 01' with around 50k miles or might settle for an 00' with less.....is it plausible that I can spend no more the 40k out the door?
I would think you should easily be able to find a clean 01' for around $40k, which is a bargain.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
There are some engine differences in mid 2000 that might cause you to reconsider a 00. There are, of course, plenty of 00s that run great and have no issues, but do a search so you are aware. ("2000 versus 2001" is one, and 2000 vs 2001 is another.)

If out the door includes tax, it might be tight- for a very well pampered car, single owner, maybe consider a few more $$ for the risk reduction factor...

good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
Remember that shopping price for a BMW is the MOST expensive way to buy a one. You want the best maintained car, with service history, warranty if possible, and get a pre-sale inspection. A few thousand spent up front will probably save many thousands down the line.

Don't forget to look at brakes and clutch, if car needs both you are looking at adding another $2,000-2,500.

Good luck.

Peter M
2000 M5
(Not for sale)

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I'd vernture to say that a car with 50k miles AND an extended warranty might be worth 3k, maybe 4k more than one without. Just one visit for a major issue, or 4-5 visits for small crap, will eliminate that differential.

A

PS In keeping with a very old joke- They're all for sale, we're just bickering about the price!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts