BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling on the experience of this board with the Cayenne or LandRover Supercharger. There's a lot of experience here and I would like to tap into that if thats ok Gustav. Currently I have the 2005 BMW 4.4 X5 - have enjoyed the car with around 6k miles in just 4 months "but sold it to a guy at work through internal posting and handing over in a weeks time."

I'm buying one of the following possibly this weekend.

1) Cayenne Turbo Tiptronic
2) LandRover Supercharger

Both are around 30% more expensive than X5 but will I get value for money ? So people on this board who either have these cars or experience with them I would appreciate some feedback as I'm taking delivery of either 1 or 2 above depending on feedback.

Regards,
Ghufran.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I have had a Cayenne Turbo and think they are great, especially if they are specced up right. Having said that, I drove a Sport on a test drive and thought that was pretty awesome but rolled a bit too much for me in the corners but in a straight line it was great. If I had the choice, i would take the Sport in a dark colour and also because its a fairly "new" car on the street whereas the Cayenne has been around for awhile.

Or theres the 4.8 X5 which is nice.........

Enjoy the decision!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
cayenne is faster than X5, but the 4.8is is very impressive.
remember that 2006 will be the last year .

best
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
MBrasil said:
cayenne is faster than X5, but the 4.8is is very impressive.
remember that 2006 will be the last year .

best
I agree, X5 4.8iS is the best choice even if it's the oldest of the bunch. Every roadtest I've read gives the X5 the thumbs up. It's much more compact, not that much smaller inside and has better, more pleasant, roadholding than the other two. Although a Cayenne Turbo will be faster on a racetrack. And I agree the biggest X5 will be a classic.
If not X5 go for the Cayenne, especialy if you can opt for the 500hp pack. Range Rover Sport Supercharger is not an option. Not as good on the road as the X5 and not really a Landy anymore because it's too low on its wheels, no matter special suspension. And it's a Discovery in disguise, so why pay all that money for it. If Landy go for the real Range Rover Supercharged. At least you still get quality BMW-feel, not too much plastics in that one.

So top 3:
1. X5 4.8 iS
2. Cayenne Turbo 500hp
3. Range Rover Supercharged.
:1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bart B said:
I agree, X5 4.8iS is the best choice even if it's the oldest of the bunch. Every roadtest I've read gives the X5 the thumbs up. It's much more compact, not that much smaller inside and has better, more pleasant, roadholding than the other two. Although a Cayenne Turbo will be faster on a racetrack. And I agree the biggest X5 will be a classic.
If not X5 go for the Cayenne, especialy if you can opt for the 500hp pack. Range Rover Sport Supercharger is not an option. Not as good on the road as the X5 and not really a Landy anymore because it's too low on its wheels, no matter special suspension. And it's a Discovery in disguise, so why pay all that money for it. If Landy go for the real Range Rover Supercharged. At least you still get quality BMW-feel, not too much plastics in that one.

So top 3:
1. X5 4.8 iS
2. Cayenne Turbo 500hp
3. Range Rover Supercharged.
:1:
I must say the 4.8 does appeal to me. I didn't bother kitting up my 4.4 with bigger wheels or all round privacy glass etc etc as I wanted to make sure I was kitting the right car. Decisions Decisions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
I read an article the other that stated.


The best SUV would have the following characteristics: The looks of the Range Rover Sport, the power of the Cayenne turbo (with performance pack) and the handling of the BMW X5 4.8is.

Up to you to decided what matters most. Anyway all three are great cars.
Enjoy shopping this weekend:byee55amg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
The RRS S/C will perform almost as well on the 'road' as both the Cayenne and X5, BUT will destroy both of them when the weather turns bad. In fact in truly bad weather, the X5 and Cayenne will leave you stranded long before the RRS S/C even notices that it's not sunny outside. The RRS S/C performs off-road almost as well as the 'real' RR, and that's high praise indeed.
Also, the X5 is a very old design, soon to be replaced, and the Cayenne is just ugly. And yes, I do have a RRS S/C on order to replace my '03 RR.
Bish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
I'd say you should get the Cayenne Turbo since it seems like you need a change from a BMW having already owned an X5 4.4. That said, I can also vouch for the 4.8is. I'm loving mine and it is truly a different animal than the 4.4. I was undecided for the longest time since I originally wanted the Cayenne Turbo but after several more test drives it ultimately came down to the 4.8 because of better handling and balance (since it's lighter than a Cayenne), better looks, less boring color palette (I got Imola Red), and with the stock exhaust, the 4.8 just sounds a hell of a lot better making the driving experience that more superior. It just sounds mean at full throttle and you forget you're in an suv. The Range Rover on the other hand is more luxurious, has more utility, but drives like a boat. Depends what's important to you. The Cayenne is the quickest of the bunch and the handling and ride is a compromise between the X5 and the Range Rover. My decision came down to the sportiest driving truck which led to the 4.8.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
766 Posts
thebishman said:
The RRS S/C will perform almost as well on the 'road' as both the Cayenne and X5, BUT will destroy both of them when the weather turns bad. In fact in truly bad weather, the X5 and Cayenne will leave you stranded long before the RRS S/C even notices that it's not sunny outside.
I know it's not an apples to apples but I'm surprised about your statement. We have a 325Xi with all seasons, and the only thing that will stop it is an unplowed road that is so deep that it can't push the snow any further as it piles up in front of the bumper. I once thought I might have to put snows on it but it doesn't need them, at least for the 10 -20" snowfalls we get here.

What's different about the X5?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
I just test drove each last week. My wife is wanting a new car as well and I cant stand the way her Escalade drives. I am hoping she gets the Rover since we have two kids and there is no room at all in the Cayenne. I cant even fit in the back with the front seat pushed all the way forward. The Cayenne looks like too many other SUVS on the road and I prefer the Rover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
I would go for a Touareg v10 TDI. Only 500 units were imported to the USA. I drove one and regret that I didn't buy it. It is just as quick as the Cayenne S and X5-4.4 but, it feels way more powerful, IMO. And lets face it, they are all trucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
BMW_Addiction said:
I would go for a Touareg v10 TDI. Only 500 units were imported to the USA. I drove one and regret that I didn't buy it. It is just as quick as the Cayenne S and X5-4.4 but, it feels way more powerful, IMO. And lets face it, they are all trucks.
Ok the Touareg is a good car, probably the best in this company, and with the V10 diesel its certainly the best off-road when it comes to pulling power, but it's a Volkswagen. The same company that builds the Golf and the Polo. It's like BMW building a X5 and then calling it a Mini. I know that in the US this is less of an issue, you like the Toyota-Lexus right?, but in Europe we like our cars and their heritage. That's why the Phaeton doesn't sell in the old world, the Touareg surprisingly is selling better.
I guess this is going to be a hard weekend for Ghufran. You know what, why not make things a lot crazier. Why not buy a small X5 like a 3.0i and hand it over to Hartge. They build an X5 with V8 M5-engine on special order....Ok probably won't work sinds you need the car soon. But certainly worth a thought.:byebye:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
I read somewhere that the v10 TDi did not pass some emissions tests

some quotes

There is only one drawback to both TDI models, and that applies only if you live in California or the other four states that use California emissions requirements. In those five states, you're out of luck until low-sulfur diesel fuel is available, probably sometime in 2006 or 2007.

When VW ran into emission certification problems with their Touareg diesel earlier in the year, it cast doubts on the viability of an emissions-reduction technique called “urea injection”.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
m5-black said:
I read somewhere that the v10 TDi did not pass some emissions tests

some quotes

There is only one drawback to both TDI models, and that applies only if you live in California or the other four states that use California emissions requirements. In those five states, you're out of luck until low-sulfur diesel fuel is available, probably sometime in 2006 or 2007.

When VW ran into emission certification problems with their Touareg diesel earlier in the year, it cast doubts on the viability of an emissions-reduction technique called “urea injection”.
The V10 TDi was not even imported to the USA in 2005 because of the diesel emission issues in CA, etc. There is a chance that it will be brought back in late 2006 when the low sulphur diesel is mandated by the EPA.
Bish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
masmole said:
I'd say you should get the Cayenne Turbo since it seems like you need a change from a BMW having already owned an X5 4.4. That said, I can also vouch for the 4.8is. I'm loving mine and it is truly a different animal than the 4.4. I was undecided for the longest time since I originally wanted the Cayenne Turbo but after several more test drives it ultimately came down to the 4.8 because of better handling and balance (since it's lighter than a Cayenne), better looks, less boring color palette (I got Imola Red), and with the stock exhaust, the 4.8 just sounds a hell of a lot better making the driving experience that more superior. It just sounds mean at full throttle and you forget you're in an suv. The Range Rover on the other hand is more luxurious, has more utility, but drives like a boat. Depends what's important to you. The Cayenne is the quickest of the bunch and the handling and ride is a compromise between the X5 and the Range Rover. My decision came down to the sportiest driving truck which led to the 4.8.
Whilst one could make the case that the RR handles like a "boat" in comparison to the Cayenne and X5, that is not true at all of the Range Rover Sport, whether it is the HSE with the Dynamic Handling package, or the RRS S/C which has that handling pack as standard. In fact, I think it was CAR in the UK that mentioned in their review of the S/C varient that many 'sports' cars would have a difficult time pulling away from the RRS S/C on a twisting road.
Bish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
thebishman said:
Whilst one could make the case that the RR handles like a "boat" in comparison to the Cayenne and X5, that is not true at all of the Range Rover Sport, whether it is the HSE with the Dynamic Handling package, or the RRS S/C which has that handling pack as standard. In fact, I think it was CAR in the UK that mentioned in their review of the S/C varient that many 'sports' cars would have a difficult time pulling away from the RRS S/C on a twisting road.
Bish
As a RR Owner , I have one problem with them - quality, I've had way too many faults. I would always have that in the back of mind when looking at any new RR model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Ghufran said:
Calling on the experience of this board with the Cayenne or LandRover Supercharger. There's a lot of experience here and I would like to tap into that if thats ok Gustav. Currently I have the 2005 BMW 4.4 X5 - have enjoyed the car with around 6k miles in just 4 months "but sold it to a guy at work through internal posting and handing over in a weeks time."

I'm buying one of the following possibly this weekend.

1) Cayenne Turbo Tiptronic
2) LandRover Supercharger

Both are around 30% more expensive than X5 but will I get value for money ? So people on this board who either have these cars or experience with them I would appreciate some feedback as I'm taking delivery of either 1 or 2 above depending on feedback.
ards,




Hey,

I have just sold my old M5, take delivery of my new M5 next month (581364), and just traded in my old Range Rover 2003 for new 2006 Range Rover Supercharged. New RR SC is very fast, very smooth, extremely well put together, with nicer interior than BMW. New Nav system also better than BMW. It is a big vehicle, and heavy, and does not drive with the agility of the Cayenne or the X5 both of which I have driven a fair amount. I have not driven the RR Sport, I like the way it looks though. The RR SC is much better put together than the sport, which really is an LR3 underneath. I have been impressed that the RR we have had for 65,000 miles had very few problems and held up extremely well, also a great tow vehicle. For us, we like the size and smooth ride of the RR SC, and it is the best handling FULL SIZE SUV in my opinion. Cayenne and X5 both mid-size. I do like that RR seemed to keep all the good parts from BMW and enhanced the weak points in the new RR SC. We really like it a lot, besides have the new M5 to carve up road!

Good luck with your decision, no wrong choice there!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Ghufran, couple of things to keep in mind. The Cayenne WILL get a facelift in April of 2006 and it will be a good one.:biggrin: More power for the TURBO (approx
500-520) and better looking front and rear ends.

After driving all these contenders these are my thoughts.....

The Range Rover supercharged is a great vehicle if you want the ultimate in
Luxury with decent power and handling and awesome street cred.

The Range Rover Sport Supercharged has better handling and feel than its
big brother- it is very nimble and ride quality is superb (compared to Cayenne
or X5 4.8). It does not quite have the luxury though, but manages to keep
the street cred of the Range Rover.

Sooooo.............
If you want ultimate speed and driving thrills the Cayenne Turbo(April 06)is it.
If you want more luxury and bling factor go for the Range Rover.
If you want a decent amount of both AND great ride quality AND the bling factor than the Supercharged Sport is for you.
If you want both and don't care about ride quality than wait for the 2007
X5 4.8i or later for an "M" version............:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have had an over-welming response - Thank You to all who provided very valuable feedback. I expected this type of response from this established
forum unlike some of the responses you get from MB World.

So its a difficult choice. I am kitted up for tomorrow to check out both
the RangeRover and Cayenne Turbo. Its going to be a sunny day here
in the UK on Saturday and will turn up to both showrooms in my E60 M5
so they know my money is good.

Ultimatly its down to my test drive and a quick reference to my print out of your responses. Lets see how I get on. Watch this space.

Regards,
Ghuf.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top