BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M5 or Z8????? confused!!! please help!!!!!

ok, so i just got back Peterpan BMW in san mateo, ca i went there to test drive the Z8. oh man, i knew i would do this to myself. i recently have been really bothered about the new M5 having a lot more power and the new M3 taking over the current M5 engine. its making the E39 M5 kinda obsolete in about a year. so i figured lets keep the M5 engine and everything that i love about the beast and put it on a more attractive body and their you have it, the perfect car. so naturally i thought of the Z8 as a replacement for the beast. see i figure it's still the beast underneath all the sexiness and class. the Z8 is a keeper, they are so rare. and they have the status of an exotic car like the lambo. or ferrari etc. so the Z8 has more torque and you can really feel it and when you step on it, it feels like you were driving a Porsche turbo. i have owned a turbo before so i can tell you first hand that Z8 is definetly a more spotier car. i love the way you can rest your arm and have the shifter in your hand and slam it down when you want, instead of reaching for it. anyways so i sold myself the Z8, and now i am really confused. you have to understand that i have wanting to do a lot of upgrades to my beast since i got but was never sure if i was going to keep it long enough to enjoy or get enough use out of it. since the Z8 has a shorter body which means more torque and horsies, i am thinking that i can do the upgrades on that. all the parts are the same and most the upgrades are the same. like i said it's an M5 with a more attractive body. please wise board members what do i do?
keep in mind i don't have a family and i have a 2001 X5 for everyday driving. i almost bought a 760LI a week ago, because i wanted something more luxury than the beast. but after test driving it and further consideration the money could be better spend on other brands. please help.

emperor

:confused2 hmmm :crying: :eek:oohhh: :sad2: ??????

:viking: "stanna sann stanna viking"
"bli avrette bli viking"
"harus totta harus viikinki"

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Re: M5 or Z8????? confused!!! please help!!!!!

Emporer,

The z8 is almost a cult classic by now. It definitely has all the right DNAs. Inspired by the awesome 507, and with the E39 engine/transmission, it's an awesome car in stock form.

A few recommendations to transform a z8:
Change suspension.
Change OEM run-flat tires .
Call Discover Auto. Bill (Shadowman) first supercharged his own z8 BEFORE he adopts that to Abdullah's and Rob's M5s. Bill can give you 800 HP (or more) in your z8. With that, you'd never need anything else for a sporty ride.

Enjoy your z8 in good health.

CP

·
Registered
5,353 Posts

One of the greatest strengths of the M5 is the fact you can use it daily and it's quite useful for carrying people and cargo. Yet, you can feel the power and the handling is awesome. So if you use your M5 as a daily driver, what a daily driver!

But if you find yourself using your X5 most of the time, and only enjoying the M5 occasionally, then why not have a true "toy" of sorts in the Z8, which you can just drive for pleasure. There is nothing quite like the open air experience IMHO, which is why I now have (thanks to my wonderful wife) a mini-beast convertible M3 as a compliment to my M5. Yes, the M3 is a bit big to be a true toy, but even when I play I need to haul my kids around so I need the extra seats. But since you're single, heck, why not just two seats and 400 bhp?

BTW, I'm not so sure I'd consider the e39 M5 "obsoleted" by the new one, or the next generation M3. I still am not sold on SMG; I read about too many glitches in SMG-equipped M3s, and I'll bet both new cars will have only SMG for some time. Maybe they will never come with traditional manual transmissions. 0-60 in under 5 seconds is still pretty awesome when we're still so speed limited in the U.S., and I don't see those limits changing. The e60 will give us another choice, but it won't be the "same" or a "replacement" for the e39 in my view (and I don't want to spend 100 Large for a new e60 that I don't even care to look at). Just my views of course.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

Don't forget to remove your CDV (Clutch delay valve).. It does not belong on a sports car like the Z8..

Good luck with it!!

·
Registered
5,078 Posts

You stated that you have the X5 for daily driving, so I would go for the Z8. If you did not have the X5 then I would say go for the M5. I'm sure you will be happy with either car.:)

Happy Motoring:flag:

·
Registered
117 Posts

I agree that the E39 M5 is not going to ever be obsolete. Though I've never owned one for the exact reason that you are describing, I have always loved that car dearly. Funny enough, I also have an X5 4.4 as my daily driver. I almost got the M5 when it came out instead of ordering the Z8. I'm glad that I waited for the Z8, but will proabably always keep the M5 on my top 10 favorite car list. The new one is just ugly IMO, but the E39 is a classic. I do know that the Service Manager at Peter Pan is awesome. He helped me out when I was having transmission problems with the 8 and the dealership in Colorado Springs wasn't willing to do anything about it. Oh yeah, if you do get a Z8 do make sure to take out the CDV. It's a totally different experience. Good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
770 Posts

Emperor

I have to admit I am a little biased to the Z8 it’s truly an awesome ride. We have done just as many Z8’s as M5s so if you do decide to pick her up we would be glad to point you in the right mod direction.

Not to mention your not to far away from Shadowmans Area 51 shop.

Good luck with your decision

Sean
Discovery-Automotive

·
Registered
50 Posts

i would go for a Z8. they look nice and i think it would be a nice change from when you get out of your daily drive and into your Z8. the x5 basically handles like a big saloon anyway, and that is what a m5 is..a saloon/sedan (in america). it would be like buying the same car but with more power, in effect. buy a Z8. i liked these cars, but literally no - one brought them in the uk, as they were extremely over priced. So for my advise, go for the Z8

·
Registered
204 Posts

I LOVE Z8's wish I could find one. On that alone, if you see one, buy it! I think 25 years from now, the Z8 will still be bringing in top $$

·
Registered
158 Posts

ttboyvanc said:
I LOVE Z8's wish I could find one. On that alone, if you see one, buy it! I think 25 years from now, the Z8 will still be bringing in top $$
I disagree. They will continue to depreciate for some time yet. They made alot of Z8's, so for the next twenty five years it is a used car, though an awfully nice used car.

Disagree, check out how much a Testarossa goes for today. Thus buy a Z8 and enjoy it to the fullest, just don't invest in it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

What are the technical differences between the M5 and Z8? i don't think their is any but i am not an expert.

emperor:viking:

·
Registered
947 Posts

gumball said:
i liked these cars, but literally no - one brought them in the uk, as they were extremely over priced. So for my advise, go for the Z8

and left hand drive only :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts

I only have a few minutes to write this right now, but let me say that you will not find a bigger Z8 nut than I. I love the car. Its fantastic. That said I have experience with it and a few other comprable cars. Let me tell you my thoughts. But first, let me say the new M3 does not get the M5/Z8 engine- from the mags- they say it gets a v8 derrived from the new M5's v10.

Now on to the Z8.

The M5 is a far better daily driving prospect because many people complain about the manual boot cover. You must use it- if you do not, the wind buffeting will wear out the top fairly quickly. I find this to be inconsequencial so its no big deal to me, but you might be bothered.

Also, the Z8 has a lot of wind in the cockpit- over a long top down trip you can get worn out- literally. The wind blocker does a little to help. Again, this does not bother me, but it does bother some.

Frankly, forgetting the question of affordability, if you are smitten by the Z8 bug, I think you should get it. I mean, just look at it:

Ive had mine for nearly 5 years now and its still my favorite to drive.

As for mods:
1- Get rid of the clutch delay valve- very annoying for shifting. The M5 does not have it, but the Z8 does. See here:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm

2- replace run flats with pilot sports or other sporty tire- unless you truly need the run flat capability.

3- swap out the OEM open differential with a Quaife LSD with a 8% higher ratio. See here:
http://www.koalamotorsport.com/
The OEM diff is 3.38 and the Quaife from Brett Anderson over at Koala is 3.64. 8% more power to the rear! :)

4- Eisenmann race exhaust- make her sound like she should! See here:
http://www.eisenhaus.com/ehprice.php?selSub=131&selPerf=3&selTip=247#1.0#2round.gif&Submit.x=34&Submit.y=4&Submit=Submit

5- Dinan anti-roll bars. These are adjustable and will allow you to dial out a little bit of the understeer.

All this said, let me say that I dont think the Z8 is really a convertible M5- its truly its own car. Those that have issues with it fault its being too hard to be a comfy GT and too soft to be a white knuckle sports car. I think the SL55 AMG is more like a convertible M5. Heavy and insulating and comfortble and easy to live with daily and can definately put the power down (although it also has an open diff! :crying: )

The Z8 is really something else, its for a limited audience. Its an escape. Its unique. Its singular.

IMHO its the best therapy you could ever get (well maybe almost the best :p ).

You can see more of my Z8 pics (and others too) at:
http://homepage.mac.com/z8mania

if you have specific questions ask them here or by email. I will have more time tomorrow. my email is:
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,469 Posts

Jerry,

Excellent comments. As I'm not much of a 'top-down' guy, if I owned a z8, I'd drive it with the hard-top on 90% of the time. Kind of a waste.

I'm particularly apprehensive about the soft top, especially with age. They can be troublesome, needing periodic replacements (I like clean, easy fixes, but that costs a bit). If the z8 has the SL's'/SLK's roof, I'd own one in a heart beat. But that's just me. Hmmm... I wonder if there are companies who can do an one-off electric roof for the z8, now that MB/Lexus has blazed the trail on the design part? It's only money, right?

The z8 is an abolutely top-notch car. It has class, pedigree, performance, fun, and pizzaz. It definitely is a keeper.

CP

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts

Pong,
What many in your nice weather state of CA and even I do here in the nice weather months (the only time I really drive Moneypenny) is to get a real tonneau cover, like this one:

You leave the top down with the boot cover on and use this as protection. Time to install/ take off is about 1 minute once you get the hang of it. It provides about the same protection from bad guys with knives as the soft top does and you dont have to worry about any wear and tear on the soft top and its mechanism. I only park the Z8 where I feel confident it is safe. If I were parking it somewhere I was unsure about I would probably not even take it or I would use the actual soft top.

While the hardtop works well, its really not suited to the car.

You can get this here:
http://64.225.94.154/ShopSite/page42.html

btw,
EMPEROR,
With the Z8 you should get:
* Hardtop with cover & stand with wheels
* Phone (cpt 7000 for 2000 models; cpt 8000 for 2001+)
* Book about the Z8
* Boot cover & its case
* windblocker & its case

No need for them to throw in hot women, they will find you! :thumbsup:

OK, J/K! hiha - actually I am sure it could be used in this manner, I prefer to use the Z8 for other endeavors. :M5launch:

·
Registered
3,469 Posts

Jerry,

I have Rosacea, and my wife is very concerned about skin cancer. Thus I'm not big into driving with sun in my face, and sun-block all over my body and seats. I had a soft-top before and 'bad guys with knives' butcheded it in SF and rip off eveything in the interior (I was much younger and less vigilent then). These are the reasons I'll probably never own a soft-top car again, especially an expensive one. I think the SL/SLK roof is my answer. Even with the electric hard top, I think my open-air motoring will probably be limited to sunset hours, very warm evenings, or slow drives around Carmel, etc.

CP

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts

Pong,
Those are all good reasons- I hope this does not cause you too much trouble. If you like open air motoring, then yes, you are limited to the dusk/ night hours and I think the SL55 would fit the bill nicely- but as we've discussed in the past, its not a hard edged sports car- you are in the clear on that though with the Ruf. If you ever wanted to get one, I would suggest just using the soft top during the sun hours. Or- some people have installed lifts for their hard tops. One fellow lives in Texas, and it gets so hot there in the summer that he uses the hard top. He says with the lift its a fairly easy process to put the hard top on or off.

Back to the topic here- the Z8 is a great car and, I wanted to add before, I think we are at the bottom or perhaps coming off the bottom in pricing.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

I was just talking to one of my friends last night about the fact that my father passed on a Z8 when his name came up on the list, and I'm still wishing he would have come through on it.. I already had it spec'ed in my head and he was like, "ah, I don't really need it." DOH!
My vote is for the Z8.. all the way. Especially since you have an X5 already. I saw a silver one parked in West Palm back in December and I just stared and gawked at it for a few minutes..

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

So, i am still debating this issue. can you guys and gals help me put together a pro and con comparison between the M5 and the Z8.

M5
PRO: CON:
4 doors looks like the rest of 5-series
comfortable 4 doors
like the interior layout
classy - soft spoken

Z8
PRO: CON:
looks kool the tops makes noise
2 seater no room for stuff
more torque value of car unstable
feels more powerfull