·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to pick one which would it be and please explain why.....:confused2

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
It would be the E60 M5. The M6 looks to be one heck of a car, but the ease of 4 doors does it for me. The M6 will outperform the M5, but both are so quick a few tenths doesnt matter to me. Being able to take a lot of people around in comfort is key. I would hate to be dreesed nice and then have to climb over front seats to get into the back.
:cheers:

·
Registered
904 Posts
"I would hate to be dreesed nice and then have to climb over front seats to get into the back."

The back seats of the 645/650/M6 are really nothing more than a nicely upholstered storage area. I'm 5'10" short and with the drivers seat positioned comfortably, there is about 4" to 6" between the back of the drivers seat and the leading edge of the rear seat. ??????

If you need a 4 seater the M6 ain't it!

M6 all the way for me.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The M5 offers space for 4-5 adults, it is 20.000,-- € cheaper and will be released 6 months prior to the M6 in the USA. The M6 is faster (especially in corners but also in straight lines), its interior looks more fine quality, the whole 6 series is more exclusive. Both cars offer a lot of space for baggage, and ride comfort is exceptional compared to pure sport cars. I go for the M6.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BD 997 said:
If you had to pick one which would it be and please explain why.....:confused2
Hi,
Having test driven the M6 (alone...) and finally bought the M5, I can tell you that the difference between both cars is minimal. The biggest is the sonority. The M6 starts much more aggressive than the M5. The power delivery is the same, as the general feeling. For me the M5 is the best choice, considering that and the price difference between the two cars is too important and not really justified if not by production costs.

For sure if you want a coupe, comparing to the 997 S which I drove two times, you get on the M6 more space for kids, less noise, quite more power and torque and more interior space. In this case I would consider the M6.

In both cars the best feature is the motor (V10 running over 8000 rpm)/SMG gearbox: This combination is unique: After having driven one of this cars you will feel like :D .

Greetings from switzerland!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Antonio64 said:
Hi,
Having test driven the M6 (alone...) and finally bought the M5, I can tell you that the difference between both cars is minimal. Greetings from switzerland!
Your statement stands in sharp opposition to what most magazines say! Did you really push both cars, or did you only cruise with them?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
Your statement stands in sharp opposition to what most magazines say! Did you really push both cars, or did you only cruise with them?
Hi,

I could't notice a difference driving on backroads at speeds between 60 and 150 km/h (M6). I pushed the M6 quite hard, using the sharpest tools (M 500 SPORT with DCS disabled) too. Anyway I cannot say I reached the limits of the car. I think it will be difficult to find the limits of both cars on a public road...

With my M5 I drove on the same way, the main difference I noticed was really the exhaust note. More aggressive and finally fascinating on the M6.

There will be probably some other differences due to the fact that the M5 is a bit heavier, but this is hard to notice on a real drive. Probably you can notice this on a stright line, but believe me, on a backroad it is the driver that makes the difference.

I think that also an M6 would need at least 550-570 bhp to feel different from a M5.

Codriving rally cars and as an ex-owner of a Lancer Evolution VI RS (330 Bhp/4WD/1260 kg) I can tell you that both cars are a very serious piece of technology and probably the best choice for quite a long time.

PS: It is curious that there is no comparison test between M5 and M6 till now...

Best regards, A.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Antonio64: very interesting post, thanks for that. You are one of the few that have driven the M5 and the M6. Thanks for sharing that.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I expect the driving experience to be a wash for both,because of the exterior styling and especially the interior I would pick the M6 in a heartbeat.
I will take the M5 ,however,because I can get it this Fall,unlike the M6 that I would have to wait for God knows how long.(would be at the bottom of the list)

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
M6 will be in showrooms in the USA sometime in October.... same time as the M5....so I been told.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
Most magazines compared, rather than contrasted, the performance of the M5 and M6. I don't think that whatever slight performance advantage the M6 may have will be the determining factor in many people's choice. Rather, people will choose based on design, interior space, price, perceived exclusivity, etc.

For me, a two-door is not an option with three children. Although we don't know what the price difference will be in the US, the price is yet another factor in the M5's favor. A recent review of the M6 (I forget in which magazine) concluded that the excellence of the M6 showed just what a good deal the M5 is since the two cars share the vast majority of the components that matter most to performance.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
BD 997 said:
M6 will be in showrooms in the USA sometime in October.... same time as the M5....so I been told.
Very unlikely. Most estimates have the M6 approximately six months behind the M5. We will be lucky to see the M5 in the US in October.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would choose the M6 because of its muscular looks and because its a coupe. I already have a performance sedan and as temptinga as the new M5 is, I dont need another one.
A minus point for the M5 is its lack of image in comparison to the M5.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
This was a very tough decision for me. When M6 first came out, I saw a car that did everything just a little bit better than the M5, except carry people and luggage. I figured the price would be about $20,000 more, and I really preferred the exterior and interior styling.

However, I'm sticking with the M5. After reading the reviews, and thinking about how I would use the car, I won't notice much of a performance difference. I have to say, I was very disappointed that with a carbon fiber roof, forged alloy wheels, a microscopic back seat, and a small trunk, the weight savings was only 45 kg. If we were talking 100 to 150 kg, then I might be reconsidering the M6.

My other consideration was more personal preference. I liked the idea of having a sedan that looks almost exactly like the car I'm driving now, that can outperform most sports cars. I really don't like the idea of driving around in a flashy sports car and all the attention it attracts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wolverine said:
My other consideration was more personal preference. I liked the idea of having a sedan that looks almost exactly like the car I'm driving now, that can outperform most sports cars. I really don't like the idea of driving around in a flashy sports car and all the attention it attracts.
I have to agree.

My personal choice would be the M5.

If I wanted a high performance coupe or GT, I think I'd rather get a Porsche 997 S or maybe an AM Vantage.

But with the M5, there aren't too many cars on the road that are both sedan and high performance. Maybe the RS6, but it's got a slush box. And the AMG creations from MB (either the E55 or CLS55) lack the visceral handling capabilities of the M5.

The M5 is like that beautiful model that can also cook and clean. ;)

·
Registered
559 Posts
The M5 is, in some ways, more special than the M6. How many four door sedans can boast of performance approaching the M5's performance? Not very many. How many two door coupes can boast of performance approaching the M6's peformance? Quite a few.

I have nothing against 2 door coupes (I love driving my M3), but I do think that the M5 is a more unusual beast.

Best regards,

·
Registered
816 Posts
I originally wanted to get the 645Ci, as I was searching for a stylish large coupe with impeccable driving and handling. Then the M6 rumours were confirmed, and while I thought get the 645Ci first and then trade to the M6, I was too lazy to go through all that. So the M6 was it. I never thought about the 5 series sedan anyway.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
MRichmond said:
Very unlikely. Most estimates have the M6 approximately six months behind the M5. We will be lucky to see the M5 in the US in October.
Add in that latest reports have the actual M5s arriving in November or December....

As for the question at hand... M5. Wife and I discussed the M6 just last week, she gave me 100% of the choice, but I am sticking with the M5. I just don't think that the little bit of performance improvement is going to justify the cost, and the added pain of dealing with two kids, luggage, etc. on a 2 door with minimal rear seat room.

·
Registered
213 Posts
M5, because I usually drive with a full car - in an M6 I don't think there'd enough room for a family to cope, especially with luggage and the like.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts