BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - I'm embarking on a similar but less detailed M5iT project shortly similar to M5 Jed, and have spoken with him at length about various things to watch out for on this endeavor. The touring will have the entire powertrain including the transmission, diff, driveshaft, axles, cluster, etc. I'm even doing an M5 steering box at the same time.

I'm buying a low mileage S62/trans/diff and all associated parts but want to gather a detailed list of things that are much easier to do when the engines are out of the cars that will save time and labor and maintenance hassles down the road. This will be a daily driven car and one we take on family road trips out west, up north, etc.

So here is my list of things - please let me know if you think something should be added, deleted, changed, etc. I'm hoping our M5board hive mind can help me come up with a thorough and complete list!

Thank you.

New engine mounts?
Fix headlight washer when bumper is off
Figure out exhaust solution when figuring out hitch solution
New radiator
Replace trans seals (input shaft, etc)
Replace power steering reservoir
Short shifter?
Check front and rear control arm bushings and bearings
Replace rear main seal
Replace valve cover gaskets
Replace CPS sensors
Replace fuel filter
Replace any easy to reach bushings (diff, trans, axles, subframes, shifter, etc)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is low mileage?
Outgoing M62: 79K
Incoming S62: 78K

For the engine being 12 years old and the car being 11 years old, I consider that low mileage hiha

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Timing chain/chain guides/tensioner. Do them all.
What is the normal recommendation for servicing of these parts? Approx cost? I don't want to be "cheap" but at the same time I don't want this to turn into a $20k project either.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hi,

*Subscribed* !

I will be watching your progress on this thread or your build thread with interest :)

The much more knowledgeable guys about this sort of thing will help and advise on things to do in order whilst the engine is out !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
Hey all - I'm embarking on a similar but less detailed M5iT project shortly similar to M5 Jed, and have spoken with him at length about various things to watch out for on this endeavor. The touring will have the entire powertrain including the transmission, diff, driveshaft, axles, cluster, etc. I'm even doing an M5 steering box at the same time.

Figure out exhaust solution when figuring out hitch solution
Try to find the factory hitch for the wagon. I think made by Westphalia. Instead of the tow bar sliding in, the factory bar slides UP. This is the best current pic I have. Ball is 2 inches.

Regards,
Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
At the risk of completely side tracking this...Doesn't that ball hitch make everything (accessories) more expensive and complex to procure in the US? Just about everything for sale in the US seemed to be for 1.25 or 2" receivers when I was looking at one of the Westphalia Euro hitches for another German car, and the clamp on ball adapters that I saw weren't exactly confidence inspiring. Also looks like you need to remove the bumper insert.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Excellent project with an end result you'll relish, I'm certain. Applause for deciding to upgrade you steering box, which brings to mind a couple chassis upgrades in keeping with your S62: M5 or Dinan sway bars w/ Beastpower brackets, and M5 or Dinan shocks and springs.

If you're planning on towing, you may want to consider a supplemental oil cooler and replacing your fan with a higher-output electric one. RK offers easily installed examples of both (no affiliation).

I'd also suggest you upgrade your front brakes to something on the order of Stoptech's 4-pots. You'll need them with your 42% increase in HP and torque.

Very best wishes on your journey.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try to find the factory hitch for the wagon. I think made by Westphalia. Instead of the tow bar sliding in, the factory bar slides UP. This is the best current pic I have. Ball is 2 inches.

Regards,
Jerry
Jerry, I'm going to have Bimmerworld try to fab something up for me as a custom job. I have the U-Haul trailer hitch now but it mounts to the spare tire well and seems like it would be a bit weak when pulling > 2000lb loads. I want to be able to tow a solid load (at least 2 big motorcycles on a trailer or relatively heavy load from Home Depot, etc) and I don't think even that factory hitch will do. We'll have to come up with a nice exhaust solution for this beast so at the same time maybe some extra welding will get me a better hitch.

Excellent project with an end result you'll relish, I'm certain. Applause for deciding to upgrade you steering box, which brings to mind a couple chassis upgrades in keeping with your S62: M5 or Dinan sway bars w/ Beastpower brackets, and M5 or Dinan shocks and springs.

If you're planning on towing, you may want to consider a supplemental oil cooler and replacing your fan with a higher-output electric one. RK offers easily installed examples of both (no affiliation).

I'd also suggest you upgrade your front brakes to something on the order of Stoptech's 4-pots. You'll need them with your 42% increase in HP and torque.

Very best wishes on your journey.
Thank you. The reason I'm doing this transplant on MY wagon versus getting a donor wagon instead is that my wagon already has many upgrades. I have a full Dinan Stage 3 suspension and I added Bilstein Sport rear shocks to complement that. Already have Beastpower brackets and full Dinan swaybars. It has M5 front brakes but I have a friend who has StopTech I might ask him about buying ;)

Regarding the oil cooler and fan - those are great ideas and I may consider those - I'll have to do some research - thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Good to be ahead of the curve! Excellent upgrades you've already done, making it an easy choice to stay with the girl you brought to the dance. Previous owner of my 540iT had completely Dinan-ized the car, including S3 suspension and S/C (with a 73-page write-up here on the M5Board even). I added a Getrag conversion to make it close to an M5 wagon, but you're doing it the right way IMHO.

I don't think you need to go with StopTech front brakes, and I wouldn't have suggested them had I known you'd already upgraded to the M5 brakes. I've found them very adequate on my N/A M5.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to be ahead of the curve! Excellent upgrades you've already done, making it an easy choice to stay with the girl you brought to the dance. Previous owner of my 540iT had completely Dinan-ized the car, including S3 suspension and S/C (with a 73-page write-up here on the M5Board even). I added a Getrag conversion to make it close to an M5 wagon, but you're doing it the right way IMHO.

I don't think you need to go with StopTech front brakes, and I wouldn't have suggested them had I known you'd already upgraded to the M5 brakes. I've found them very adequate on my N/A M5.
Thanks. My project was going to be just a 6-speed conversion but I couldn't pass up Adam (Clemster on this board) pricing on the S62 and package with all the associated parts I need, so I am going to just do it. We love the wagon, but this will make it much more fun. A custom hitch setup will really increase its utility as well. Hopefully the labor doesn't get out of hand :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
We'll have to come up with a nice exhaust solution for this beast!
How about side pipes, ala G55, in front of the rear wheels?:lightbulb:

Regards,
Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, Jerry!!!!!!

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
Only if he wants to watch his car go up in flames. Hot exhaust under the gas tank = nono
Don't be such a wuss!:tonquesmilie:

@Redshift
Not sure if anyone has done a workaround with the wagon spare tire well left intact. Interesting to see what other workarounds there are.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
Don't be such a wuss!:tonquesmilie:

@Redshift
Not sure if anyone has done a workaround with the wagon spare tire well left intact. Interesting to see what other workarounds there are.

Regards,
Jerry
Ask and...

it appears. :)

Stoptechs are waiting for ya Brian. ;)

·
Registered
12,922 Posts

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
OK, it looks like the exhaust simply fits. That is great. Now, where does the battery go?
Regards,
Jerry
Well, if you consider "the exhaust" as just a straight pipe off the resonator to a tip... :) I guess the battery is in the stock location for the touring (wherever that is).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts