BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

M5 or M6? Putting Deposit down This Weekend!

What do you guys think? Also, will there ever be a conv. M6?

Thanks for the input guys...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well the M6 looks almost too plain/sedate/ordinary from some of the pictures that I have seen. With that much horsepower, and for the price commanded, both the M5 and M6 have to stup up to the plate.

I test drove the Mercedes offerings (Including the SL55 AMG) and they have some very cool/high-tech things going on. I do not want an automatic though, and I can tell you, MY M5 is FAR superior to those cars in terms of handling and high speed 100 mph - 140 mph (Not that anyone should drive this fast and I am officially stating that I do not condone this :hihi: ) When you are going that speed around banked corners, it is black and white.

Anyway, anymore feedback on the new M5 vs. M6 would be great, Thanks...

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Well, do you have a wife and kids? That part alone made the decision for me.

Sure, the 6 will probably be a tad bit faster in all areas (acceleration, corning, etc).. but with two kids.. gotta have the 2nd doors. I have and continue to play the 2 doors, 4 people game with one of my cars and that gets old FAST. If was just me and the wife.. I'd probably go for an M6 cab.. although, don't know if I could wait that long!

One other thing, I for one find it really cool to blow the doors off the vast majority of cars (including many sports cars) in a SEDAN!

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you need 4 doors, then the choice is obviously the M5. If you want the more attractive car (with better performance, a higher price tag, and a longer wait), then the choice, in my humble opinion, is the M6. Have fun!

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you want the more "attractive car" and want 2 seats buy a 911 TT. The new 6er is NOT "attractive". I went to the auto show TWICE in Detroit to see it. The second time because I thought I mayn have over reacted to the style which everyone said in the magazines is better in person. It isn't. It's worse. The pictures do the exterior justice (whatever that means) but the interior in person is a big disappointment. The only car that now has an interior more plain than a 911. What an honor not to have. Loyalty only goes so far. I went home after my second hard look shaking my head and driving to the dealer to retrieve my $1,000 deposit. :grrrrr: :grrrrr:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well first of all, I do have a 996TT (Just got), so I can suffer until the M6 would come out (And yes the Porches are very plian inside, but FAST.

I figured that the "M" cars would have a nicer interior than their standard bretheren. My M5 has the Silverstone interior with gray dials/aluminum-- which is a lot nicer that a standard 5.

By the way, I traded in my long-term girlfriend (7 years) for a new model-- she was too high maintenance-- If I wanted that I would buy a Ferarri :byebye:

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
:7:
By the way, I traded in my long-term girlfriend (7 years) for a new model-- she was too high maintenance-- If I wanted that I would buy a Ferarri :byebye:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
do you need the 4 doors?

unless you do, I think the 6 makes the best case for the new design themes. Also it will be a little more nimble feeling due to the shorter wheelbase and will probably be tuned a little more sporty.

I also think less 6s will be made, and I dont know if the E60 M5 will compare well with the E39 M5 and I think those things might hurt longer term E60 M5 values.

If I were going to pull the trigger on either one, Id get a M6 cabrio with SMG.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Why not both?

For my $1000 fee, I got on BOTH M5 & M6 lists, then I can decide when the M5 comes out or get the M5 and leave my deposit on the M6 list and trade up! Who knows what you'll like in a year?

·
Registered
675 Posts
similar scenario for myself,depends on the age of the kids though,the 6 series is far more practical than the 996 tt which my kids are just growing out of..( ****,**** ****)
I had a deposit on the m5 but changed it to the m6 when i saw the 5 series.Interestingly the delaer had no other deposits for the m5,but plenty for the m6 so I know which car will be more sought after here (coupes always retain far more money in the uk than saloons for some reason).
The 6 will probably have an edge in terms of speed,accelration and handling but how much of an edge would be hard to predict.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts