BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people, newbie here :)

Anyways, I bought a brand new E46 M3 in April this year, my first ever brand new BMW. Have always been a performance maniac and owned several fast cars before it. My first BMW was a 330i.

I have an E60 M5 on order, Interlagos blue with black, and a few extras. this one should arrive in October/November this year. already specced & deposit paid.

I also have an order on an M6. Not specced yet as BMW South Africa dont have the specs or pricing available yet. It should arrive sometime next year. i am thinking about getting the Individual package, depending on what the cost will be (any ideas??)
I have already made up my mind on the colour combination:

Individual Composition 2

Ruby Black Metallic

Individual Full Merino Leather Gold Brown (without Leather Covered Instrument panel)

Black Piano Trim

Now for my biggest dilemma. The M3 will stay on as my daily driver. If I keep the M5 that is. To be honest, i dont need a 4-door sedan, as I am single and dont have a family. I really don't like the E60 too much either, but I am yet to see one in the colour I have specced in person. i have seen a silver one here but didnt like the colour.

I can buy it and sell it at a hefty premium as we will only get 60 per year allocated to SA (probably the same if not less in case of the M6!)

If on the other hand I decide to keep the M6 & sell the M5, the M3 will have to go and I will have to buy a smaller daily car.

decisions decisions!!:rolleyes: :crying2: hmmm :blink:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yea M6 is just a little bit better than an M5, since they both have the same engine, but one is a coupe, and one is a four door sedan,

Plus, the carbon fibre roof of the M6 puts is a very nice touch that it has, but M5 doesn't! Either way it is : :M5launch: and lots of
and :haha:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
If you don't need the space and you can afford it go for the M6 :M5thumbs:

I like your colour choice as well. Welcome aboard :byee55amg

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Between the M3 and the M5 you have right now which is your favorite and why. These answers will help me in assisting you. Btw- you are a true M Enthusiast too! :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MEnthusiast said:
Between the M3 and the M5 you have right now which is your favorite and why. These answers will help me in assisting you. Btw- you are a true M Enthusiast too! :D
Thanks mate. I only have the M3 right now, M5 order is coming in October/November. the M3 is my first M-car and I love it, but would love a bit more power as my previous cars were a bit faster ;)

I wanted to buy an E39 M5, hell I loved those cars, but it felt a bit intimidating and big to drive. Didnt think it was the best first M-car to own, and I couldnt get a new one as they were already out of production, didnt feel like going for second hand either, as most have fallen in the wrong hands to start off with (same problem with them M3's here :( )

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Ahh- I misunderstood. In that case I think the only question aside from styling, etc is whether you will like the SMG or not. I do not know if your M3 is a stick shift and if it is you need to decide how big a factor the stick shift is in your enjoyment of the vehicle.

My suggestion without knowing this is to get the M6 and then get something for foul weather. The M6 would be a great fun car and also great daily driver for nice weather. I do not know how the weather is where you live but Im thinking of maybe a Subaru or something with awd for the bad weather. How about a pre-owned X5? Or new X3? One thing I've always appreciated about BMWs, no matter what your opinion on the various items they have, they are always safe. Why should the daily/ foul weather car be less safe?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MEnthusiast said:
Ahh- I misunderstood. In that case I think the only question aside from styling, etc is whether you will like the SMG or not. I do not know if your M3 is a stick shift and if it is you need to decide how big a factor the stick shift is in your enjoyment of the vehicle.

My suggestion without knowing this is to get the M6 and then get something for foul weather. The M6 would be a great fun car and also great daily driver for nice weather. I do not know how the weather is where you live but Im thinking of maybe a Subaru or something with awd for the bad weather. How about a pre-owned X5? Or new X3? One thing I've always appreciated about BMWs, no matter what your opinion on the various items they have, they are always safe. Why should the daily/ foul weather car be less safe?
Thanks mate. M3 is a manual. I already have a 4X4 vehicle. I dont need the M5 or M6 as a practical car, i already have an everyday car, so it will be a 'weekend toy"

My dilemma is to choose between the M5 and the M6, but at the moment the M6 seems more attractive. If i keep the M5, the M3 can stay, the M3 has to go if I settle on the latter.

I have driven many SMG equipped M3's and I hated the way it works. But then I have been told that the latest SMG is much better. I detest everything that doesnt have a shift stick & clutch pedal, call me old fashioned ;) . Problem is neither the M5 nor the M6 will be available in manual here, hnece I havent made the SMG a big issue, will just have to learn to live with it I guess.

PS weather is great, the condition of the roads is the biggest problem!.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Then my advice is to get the M5 and see what you think. Keep your spot for the M6. If you are turned off by the SMG, you still have your M3 and you can probably sell the M5 for good money. If you love the SMG and want the M6 you can probably sell the M5 for good money- and youd have the experience of driving the V10 for longer.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MEnthusiast said:
Then my advice is to get the M5 and see what you think. Keep your spot for the M6. If you are turned off by the SMG, you still have your M3 and you can probably sell the M5 for good money. If you love the SMG and want the M6 you can probably sell the M5 for good money- and youd have the experience of driving the V10 for longer.
Spot on! thats exactly what I am going to do :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah the love/hate SMG bit changes alot. With the current M5 waiting list you can drive the M5 for a year and not lose a cent ouich

So there is no risk Pitzi, I agree with you and MEnthusiast. By the way, apart from the M3, what does the rest of your garage look like?

PS "Ek wil foto's hê nè"

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
SMG takes time to get used to (2,000 miles plus), and the gearbox takes time to run in too. Think back to the days when you first learned to drive a stick, and it took a while to get used to it, certainly if you double declutch on down-shifts. Simply feathering the throttle slightly before you tug on the paddle for an up-shift makes it so much smoother, and I'm sure reduces wear and tear on the differential. The throttle blip on a downshift will make you smile everytime you hear it.

I'm a big fan of SMG (the M version) having owned 3 cars with it fitted, forget the auto mode, and spend some time figuring out exactly how much and when to feather the throttle and you won't look back. You'll have more time to look ahead for potential hazards on the road, and be able to concentrate more on braking points and turn in. I wouldn't have another manual car (except maybe a Radical S4).

Tim

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SoulBladeZA said:
By the way, apart from the M3, what does the rest of your garage look like?

PS "Ek wil foto's hê nè"

:cheers:
Hello mate, you sound lika a fellow saf Effrican :haha2:

Sorry for the late reply, been away for a while. Well the rest of my garage is not too exciting right now.

a 2004 Ford Ranger 2500TDi which is my everyday vehicle:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/scoobymaniac/Ranger2.jpg

Here are some of my previous cars though:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/scoobymaniac/Hillclimb20031.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/scoobymaniac/330i3.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/scoobymaniac/STi61.jpg

Has anyone tried this with their M??mmmmmm
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/scoobymaniac/M3speedo1.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.