BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M5 on Top Gear next sunday

Clarkson will the drive the M5 next sunday on top gear. He will say that its better than the F430 which he really liked. On BBC2 @ 8pm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

bluebmw said:
Clarkson will the drive the M5 next sunday on top gear. He will say that its better than the F430 which he really liked. On BBC2 @ 8pm.
but probably not before he made his usual complain on iDrive and BMW's styling.
:hihi:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

But complaining about iDrive and Bangle styling is getting so old now. Other upper-end carmakers are offering their versions of iDrive and most people are warming up to the new BMW styling. Again, that stuff is so old and so very boring. What is new, however, is a spectacular car with new technology that breaks ground in a number of areas. That is what should be discussed.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

The M5 should be the fastest 4-door around the Top Gear track. Being much faster than the AMG CLS. Could it beat the time of the F430? Should come close.

Mr. Clarckson was very positive about the M5 in his column in the Sunday Times.

Maybe Jeremy will need a poll to decide what to replace his Ford GT with now he has driven both cars. An F430 or an M5?

I would vote for the M5 any day. Unless he has room for two cars?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

Bart B said:
The M5 should be the fastest 4-door around the Top Gear track. Being much faster than the AMG CLS. Could it beat the time of the F430? Should come close.

Mr. Clarckson was very positive about the M5 in his column in the Sunday Times.

Maybe Jeremy will need a poll to decide what to replace his Ford GT with now he has driven both cars. An F430 or an M5?

I would vote for the M5 any day. Unless he has room for two cars?

From reading Clarkson's earlier comments on M5's he has always had a preference / soft spot for them.

Looks as though it will be the same with the E60.


BTW, Driven reviewed it (channel 5 programme a week or so back)
and described it as immense.

Personally I think the styling is a love hate thing and for me, the 7 series gets away with it in a way the 5 doesn't. Shaping up to be a great car nontheless.

Will be great to also see how it competes against the M3 CSL on Pilot Cups at the track. Another car clarkson said was slightly bonkers with a cardboard boot and a flappppy paddle gear shift YET loved. For the US audience he really hates them unless they are perfect.


Best
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

Anyone know when this will air in the US?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

To beat the time CLS 55 had is going to be difficult. I'm surprised by the laptime the car achieved.

Ferrari F430 coupe 1.22.9
Murcielago 1.23.7
Zonda 1.23.8

Koenigsegg 1.23.9


Gallardo 1.25.8
Chevrolet Corvette 1.26.8


Mercedes CLS 55 AMG 1.26.9
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

It is coming out 07/24/05 and will be on the website www.mininova.org at about 9 PM Pacific time. You have to get a program like azureus to download it. I have been waiting for this review since the start of this series.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

just checked Top Gear's new web site. apperantly James will be reviewing the car, not Jeremy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

tifosi said:
just checked Top Gear's new web site. apperantly James will be reviewing the car, not Jeremy.
Should be a fair judgment since James tested the Maserati Quattroporte for Top Gear last year. Loved the sound, hated the ride.

Problem with track-times on Top Gear are the differences in weather conditions. Not only the rains sometimes spoils the party, also the cold temperatures. Maybe they should do a supercar shoot-out once a year where they put all the best cars against each other on the same day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

Bart B said:
Maybe they should do a supercar shoot-out once a year where they put all the best cars against each other on the same day.
and that'd be Jeremy Clarkson's annual Christmas motoring DVD.
:thumbsup:

he mentioned he'll be reviewing the M5 in the DVD this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

tifosi said:
and that'd be Jeremy Clarkson's annual Christmas motoring DVD.
:thumbsup:

he mentioned he'll be reviewing the M5 in the DVD this year.
Hope Jeremy already did all his performance driving. He told on Top Gear about his back problems. Or is he letting Sabine do the driving?
Can't wait for X-mas. Thanks for the tip.
:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

Bart B said:
Hope Jeremy already did all his performance driving. He told on Top Gear about his back problems. Or is he letting Sabine do the driving?
Can't wait for X-mas. Thanks for the tip.
:cool:
i think he already done filming the video. i remanber he actually made a comment within one of his car review, that he always find himself in the M5 when the filming ends everyday. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
853 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

tifosi said:
just checked Top Gear's new web site. apperantly James will be reviewing the car, not Jeremy.
Nope it'll be Jeremy.

The Top Gear Website said:
Jeremy gives his verdict on the BMW M5, while Richard and James try their hand at Russian roulette road testing. Meanwhile, the Megane Renaultsport 225, Vauxhall Astra VXR and Golf GTi fight it out to be crowned king of the hot hatches.

Millie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

bluebmw said:
Clarkson will the drive the M5 next sunday on top gear. He will say that its better than the F430 which he really liked. On BBC2 @ 8pm.
Thanks for the advance notice. I'm away in France for the weekend so gonna have to program the video......never done that before, will have to learn how, but will good training for iDrive I suppose:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

My bet, faster than CLS 55 AMG... Slower than Ferrari 430 on track :cool2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,638 Posts
Re: M5 on Top Gear next sunday

Thanks for letting us know, although I'm not sure Clarkson can be objective about any BMW :(
 
1 - 20 of 167 Posts
Top